TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. My Tivo Roamio is having an issue i can't seem to resolve. It's been upgraded to a 3tb WD drive and has a cable card. Basically the problem is that it won't finish the guided setup upon booting. This issue started about 2 weeks ago. I have been in touch with Tivo Technical Support (by phone 4 times now) that they can see my Tivo, it is registered however they see it trying to download a huge update. They said it can't update because I have a port (s) blocked somewhere. The upgrade process was likely triggered so that the Roamio could get on the same version as my recently acquired Tivo mini VOX. It just so happens that I purchased and installed mini about the same time I noticed my Roamio stopped downloading guide updates. As of now the mini works fine and boots up...it just can't communicate with the Roamio.

The guided setup always stops the process at a specific point gives me a code N11. So I called Tivo support and they told me what steps I needed to take, I even followed their pdf instruction on how to fix this. So I am at the point where I have turned off all firewalls on router, cable modem, Windows firewall...everything. I am using GRC.com shields up to see what ports are open. I am currently on the phone with Comcast ISP firewall support team to get the Tivo mandated ports opened. 45 minutes into this 5th call I am still showing the required ports still closed. This is taking a lot of time to try an solve. It must be Comcast blocking these ports if it turns out not to be a hardware issue. A burning question on my mine is... why was my Roamio working for the past 2 years downloading updates without a hitch and then all of a sudden stop for no reason. Why can't Tivo tell me which port needs specific unblocking? Or...maybe perhaps Comcast's monitoring system decided to auto block a port or two cause it saw suspicious activity? i have no clue whats going on. I've done lots of research on google and this forum regarding error N11 or C211. Nothing seem conclusive in most cases. Either the problem resolves itself for some or the thread fizzles away.

It's a bit disconcerting that there seems to be no definitive answer for code N11 and that most of these threads discussing it are lacking in the explaination department. My next steps will obviously be to try and get Tivo support to send me a replacement since my Roamio is still under contract. I'll keep everyone updated as much as I can. i really need this box to work. It has a lifetime subscription, it was expensive...and it's our only way of watching cable tv at this time. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, ive done DMZ, pulled router, connected directly to cable modem, new ethernet cables, the works. Just got off phone with tech support my 4th time. They will allow me to get a refurbed Roamio and transfer lifetime for $150. Looks like my best bet is gonna be those kickstart codes. Thanks. Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I tried all the kickstart code including a few more. Still not working. I attached a screenshot. I called comcast and they said that they can't troubleshoot any ports without me changing out my cable modem to one of there's (XFi X3 modem?) Tivo insists it is a hardware issue (as troublehsooting leaves no futher options) but they previously said it was definitely Comcast or my cable modem blocking the ports.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Hi Ralph. Since your next step may involve losing everything, here are some "last ditch" suggestions. Put back your original drive. Next, do you have any friends or family close by? If they have a free port on their router, you can take the box to their house. You'll need a short length of CAT-5, and HDMI cable (or take your own TV if it's small), and a 12' extension cord. Guided setup does not need coax until it's time to check the channels. If they are close enough the coax could be used, but that's not a networking issue. Also, if you plug into their router, there are no security issues like you would have with WiFi (which sucks on a Roamio).

My money says it's your router (50%) or Comcast (50%). Last year my cable company was playing with the idea of using TiVo boxes. They blocked TiVo.com. That was a bad day for me.

Screen shot?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am connected directly to D-Link DCM-301 cable modem. No router or switches in between. I just got off the phone with Comcast internet support. Nice gentleman in that dept. says its more than likely the cable modem or Tivo service. Sorry i didnt include screen shot. Here it is.

Font Screenshot Gadget Electronic device Multimedia

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I am connected directly to D-Link DCM-301 cable modem. No router or switches in between. I just got off the phone with Comcast internet support. Nice gentleman in that dept. says its more than likely the cable modem or Tivo service. Sorry i didnt include screen shot. Here it is.
There's an Internet Diagnostic in the Network Settings/Diagnostics display. That should pass. Try a far away zip code. Something in the download is making your TiVo unhappy. It happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Comcast technical support phone system flagged my area as service compromised (outage). No supprise there for as many calls as ive put through. I also just got a direct call from Comcast Level 2 engineering (NOC) in Chicago wanting as much detail as possible. From my perspective this whole issue seems to be related to a combination of my Tivo mini and Roamio trying to upgrade to the same version, the discontinuation of Xfinity on demand and being that the Roamio is older. Calls/complaints are starting to trickle in on both sides as people guides are running out and no longer updating.

Looks like ill be waiting for some type of patch. This is a really long wait...been almost 3 weeks now. In the mean time Comcast recommends that I don't replace any hardware as my cable modem and network appear to be working fine. I agree...seems like a software level issue.

For those of you that have a Roamio and Comcast ..dont restart guided setup. This will reboot the Tivo and might cause a similar issue as mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the EXACT thing that just happened to me too. I did all the suggestions here and on WeakKnees forum. Fortunately, the Summer Breeze 2019 offer came along so I ordered a Bolt cable/OTA to replace my Roamio cable/OTA. I had gotten a free VOX remote at the release party so I already had that feature, and my TV is 720p so not going to see that difference. But I was able to successfully set up the new Bolt. It even gets around the issue I was having with my HDMI splitter not allowing my second TV to connect w/o jumping thru hoops.

I have not received the email to return the old Roamio so I am still playing with getting it working. But it looks like when this happens to the Roamio the unit is a goner. The support guy was so quick to say it, I thought he was just trying to get me to buy a new TiVo, but I guess he had just seen enough of these to know.

-Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.