TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 20.4.5 on Friday (3 days ago).

Turned my tv on just now and there was no sound (old problem that apparently regressed in 20.4.5). Did an instant replay and sound came back as usual, but now Roamio Pro stopped responding to remote (other than remote activity light). In addition the TiVo iOS app won't connect locally, only will connect in away mode. I can stream, but not use LAN functions.

I tried accessing the Roamio from my Premiere and got a spinning circle and then finally the old style SD My Shows screen. I can stream videos that way, but something is definitely off.

It appears to be recording based on streaming, but I can't interact with the box at all.

I've seen the UI lock up in the past and it would usually reboot on it's own, but never stop responding to TiVo app locally or simply stop working.

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't the remote. I rebooted and it started working again. The box was just hosed. I saw some more problems after it rebooted:

1. A 61 minute recording that finished while the box was stuck, before I rebooted says it's 121 minutes long in My Shows, though it is only 61 minutes when playing.

2. I rebooted while the box was recording a SP. When it booted up it started recording again as usual, so there were 2 recording. When the "second" record finished it deleted itself. It wasn't in the Recently Deleted Folder. It was like what happens when suggestions are canceled. That is bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had this exact same problem last night too! Been on 20.4.5 since the middle of last week. Same exact scenario with the Roamio suddenly being totally unresponsive to the remote and being unable to connect via my ipad. Orange response light on the Roamio would flash when the remote was used but there was always no result. Checked my Mini and it was able to connect and access tuners on the Roamio but could not access My Shows. Had 3 recordings happening at the time that were all working.

Rebooted the box and Roamio and all has been fine since. It started second recordings of the 3 shows that appeared to all be fine. Will be watching those today so I will see if there are any issues with them and report back. Roamio was still working fine this morning. Very odd. Wonder if its related to 20.4.5?

·
Super Moderator
59,629 Posts
It wasn't the remote. I rebooted and it started working again. The box was just hosed. I saw some more problems after it rebooted:

1. A 61 minute recording that finished while the box was stuck, before I rebooted says it's 121 minutes long in My Shows, though it is only 61 minutes when playing.

2. I rebooted while the box was recording a SP. When it booted up it started recording again as usual, so there were 2 recording. When the "second" record finished it deleted itself. It wasn't in the Recently Deleted Folder. It was like what happens when suggestions are canceled. That is bad.
#2 could be because there was no signal. If a recording completes and it's empty due to lack of signal then it just deletes itself like that. After a reboot it can take a minute for the CableCARD and TA to sync up so the TiVo might have tried to start the recording before they were ready and got an error and just never recovered from it.

The main issue use to happen all the time on the Premiere units. It was related to the TA. If you unplugged the TA the TiVo would usually recover after a minute or two without needing to be rebooted. Perhaps they changed something and accidentally brought back that bug?

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
#2 could be because there was no signal. If a recording completes and it's empty due to lack of signal then it just deletes itself like that. After a reboot it can take a minute for the CableCARD and TA to sync up so the TiVo might have tried to start the recording before they were ready and got an error and just never recovered from it.
I don't have a TA so I don't think that's it, plus I checked it out while it was recording and there was a signal.

That issue is less of a problem (for me) than the complete lock up. I've seen the Roamio become unresponsive in the past and when it did, it would reboot on it's own within a minute. In this case the "core" functionality of the box was actually doing what it normally does since recordings were starting and stopping.

The problem was that remote access was completely blocked and the network functionality was wonky since the iOS app couldn't make a direct connection to the box, but could connect via the mind server and local TiVo boxes could access the My Show of the Roamio Pro and stream, but only in the old SD (Series 3) mode. I've never seen the later problem before.

All in all, the box was in a bad state user-wise, but no recordings would have been lost had I not rebooted while a recording was in progress.

·
Super Moderator
59,629 Posts
Next time it happens try pressing...

"Thumbs Down - Thumbs Up - Play - Play"

That will reboot the UI so if it's just the UI that's locked it might get it back up and running without having to reboot the whole box.

