TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing roamio 3tb storage is 80% full. Planning to get WD 10tb red since it's much cheaper than 8tb. Read that it only 8tb support. Can I still use the same software to format 10tb drive, but only 8tb can be used?

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,940 Posts
MSFR is limited to 8TB. MFSTools is limited to 4TB for Roamio.

If you have the 10TB, I suggest you use it on a NAS instead of in a Roamio. Download and store the shows on the NAS. (Tivo is not really meant as a long term storage medium.) You can download shows with KMTTG, edit out commercials (which are about 1/3) of the program, store on NAS. To transfer back, use PyTivo (or PyTivo Desktop) and transfer back to Tivo when you are ready to watch. (Unless the shows are copy-protected.) The shows on Roamio can be deleted to provide more recording space.

Reactions: net lander

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSFR is limited to 8TB. MFSTools is limited to 4TB for Roamio.

If you have the 10TB, I suggest you use it on a NAS instead of in a Roamio. Download and store the shows on the NAS. (Tivo is not really meant as a long term storage medium.) You can download shows with KMTTG, edit out commercials (which are about 1/3) of the program, store on NAS. To transfer back, use PyTivo (or PyTivo Desktop) and transfer back to Tivo when you are ready to watch. (Unless the shows are copy-protected.) The shows on Roamio can be deleted to provide more recording space.
Thank you. Decided to get a 8tb storage. Now I need to figure out how to do full migration, including settings, and all previously recorded OTA. Doing a lot of reading. Pointers appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.