TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1636 Posts

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Time Warner Los Angeles, ZIP 90068.

After the initial surprise at the warning (I though the box had lost network access), and a couple of forced connects, the biggest problem I had was removing the 300 extra channels it added into the guide. Compared to many posting here, I feel quite fortunate.

The following are incorrect for me:

-Two channels with no guide data ("To Be Announced"): 126 HD WGN (formerly just 'WGN') and 634 HD UNIV (formerly just 'UNIV'). Channels and content are there, just no guide data. I've filled out the cumbersome form on the TiVo site (which, BTW, is even slower than usual if that's even possible).

-The names of half a dozen local PBS 'side channels' were changed, rendering their Season Passes useless, and so needed to be recreated. Thanks to KMTTG, it was very easy to find them.

-And I have a couple of very recently recorded theatrical release movies from HBO that now don't show up in either "Movies" or "TV Series", only if I select "All". I've had issues with content type being mislabeled before, and it sure would be nice as a feature to add some way to fix mis-tagged items like that.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Because the shows are currently not in the guide, and so the only choice is then "All channels" which I don't want. I'm actually delaying until they start playing again to recreate them.
In that case, I always just keep it at All Channels until they do appear in the guide (then set it to the correct channel). That way you don't have to recreate them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
why do all the descriptions have a * at the end of them?

Also, does anyone have DUAL recordings occuring? I have a scheduled recording occurring and then another recording of the same thing that says REC xx:xx::: CHANNEL duplicated?

·
Registered
445 Posts
But the channel scan doesn't care about the data. It just checks all the frequencies in the spectrum and decides if any of them come in or not. It may not be able to match them up to data, but it should still be able to tune them. If you can't even tune them then the signal is too weak for your specific TiVos tuners. Just because you can pick them up on your TV does not mean the TiVo will be able to see them. Out of all the modern TiVos the Roamio has the best OTA tuners and is able to pick up the most channels. The Bolt is a close second and the Premiere is a distant third. Of all TiVos that ever existed the S3 units had the best OTA tuners and could pick up the most channels. However there were still people who got channels on their TV that the S3 units couldn't get, so the tuners in a TiVo are not as good as those in some TVs.
Thanks for this post. Your findings on tuner capabilities match my own experiences. I've seen so much conflicting info on this that I'm happy to see someone else has observed the same ranking on tuner capabilities that I have seen. I still have an S3 (HD unit) and typically find it will always find the most channels. My main TiVo is a Roamio basic (used exclusively for OTA) and it is a close second, whereas I had to return a Premier I worked with for nearly a month to try and get my channels to tune with little success. I have also tested out a BOLT which while better than the premier could not match the performance of my Roamio.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's good news. 1062 and 1068 are the important ones for me because I have SP's on those channels.

I haven't gotten the update yet, but it covers everything I reported, I think, over 4 different lineup change forms :)

moyekj, is your current lineup "Cox Cable Communications Irvine Standard Cable" or Cox Cable Communications Orange County Standard Cable"?

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
That's good news. 1062 and 1068 are the important ones for me because I have SP's on those channels.

I haven't gotten the update yet, but it covers everything I reported, I think, over 4 different lineup change forms :)

moyekj, is your current lineup "Cox Cable Communications Irvine Standard Cable" or Cox Cable Communications Orange County Standard Cable"?
It's "Cox Cable Communications Orange County Standard Cable" Digital lineup with 92692 zip code.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Rovi episode descriptions have a .* at the end (how cute).
Dumping the raw xml data for the descriptions, I see most of them end in something like "* Copyright Rovi", but a few end in just "Copyright Rovi" without a *. Perhaps somewhere upstream it was a actual copyright symbol character and after being converted from one format to another wound up a *?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Dumping the raw xml data for the descriptions, I see most of them end in something like "* Copyright Rovi", but a few end in just "Copyright Rovi" without a *. Perhaps somewhere upstream it was a actual copyright symbol character and after being converted from one format to another wound up a *?
The "*" is also shown in the cable provider section of System Information. This is clearly being done to distinguish the two guide datas. I'm sure they will remove it eventually.

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
I've just figured out what the guide data (descriptions) remind me of: Movie descriptions feel like they're written in the same breathless dumbed down "How great is THIS?" voice that the descriptions of in-flight movies are.