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next time it happens try pressing...

"Thumbs Down - Thumbs Up - Play - Play"

That will reboot the UI so if it's just the UI that's locked it might get it back up and running without having to reboot the whole box.
I actually tried that, but it was apparently too far gone as nothing happened.

For the two that have experienced this freeze (morac and juvi77) please email your TSN to me at [email protected].
Will do. Thanks.

Edit: I accidentally sent the email without a subject, so if you get an email without a subject, that's from me. :)

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone recommend checking the History for my "The Blacklist" recording to see why the second part of the recording deleted itself.

The reason given was "Duplicate", which makes no sense since that's not a deletion reason. That's a reason for not recording.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll send along my TSN also. Watched my recordings last night from when it happened and both were fine. Nothing was deleted accidentally. Recordings were just split into 2 parts from when the reboot took place!

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the past 2 days, my Roamio Pro has not responded to remote commands (note: I tried both with Roamio RF remote and Logitech Harmony using IR). I can even walk up to the unit to hit the “standby” button, the (remote) light flashes and doesn’t do anything. The only way to get it to respond is to pull the plug and reboot. As a side note, it does appear that my shows are still being recorded, and even more strange, my Minis are still continuing to get live and recorded TV sent to them.

My Roamio did not freeze up at all prior to newest update (20.4.5c) as far as I can recall.

I'm emailing my TSN to Margret, but the last time I had an issue, she didn't even respond to my email, so I'm not hopeful. Is there any solution yet?

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't seen it since my initial post, so I don't know if it's simply a rare occurrence or I'm not triggering it.

The day before I had the problem, I was exploring Amazon and Vudu a lot, but I haven't used them since I had the problem. I have used YouTube though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the past 2 days, my Roamio Pro has not responded to remote commands (note: I tried both with Roamio RF remote and Logitech Harmony using IR). I can even walk up to the unit to hit the “standby” button, the (remote) light flashes and doesn’t do anything. The only way to get it to respond is to pull the plug and reboot. As a side note, it does appear that my shows are still being recorded, and even more strange, my Minis are still continuing to get live and recorded TV sent to them.
Had almost the exact same problem this morning with my Harmony Ultimate and Roamio remote. No response from either, standby button flashes the remote button, and a hard reboot was required to fix the problem.

For me, my Mini was *not* receiving programming; I got a 501C error trying to read recorded programming, although I could receive live TV.

Sent my TSN to Margret; we'll see what happens.

This has never happened before... and interestingly, this is one year to the day since I bought and registered my Roamio Pro. It's also one year to the day since one of the great Tivo Service outages. Maybe Cthuhlu just hates TiVo on December 3rd. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had almost the exact same problem this morning with my Harmony Ultimate and Roamio remote. No response from either, standby button flashes the remote button, and a hard reboot was required to fix the problem.

For me, my Mini was *not* receiving programming; I got a 501C error trying to read recorded programming, although I could receive live TV.
I had this exact thing happen this morning for the first time with my 15 month old 20.4.5c Roamio and 2 week old TiVo Mini. Sent my TSN to Margret; we'll see what happens.

After reboot the Roamio worked ok. It had not recorded a show it should have been but started to after reboot. I watched a couple of things and after 20 minutes it stopped responding again. I was watching a recorded show and the play button brought up an empty progress bar (just the black background, no green bar, no time markings) but other buttons didn't work.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just happened to me. Hit the TiVo button, heard the TiVo bong and then nothing. The remote stopped working on my Roamio Basic (Comcast Cable) version 20.4.5c. Had to reboot to fix it.

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I shouldn't have posted yesterday as the GUI lockup happened to my Roamio Pro again today when I went to use it. Box was completely unresponsive except for the remote activity light flashing. TiVo iOS app would only connect in away mode.

Basically the same symptoms as last time. This is definitely a new problem with 20.4.5 as it didn't happen in older software.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts