TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an update to our Romeo Pro today -- immediately after the update, two things happened: 1) most of our channels began displaying pixelated video, and 2) some of the channels are no longer receiving a signal at all. Strangely, local low and high-def channels are all working fine. We have also have to HD Tivo units and they are all still working fine as well. Anyone else having this problem?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Sure it is possible that you have a bad Roamio but I'm am more suspect of either your CoAX to the Roamio, the CoAX installation in your home and/or the quality of your incoming signal.

My questions to you are
1) what is your signal strength as reported on your TiVOs? (I have between 95 and 100%)
2) what are you showing for corrected and uncorrected errors (I'll guarantee they aren't zero)
3) what is the SNR value (Signal to Noise Ratio) I believe 33dB is the minimum you want, I'm >40dB

From memory I believe all of these values are on the TiVO diagnostics page.

I would check these values on both your Roamio and on the HD units and if there is a major difference between your Roamio and HD units I'd try swapping the HD unit with the Roamio temporarily. I don't know if the HD or the Roamio has a more sensitive receiver, regardless the signal should be strong enough that you shouldn't have any issues.

Search for some of my previous posts regarding Ethernet and CoAX wiring, but in a nutshell, make sure you are using RG-6 not RG-59, make sure all the F connectors are in good condition and the shields aren't exposed at the connector, the CoAX isn't kinked, the bend radius is not exceeded (roughly 1 1/4 inches) and there are no unterminated CoAX ports on any splitters as unterminated CoAX and/or Splitter ports allow for noise to enter your CoAX. Lastly don't use a splitter larger than necessary as each split cuts down your signal.

-TL
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback, Time_Lord,

We did all the diagnostics, tried swapping out the HD units with the Romeo, new cables, etc last night to prove to Tivo the problem wasn't with the cable service. We were even able to pinpoint the time the problem occurred and it did indeed begin immediately after the update. So, help support their position that they weren't the problem, the cable company sent a tech out today to see if he could solve the issue. The tech checked all the lines, the cable entry point, replaced the splitter, and tried adjusting signal strength to reduce the noise. In the meantime, we had Tivo on the phone trying to troubleshoot from their end, but ultimately, neither fixed the problem. Finally, 8 hours of phone calls, and the 1.5 hr service call by the cable tech, later we finally found the problem -- the only thing they hadn't tried was replacing the cable card -- once we picked up and installed a new one, we were back in business. Turns out, the Tivo update corrupted the cable card!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
@Docphantasy thank you for this post. I have Comcast coming out tomorrow for the same issue. I am going to cancel them and just try to go with a cable card replacement. I've checked the wires done the diagnostics and checked all there is to check. I will give the cable card swap a whirl tomorrow then resort to their "techs" if needed.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top