TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
This happened to me for the very first time, also yesterday. I can't pinpoint when it stopped taking remote input because I was out all day, but when I returned home at 7:30pm Wednesday night, I had a live signal working fine through my Roamio, but it wouldn't respond to any remote signal (although the light would flash on the front of the box, so it was aware the remote was being pressed). My first thought was that it was related to the remote's ID code (I have 3 TiVos and 3 remotes, all set to different codes). But I thought the easiest thing to try was a reboot, so I yanked the plug, plugged it back in, and everything was fine again after the reboot.

Now that I've read this thread, I'll try disconnecting the cable in and the Ethernet before a reboot if it happens again.

It's pretty clear that this isn't happening at random times. It's happening on VERY SPECIFIC DAYS. I don't know what that means, but it clearly means something.
This also happened to me yesterday when I got home from work. Had live TV and yellow light would go on when pressing the remote but it would not respond or do anything. Had to pull the plug. Only on my Roamio Plus though. Others seem unaffected. It has happened twice now since the 20.4.5 update.

·
Too Big to Fail
980 Posts
One more victim here -- happened to my wife yesterday. First time we have seen this issue.

The Tivo was playing live TV, and recording one show. No response to any remote button (other than LEDs blinking on the front panel), and no response from the Tivo iPhone app.

Recovered by cycling power.

·
Go Giants!
329 Posts
Happened the night of 1/21, first time. Had to reboot the Roamio. It was showing CBS, but would not respond to anything.

Found out after reboot that the wife was watching via the Mini while working out and it messed her up, so streaming was up, but not the main unit.

·
1,108 Posts
Another instance here a couple of days here. Both the Harmony remote (which uses IR) and the RF TiVo remote got the expected orange light, but otherwise no response. Just gave up and pulled the plug, and, like others have reported, everything is fine.

Good to know about pulling the Ethernet plug, in case it happens again. TiVo seems to have a lot of issues recently with networking bugs locking up the system. I seem to recall that there was an issue a few months back where sometimes a TiVo wouldn't even boot until the Ethernet plug was pulled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened today to me.

Did not respond to the remote but it was receiving the signal. No channel change, guide, nothing. Mini would show live TV only. No access to anything else. Also got the C501 error on the Mini. Thought it might be a network error maybe at this point somehow.

First thing I did was unplug my Ethernet cable on the Roamio and BAM! guide popped up and everything was functioning as normal again. I plugged it back in, ran some network tests and everything was as normal. No reboot required. YMMV
Second occurrence of this happened tonight. No other issues since my original post about it in January. I tried to pull the Ethernet cable like I did the last time and the Tivo rebooted itself instead of snapping out of its funk. Working fine since it rebooted though. Just a little weird.... Guess I will just keep an eye on it :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Second occurrence of this happened tonight. No other issues since my original post about it in January. I tried to pull the Ethernet cable like I did the last time and the Tivo rebooted itself instead of snapping out of its funk. Working fine since it rebooted though. Just a little weird.... Guess I will just keep an eye on it :D
Think this just happened to me tonight. Turned on TV and receiver, live TV playing fine. TiVo wouldn't respond to anything. Lights on TiVo responded to remote clicks fine. Went to press the green power button to put it roamio plus into standby.....didn't go into it right away, then after 15 seconds the roamio restarted. Been ok since.

-Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having the same problem. Screen freezes for no apparent reason. Remote doesn't work except to cause orange light to blink. Disconnecting the antenna while unit is stuck has no effect. Disconnecting the ethernet cable has no effect either. After a few minutes the unit reboots and is fine. But the same thing repeats again within less than an hour or two.

Roamio connected to OTA antenna. Moca Network to Tivo Mini. I just received this refurbished unit this week in exchange for a 5 month old Roamio (plus $50) that was doing the same thing.

