TiVo Community Forum banner
721 - 740 of 1636 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
??? What's the issue on 10/2? It shows "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" for all episodes that day on USA(on 10/2 from 9AM on). Just Like what the new recording scheduled for tonight shows on NBC.
Then they've fixed it and I (and others) haven't gotten the updated data because the guide on my Roamio shows "Law & Order: Svu" for 10AM, 11AM, 12PM, 6PM, 7PM, 8PM, and 10PM, all with "No information available" and an OAD of 10/2/16. Besides the time (and a few minor things like "R' and "HD"), the only correct thing is the episode title.

·
Registered
664 Posts
In many cases it is not because of the OAD. The issue is Rovi uses different recording ids for repeats. This happens for pretty much all sports and many live events (like news).
Is the recording ID the same thing as the series ID?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
??? What's the issue on 10/2? It shows "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" for all episodes that day on USA(on 10/2 from 9AM on). Just Like what the new recording scheduled for tonight shows on NBC.
While I see the correct title for 9am on 10/2, I also still have the incorrect title at 10am: L&O:Svu S1, E2. It's only S1 that has issues.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
In many cases it is not because of the OAD. The issue is Rovi uses different recording ids for repeats. This happens for pretty much all sports and many live events (like news).
In some cases, it's not that they assign different programIds, they just don't bother to assign one at all.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You didn't specify the show.

I'm guessing that problem is a result of only using the OAD to determine if a show is new. A repeat that is on the same day as the new episode will also record as new since it has the same OAD, that date matches today's date. It's weird because the "new" tag isn't displayed for the repeat, and you'd think the box would be smart enough to figure it out.

It's also weird because channels did this all the time and Tivo didn't have any problems with it until the switch-over.
It is The O'Reilly Factor on Fox News, but it happens elsewhere. I have a 1P for 5PM and tell it only new shows and I keep ONE. Before ROVI, it would see that it went on again at 8PM and know that it was recorded already. Now it records it at 5PM, and then records it again, replacing the 5PM show. Not a big issue but it is taking a tuner at 8PM that I can not afford to loose!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Most shows on the news networks have no episode specific information, so as far as the TiVo knows, every episode is just a generic airing of "The O'Reilly Factor". Since it has no way of knowing that the 5pm and 8pm airing are the same episode, it just records both of them to be safe.

Hopefully TiVo/Rovi will fix this problem with news (and also sports) shows and duplicates can be avoided in the future.

This problem has existed at least since I started getting Rovi data on my WMC machine, and has been reported to Microsoft and Rovi many times. It's over a year later and they have still done nothing about it.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Most shows on the news networks have no episode specific information, so as far as the TiVo knows, every episode is just a generic airing of "The O'Reilly Factor". Since it has no way of knowing that the 5pm and 8pm airing are the same episode, it just records both of them to be safe.

Hopefully TiVo/Rovi will fix this problem with news (and also sports) shows and duplicates can be avoided in the future.

This problem has existed at least since I started getting Rovi data on my WMC machine, and has been reported to Microsoft and Rovi many times. It's over a year later and they have still done nothing about it.
I think this issue has existed for a long time. I observed that any program new is new until midnight if it repeats. This is usually news of course. I'm not a recorder of news or weather, but I can see an issue of shows that are more than just raw news and someone works during prime time. I did that for 5 years and depended on the recording of prime time. The alternative was watching daytime TV. That was not an option.

I still record prime time and watch it during the weekends.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I think this issue has existed for a long time. I observed that any program new is new until midnight if it repeats. This is usually news of course. I'm not a recorder of news or weather, but I can see an issue of shows that are more than just raw news and someone works during prime time. I did that for 5 years and depended on the recording of prime time. The alternative was watching daytime TV. That was not an option.

Being listed as NEW is not the issue. Lots of shows on cable channels are like that. The problem is that unlike Gracenote, Rovi/TiVo is not assigning programIds to episodes of "news" shows.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

This NEVER happened before our ROVI Downgrade. The TIVO knew that it had already recorded that show so there was no reason to record it again 3 hours later.

·
Unregistered User
322 Posts
I think this issue has existed for a long time.
+1

The duplicate recordings of O'Reilly (8PM ET & 11PM ET) were happening to me prior to the Rovi conversion. So additional factors may be in play.

Not much of a deal for me as, since late June, once a week I just run down the To Do list and hit clear on all 11PM O'Reilly entries.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
+1

The duplicate recordings of O'Reilly (8PM ET & 11PM ET) were happening to me prior to the Rovi conversion. So additional factors may be in play.

Not much of a deal for me as, since late June, once a week I just run down the To Do list and hit clear on all 11PM O'Reilly entries.
Well, it never happened to me before the ROVI stuff. I only record 1 show, and it overwrites the next day. I do this so I can start it late as I watch while on a treadmill. It is Only an issue as it is taking a tuner at 8PM and that is primetime!

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
+1

Never happened for me until the switch. The only time I got the 11PM showing was when there was a conflict at 8PM. Now I always get both unless there is A conflict.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
The Daily Show. Gracenote never has episode data for all the reruns that Comedy Central runs on Mondays, so TiVo would always record all of them. (The same was true of The Colbert Report back when that was on.)
I have a ticket for TDS and Late Night to see if they will fix the season and episode numbers. But no Monday repeats so far.

721 - 740 of 1636 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.