TiVo Community Forum banner
741 - 760 of 1636 Posts

·
Cracker Soul
2,494 Posts
This NEVER happened before our ROVI Downgrade. The TIVO knew that it had already recorded that show so there was no reason to record it again 3 hours later.
Ditto. I get three recordings of the "The Kelly File" on Fox News each night now and that never happened prior to the Rovi guide data switch.

·
TiVo's Italian Cuz!
5,275 Posts
+1 The duplicate recordings of O'Reilly (8PM ET & 11PM ET) were happening to me prior to the Rovi conversion. So additional factors may be in play. Not much of a deal for me as, since late June, once a week I just run down the To Do list and hit clear on all 11PM O'Reilly entries.
Well, it never happened to me before the ROVI stuff. I only record 1 show, and it overwrites the next day. I do this so I can start it late as I watch while on a treadmill. It is Only an issue as it is taking a tuner at 8PM and that is primetime!
Never happened for me until the switch. The only time I got the 11PM showing was when there was a conflict at 8PM. Now I always get both unless there is A conflict.
Ditto. I get three recordings of the "The Kelly File" on Fox News each night now and that never happened prior to the Rovi guide data switch.
same same, I get multiples every night.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
I do too but it's not a big deal. I have my 1P set to keep three episodes. So I always have the newest one available.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Maybe because your 3 hours behind NY. The 5pm show for you is the 8PM show for me here in MA. You get 5 and 8, we get 8 and 11. We don't have a 5PM O'Rielly, do you have an 11?
No 11PM as I am on the West Coast. I was on Tivo Chat and they are aware of this and are working on metadata. As usual, there is no ETA.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
What is strange is that the 5PM O'Reilly Factor shows as NEW in the guide and the 8PM does not. My 1P is set to NEW Only.
Maybe because your 3 hours behind NY. The 5pm show for you is the 8PM show for me here in MA. You get 5 and 8, we get 8 and 11. We don't have a 5PM O'Rielly, do you have an 11?
"NEW" in the guide and New for recording purposes are not really related.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Why would the second news show be marked new in the guide, it's a repeat? My 11pm show is not marked new. News is treated like sports.
"NEW" in the guide used to mean that the showing is the same day as the OAD, although I think they are using a different field than the one displayed. Who the heck knows what it means now. Look at last night's "American Horror Story". All three showings have an OAD of 09/22/16 and all three are flagged "NEW" in the guide, including the 1AM showing. Actual OAD should have been 09/21/16.

·
Registered
664 Posts
"NEW" in the guide used to mean that the showing is the same day as the OAD, although I think they are using a different field than the one displayed. Who the heck knows what it means now. Look at last night's "American Horror Story". All three showings have an OAD of 09/22/16 and all three are flagged "NEW" in the guide, including the 1AM showing. Actual OAD should have been 09/21/16.
I am wondering whether the eventual fix for this kind of thing would have to involve both changes to the Rovi data itself and changes to how the TiVo software uses the Rovi data?

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Why would the second news show be marked new in the guide, it's a repeat? My 11pm show is not marked new.
My sense is that the "NEW" sprite visible in the guide is a result of the formula (OriginalAirDate=BroadcastDate), while on recordings it's (OriginalAirDate=DateRecorded).

The 11 PM show may not be marked NEW in the guide because it's a show on a news channel from the east coast, and if you're on the west coast, it's already tomorrow at 2 AM where the show originates, so it's no longer today.

Recording decisions seem to be made on some other basis.

I find someone's reporting of recording a show at 5PM, then recording it again at 8PM, overwriting the 5PM recording, to be pretty obnoxious behavior for a DVR.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If Tivo is smart, they're closely following this thread and the other Rovi guide thread, and basing any potential fixes to the guide data from what we're reporting. Nobody understands this stuff outside Tivo like we do.

I'm eternally optimistic that they even care about getting the guide/WLs/1P/search to function as well as it did using Gracenote data, previous warts and all...

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
I'm eternally optimistic that they even care about getting the guide/WLs/1P/search to function as well as it did using Gracenote data, previous warts and all...
As am I. I was originally not happy with the rollout, but it seems they've worked very hard to fix many issues that resulted from the Rovi change. I do understand that some areas still have issues, but it seems things are getting fixed. After the first two days of guide updates, I had fewer problems than most who post, so easy for me to say.