Has anyone found any solution to this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
This has happened to me something like 6 times now. Only on one of my two Roamios. Just found this thread so will be sure to try coax/Ethernet fixes next time. Always seems to be during a recording and I get 2 recordings. Not the same show eachbtime. Since this occurs far apart in time, I can't recollect other constants, if they exist.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just experienced this problem for the 1st time. I had the Roamio paused on a recording and got sidetracked doing other things. When I came back, it was over an hour later, still paused on the recording, but it wouldn't respond to the remote at all.

I power cycled it. After it came back up, I looked at Account & System Info, and it was missing a whole bunch of data that's normally there. Recording capacity, free disk space, MBT, and other info I don't remember were all blank. It also had a C133 network error, so I went into Network to check it, it froze on "please wait...", and wouldn't respond to the remote. After many minutes, it restarted on it's own a 2nd time. Now it seems fine and System Info has all the data filled in.

It seems like the Roamio got into a really bad state somehow, but I don't know what caused it.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
was anyone able to find a fix for this issue? my roamio seems to become unresponsive to the remote inputs (but still blinks as they are received) more frequently these days.
Is the remote in IR or RF mode? If RF, next time it doesn't respond, check the LED and see if its red or amber.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times and I just puled the plug, but I got home tonight and it has a bunch of recordings going so I decided to play around.

• One observation I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread is that if i press the "clear" button it briefly pops up the time bar which shows up like a recording - the left side of the bar has the TiVo logo and it goes up to 1hr. Below the bar it shows paused at 59 min. However, it is clearly showing Live TV on a channel that is not recording (and the time was xx:34 at this point).
  • As noted earlier, "zoom" button cycles through the modes and "up" cycles through resolutions. No other buttons have any effect.
  • Pulling the HDMI cable and ethernet cable did nothing. I have it set up to bridge MoCA/Ethernet but don't want to pull the coax since it will mess up the recordings (also it's a PITA).
  • Streaming to phone or Tivo mini seems fine.
  • Using the android app, I tried going to a different channel in the guide and selecting watch -> on TV. THe first time, that had no effect. The second time the app displayed "updating" and spun forever until I killed it.
  • Also on the android app, I selected the current channel, watch -> on phone. This started a recording and started streaming. Then I stopped streaming and it prompted me to delete the video, which I did. The TV playback "dropped out" very briefly but then it was back in the same state

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times and I just puled the plug, but I got home tonight and it has a bunch of recordings going so I decided to play around.

• One observation I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread is that if i press the "clear" button it briefly pops up the time bar which shows up like a recording - the left side of the bar has the TiVo logo and it goes up to 1hr. Below the bar it shows paused at 59 min. However, it is clearly showing Live TV on a channel that is not recording (and the time was xx:34 at this point).
  • As noted earlier, "zoom" button cycles through the modes and "up" cycles through resolutions. No other buttons have any effect.
  • Pulling the HDMI cable and ethernet cable did nothing. I have it set up to bridge MoCA/Ethernet but don't want to pull the coax since it will mess up the recordings (also it's a PITA).
  • Streaming to phone or Tivo mini seems fine.
  • Using the android app, I tried going to a different channel in the guide and selecting watch -> on TV. THe first time, that had no effect. The second time the app displayed "updating" and spun forever until I killed it.
  • Also on the android app, I selected the current channel, watch -> on phone. This started a recording and started streaming. Then I stopped streaming and it prompted me to delete the video, which I did. The TV playback "dropped out" very briefly but then it was back in the same state
Have you tried resetting the HD UI ((Thumbs down, Thumbs up, play, play)?

Scott

·
Registered
188 Posts
I didn't try that. When my recordings were done I pulled both coax and ethernet to no avail. I pulled the power and it was installing an update for a long time (~30 min, including 1 reboot) which worried me a bit. When it came back it definitely had a software update, I got a message about screen reader, etc., and it was fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently experiencing the same problem, "roamio does not accept remote commands". I've tried several reboots (pulling plug). I've tried 2 separate remotes. Unable to control the Roamio in any way other than pulling the plug and rebooting.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts