TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few posts recently suggesting that it would be really really cool to have videoblogs available on the TiVo Service.

We're happy to announce a new trial of our video downloading service: Rocketboom is coming to TiVo.

There's a new Showcase, just published tonight, which will allow you to subscribe your DVR to receive a daily dose of Rocketboom goodness. Downloads (to broadband connected Series2 DVRs) should begin on Monday. Videos should be available on your box by dinnertime...that's the goal.

What is Rocketboom? It's one of the leading videoblogs on the net...a daily three minute slice of irreverent news and information. Give it a try. :)

If you don't see the Showcase yet on your DVR, it should appear after the next service connection.

You can also subscribe or get more details at www.tivo.com/rocketboom .

Enjoy! :)

Pony

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pony!!

Excellent!! I asked about rocketboom here and didn't get many responses. I also emailed rocketboom several times about providing a .mpg file, but never got a response. I thought it was becasue they were "mac centric", but I guess you guys got something done with them!!

P

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been a subscriber to Rocketboom videocasts for some time now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's one of the best videocasts out there. I've been trying out various video conversion programs in an attempt to convert my subscribed videocasts from .mov to .mpg format in order to transfer to TiVo, but haven't found a good solution yet. TiVo has just solved my problem, at least in regard to Rocketboom.

I'm so glad to see TiVo make this move. Videocasts are even more suited to TiVo than the podcasts that are now available through the new TiVo Online Services. TiVo getting into the act should be enough incentive for videocasters to produce .mpg versions of their shows.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ChileHead said:
cool ... how about allowing cut & paste of our service number from another screen with dashes, so we don't have to edit those out when subscribing?
they already did this. i just signed up for the new priority listing and you can now cut and paste with the dashes in the number and they are automatically stripped away when you submit it.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Better yet, have an account management page, where you can sub/unsub to those features, and trigger priority updates. Your personal information and TSNs would be pre-entered.

·
Thrice as nice
10,915 Posts
This sounds interesting and I signed up for it. I just hope sooner or later we can add these things directly from the TiVo by getting an "Internet Season Pass" or something so we can easily add and remove these subscriptions. It'd be very annoying to have a separate manage page for each subscription and then have to find them again in order to unsubscribe.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
:up:
rcapolete said:
they already did this. i just signed up for the new priority listing and you can now cut and paste with the dashes in the number and they are automatically stripped away when you submit it.
yep, it worked for me as well with just a cut and paste of the TSN. Dan203 provided them a lot of the javascript to do this :up:

Pony, they need to change the verbiage and example on the page to show that dashes are allowed now

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We serve up a nice picnic lunch, and you guys focus on the plastic silverware. ;)

We'll get the dash/no-dash stuff cleaned up.

But hey, how 'bout that Rocketboom stuff? :D

Pony

·
Wake-Maker!
1,541 Posts
Cool Pony!

·
Previously European
5,387 Posts
Just subscribed.

I really like the direction TiVo is heading in this area

thanks Pony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey - I'm assuming DirecTivo users are left out in the cold on this, correct?

If I bought a new tivo, could I use this feature without a subscription? (Yes, I think this feature is cool enough to warrant buying a 2nd tivo).

I LOVE Rocketboom and think this is awesome. I'd kill for some plastic silverware over here :) since us DirecTV with Tivo users aren't even allowed to eat with our hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pony - does this mean that the series 2 boxes now support subscription to arbitrary RSS feeds with enclosures? (i.e. I want to subscribe to other vodcasts as well). Or is Tivo creating a "walled garden" like the old AOL and ignoring the big-old-scary-internet?

More details please!

·
Thrice as nice
10,915 Posts
phildog said:
Hey - I'm assuming DirecTivo users are left out in the cold on this, correct?

If I bought a new tivo, could I use this feature without a subscription? (Yes, I think this feature is cool enough to warrant buying a 2nd tivo).
Yep, this won't work for DirecTivo units because they don't have any home media features. This is DirecTV's choice and not TiVo's....TiVo very much would like to give you these features. You are required to have a subscription to use any of the home media features so you won't just be able to buy a Series 2 and use it without a sub.

·
L: 37-35
13,312 Posts
TiVoPony said:
We serve up a nice picnic lunch, and you guys focus on the plastic silverware. ;)
Nice lunch :)

Subscribing with the dashes worked for me, however I do agree it would be nice to have one page were you can log in and choose to subscribe/unsubscribe to different features.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.