What I have found is that the three small issues I had were resolved by contacting support directly, whether on the web or by phone. I find it difficult to believe that TiVo personnel are plowing through the literally thousands of posts here and making notes.

The changeover timing could have been better, coming two to four weeks earlier...

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
My sense is that the "NEW" sprite visible in the guide is a result of the formula (OriginalAirDate=BroadcastDate), while on recordings it's (OriginalAirDate=DateRecorded).
Based on what I saw with AHS last night, it appears to be (OAD >= BD)

The 11 PM show may not be marked NEW in the guide because it's a show on a news channel from the east coast, and if you're on the west coast, it's already tomorrow at 2 AM where the show originates, so it's no longer today.
The channel has nothing to do with it. My theory is: if ((OAD == NULL) & (!R)) then NEW.

Recording decisions seem to be made on some other basis.
If the episode has not been previously recorded and the OAD is within 28 days of the showing date, then a NEW only 1P/SP will schedule it. It will also be scheduled if episode specific information is missing.

I find someone's reporting of recording a show at 5PM, then recording it again at 8PM, overwriting the 5PM recording, to be pretty obnoxious behavior for a DVR.
That will only happen if KAM=1.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
As am I. I was originally not happy with the rollout, but it seems they've worked very hard to fix many issues that resulted from the Rovi change. I do understand that some areas still have issues, but it seems things are getting fixed. After the first two days of guide updates, I had fewer problems than most who post, so easy for me to say.

What I have found is that the three small issues I had were resolved by contacting support directly, whether on the web or by phone. I find it difficult to believe that TiVo personnel are plowing through the literally thousands of posts here and making notes.
How nice for you. Meanwhile, some of the data problems get fixed on a piece by piece basis and the the same problem appears again a few days later. Unless they address the root cause, it's going to continue to be a complete mess.

The changeover timing could have been better, coming two to four weeks earlier...
If anything, it was done too early but they were up against a hard deadline.

·
Cat God
17,881 Posts
It really wouldn't have matter as most of the problems started cropping up once the Fall season started.

Prior to that I thought the switch over went rather smoothly (I switched over late August). It wasn't until I realized that some of my network OnePasses somehow now referenced Spanish channels (eg: Once Upon a Time) and other ones wouldn't record because of a lack of an OAD, that I noticed a problem.

The problem is that the TiVo software can only do so much when it gets garbage guide data. Makes me wonder how all of Rovi's other clients handle this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My understanding of how it works is that the "NEW" flag is set in the source data (Rovi or Gracenote). I am not sure how it is set, but it may be sent from the TV networks themselves.

TiVo (and WMC) ignore the NEW flag. It is not used for scheduling a recording.

What is used is the OAD (Original Air Date) of the episode. If the OAD is within a certain number of days of the airing date of the episode, then it is considered new. For TiVo this is 28 days, for WMC it is 7 days.

If two airings of the same show are on the same day, or within 28 or 7 days of each other, they will both be considered new to the DVR, however the DVR will only schedule one to record because it knows that they are the same episode.

And that is the key, the DVR needs to know that they are the same episode. If it does not know they are the same episode, then it just assumes that they are two different episodes that just happen to have the same OAD (as if they were back-to-back new episodes originally for example).

If the two episodes have no Episode Specific Information (ESI), as in they just have "generic" info, then the DVR will record them both by default, because it doesn't know that they are the same episode.

·
Unregistered User
322 Posts
+1

The duplicate recordings of O'Reilly (8PM ET & 11PM ET) were happening to me prior to the Rovi conversion. So additional factors may be in play.

Not much of a deal for me as, since late June, once a week I just run down the To Do list and hit clear on all 11PM O'Reilly entries.
Well, well, well.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=540285

The only thing I remembered wrong about this is that I first saw it in May, not June as I misremembered in my previous post. And I've been seeing it right on through the Rovi conversion with no change. So even though it's not a big deal for me, it seems plausible now that it may not be connected to Rovi data.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
My understanding of how it works is that the "NEW" flag is set in the source data (Rovi or Gracenote). I am not sure how it is set, but it may be sent from the TV networks themselves.
Exactly how did you arrive at that "understanding"? It is at odds with what we actually see and have seen in the past.

741 - 760 of 1636 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.