And I've noticed that there are many where a third of the long description is taken up with the names of the cast, which is then followed by (you guessed it) the names of the cast repeated in blue underneath. :rolleyes:

·
formerly known as "unclehonkey"
2,751 Posts
an update

-Through the Decades on Decades (its a diginet). Decades does a 6 hour loop so its on at 6a, noon, 6p, midnight (Central). Old way would record the 6am one and reject the rest. So why do I have 35 set to record? Oh yeah its apparently thinking every show is NEW (and doesnt see that its the same date on all 4) so it will record all episodes even though its set to NEW...
figured this one out. Tribune (or whatever they are called now) put the episode title as the date (August 25th, July 3rd, etc). Rovi untitles them so it just shows "through the decades" with a generic description. UGH!

-TMZ is on 3 times a day here in Minneapolis (6:30p with replays at 11:35p and 3:30a). Right now it shows "NO episodes to record" so I found TMZ and redid a One Pass...again new episodes only. Guess what? I now have 30+ episodes of it because again Rovi apparently cant figure out they're not all new. Gracenote did
This one is beyond screwed up. So I created a new 1P for it (since the old one showed no episodes). OK when I look in the 1P under episodes it shows all shows as "NEW" yet in the actual guide AND in the "to do list" only the 6:30PM shows are flagged as "new". The others are not.

Another show "Minnesota Prep Spotlight" shows no episodes to record yet there is one on 9/4 in the guide. So I check and again Rovi thinks this isnt the same show as in the OP. So I try to create a new OP and it wont let me. Only option is record. Apparently it thinks the show is some one time special.
this one cleared up. Had to create a new 1P but at least allowed me to create a 1P (yesterday it wouldnt allow me to)

·
I am Groot!
64,310 Posts
I've just figured out what the guide data (descriptions) remind me of: Movie descriptions feel like they're written in the same breathless dumbed down "How great is THIS?" voice that the descriptions of in-flight movies are.
And I notice the same phrases show up again and again (I recall something like "heartwarming family movie"). Like they're checking boxes on a form.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's "Cox Cable Communications Orange County Standard Cable" Digital lineup with 92692 zip code.
I have the Irvine one, 92606. Looks like I got the channel updates this morning.

In addition to some incorrect SD channels like the Tustin & Newport Beach channels that don't tune, the only ones I can see are still wrong are 1301, 1302, 1303, and 1379 -- west coast feeds that should be east.

Also, most of my radio channels aren't working, but it's been so long since I tried to use those, I have no idea if it's TiVo's fault are not.

·
Registered
12,357 Posts
I have the Irvine one, 92606. Looks like I got the channel updates this morning.

In addition to some incorrect SD channels like the Tustin & Newport Beach channels that don't tune, the only ones I can see are still wrong are 1301, 1302 and 1303 -- west coast feeds that should be east.

Also, most of my radio channels aren't working, but it's been so long since I tried to use those, I have no idea if it's TiVo's fault are not.
Don't subscribe to those 1301-3 channels. Anything below 1000 I remove from my channel list as I have no interest in any SD channel. But I set options just now to show all channels in guide and scrolled through and see a few "To be announced" channels meaning they are missing guide information completely. But they are all either don't care or channels I don't receive, so as far as I can tell the channel listings for channels I care about are all correct now.

·
Fangirl
248 Posts
I was swept to Rovi on Friday. My Sunday morning Comcast cartoon guide data has a sad. It seems to have recorded Steven Universe via my existing OnePass but the show title is "Rec: 766 TOONPHD 1:00" and it isn't in the show folder. Is this how non employees report bugs? Thanks.

·
Fangirl
248 Posts
I've seen the sports wishlist issue reported earlier in this thread - just chiming in with a 'me too', as it's actually fairly annoying. Football just started pre-season and my Steelers wishlist doesn't want to record anything unless I set it to repeats and i am not interested in football repeats or the immense amount of recording space they take up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I reported these to TIVO last week but still not corrected so thought I would post here, maybe will have better luck getting corrections made.

Verizon Fios Richmond

75 is SEC Network Alternative should be SEC Network SD
575 is Comcast Sports Net Plus should be SEC Network HD
592 is missing information channel should be Tennis HD
616 One America News is west coast guide should be east coast
649 WE HD is west coast lineup should be east coast

101 - 120 of 1636 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.