TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to transplant a the hard drive of a Roamio to an identical Roamio unit in order to preserve shows?

I have a 6 tuner Roamio that is having ongoing pixelation on selected channels, a few minutes after the box is power cycled. (I.e., for the first 5 minutes or so, no pixellation, and then it comes on with a vengeance.) I'm afraid the tuner may have cooked when we were on vacation over three weeks and the house went over 95 degrees. When we came home Time Warner Terminal adapter was dead, so that had to be replaced. (Also, for those who may wonder -- the terminal adapter is in parallel, not inline with the Tivo)

I still have some troubleshooting to do, but I am fearing the Tivo's tuner "heats" up and everything starts going bad.

Also, does anyone know of circumstances / promotions where Tivo will transfer lifetime on a box? For obvious reasons, I will not want to "upgrade" my box to the new "bent" units.

Thanks,

d.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Is it possible to transplant a the hard drive of a Roamio to an identical Roamio unit in order to preserve shows?

I have a 6 tuner Roamio that is having ongoing pixelation on selected channels, a few minutes after the box is power cycled. (I.e., for the first 5 minutes or so, no pixellation, and then it comes on with a vengeance.) I'm afraid the tuner may have cooked when we were on vacation over three weeks and the house went over 95 degrees. When we came home Time Warner Terminal adapter was dead, so that had to be replaced. (Also, for those who may wonder -- the terminal adapter is in parallel, not inline with the Tivo)

I still have some troubleshooting to do, but I am fearing the Tivo's tuner "heats" up and everything starts going bad.

Also, does anyone know of circumstances / promotions where Tivo will transfer lifetime on a box? For obvious reasons, I will not want to "upgrade" my box to the new "bent" units.

Thanks,

d.
You can transplant the drive to another Roamio, but you have to run Clear & Delete All to make it functional. The recordings are encrypted and can only be read by the motherboard that recorded them.

Recordings that aren't copy-protected can be copied to a computer and transferred to the new Roamio with TiVo Desktop or a combination of kmttg and pyTivo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can transplant the drive to another Roamio, but you have to run Clear & Delete All to make it functional. The recordings are encrypted and can only be read by the motherboard that recorded them.

Recordings that aren't copy-protected can be copied to a computer and transferred to the new Roamio with TiVo Desktop or a combination of kmttg and pyTivo.
Appreciate the reply.

Thanks Time Warner! I lose (nearly!) everything. OTOH, Tivo really should have had a secure means to transfer a decryption key after all these years, for "repair" situations. **sigh**

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 6 tuner Roamio that is having ongoing pixelation on selected channels, a few minutes after the box is power cycled. (I.e., for the first 5 minutes or so, no pixellation, and then it comes on with a vengeance.)
I have a Roamio Plus with the same issue, and am aware of others with that issue as well, so you may not be dealing with a hardware issue. I have vague recollections that this started after a specific TiVo software release, but I can't be 100% certain as it's been this way for several months.

I've sent TiVo a bunch of diagnostic info and from their response it *seems* there is a known software bug that may be related. Maybe try a PM to TiVoSarah and see if she has any input?

·
Registered
640 Posts

Thanks,

d.
Make sure its the tuner and not the hard drive, and also dust out the vents, clean the fan, see how it runs with a fan blowing on it all the time, etc. The air flow just might have degraded. Also try swapping cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.