TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Sony SVR-2000 Series 1 for several years...I never thought it was sluggish (responding to remote, changing from one menu to another, etc), but thought it could use a little speed improvement.

I bought a Toshiba RS-TX60 a couple weeks ago, and I am SHOCKED at how slow it is to respond to remote commands and go thru menus, etc. I have a feeling my unit is NOT defective and this sluggishness is just the way it is.

What a surprise that a computer-based gizmo 8 years newer than a previous unit would be much slower than the older unit.

Anyway...

I'm shopping for a new Series 2...at this point I don't care if it has a DVD player or DVD recorder built in (but a built-in player or recorder would be nice), I just want to have a unit that is AT LEAST as fast as my old Sony.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume all series 2 units, even the older ones, are capable of wireless networking, showing pictures, playing MP3's, etc?

Is there anything a 5xx can do that a 2xx can not?

Do you know the specific reason why the 5xx units are slower?

Thanks...

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
2,853 Posts
Yes, all Series2 units have the same software features.

The 5xx units were a HW respin to reduce manufacturing costs to allow prices to be dropped. One of the changes was a change from a standalone USB controller to an integrated USB controller that uses the CPU for some of the processing. The CPU in the 5xx is busier, and ends up being the bottleneck in network transfers. They also seem to be slower in general, I have both and the response time on my 5xx is slower than my 2xx. I don't think it is terribly slow or anything, but if you use a 2xx you notice the lag on the 5xx.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Pioneer 810 and have not noticed any lag or sluggishness while navigating. It has wireless capabilities through use of the USB on the back and a wireless adapter (I use the Linksys). The only drawback i see is the 80 GB harddrive which you can upgrade later if you need to. It also comes with Free Basic Tivo, so if you already have a lifetime on another, there's no additional cost. Thats my 2 cents.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.