TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Roamio Plus MoCA Network Problem

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  fcfc2 
#1 ·
I have a TiVo Roamio Plus and 4 TiVo minis. Everything worked fine in my previous home in the St Louis Metro using a MoCA network with Charter Spectrum as my cable and internet provider. I moved to KC about 6 weeks ago. Comcast Xfinity is my new provider. Two different techs could not get my TiVo minis to work but I was able to figure it out. Everything worked perfectly for 5 weeks. Late last week I arrived home to discover one of the minis couldn’t connect to the Roamio Plus and soon verified none of them could connect. I tried rebooting everything without success but didn’t have time to problem solve before leaving town. Monday night I unplugged the Roamio Plus and the modem/router combo for 10 minutes, then brought the modem/router back online, waited 10 minutes and plugged the Roamio back in and repeated guided set-up with success. All the minis were then working. One day later I arrived home and turned on the TV and discovered the mini wasn’t connected again. The Roamio Plus can’t connect to the MoCA network (C33 error). I tried rebooting like I did before but it’s not working. Why does this keep happening? Any suggestions? I haven’t called Comcast this time because the last time they were no help and said things like, “why would you want to still use TiVo?” and, “I think you solution is to use our boxes.” I can watch live TV on the Roamio Plus and it’s still recording and playing fine since it just had a successful program download 2 days ago. I am able to connect to WiFi internet on my phone and laptop just fine but I can’t get the Roamio Plus connected. I can’t keep wasting hours trying to problem solve this but don’t want to pay for Comcast DVRs when I have lifetime service on my Roamio Plus and all of these minis. Any help greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you using any Comcast boxes in the setup including a router or modem? You may have a conflict in MoCA networks meaning a Comcast device is creating a MoCA also and that's crashing your TiVo MoCA.
The only Comcast product I am using is the modem/router supplied by Comcast during the initial set-up. It's the only modem/router I'm using and the TiVos all worked fine for 5 weeks with the same modem/router. I can't figure out why my TiVo MoCA is suddenly crashing when I didn't touch/change any of the equipment.

#5 ·
If the Comcast modem has MoCA enabled, shouldn't changing the Roamio Plus network setting to "Join a MoCA network" rather than "create" a MoCA network solve this problem (the Minis don't have the ability to create or bridge a network, only to join the network)?

Pure speculation, but it's possible that Comcast forced out a modem update that changed the MoCA default settings, which is why things worked well for five weeks, and then suddenly don't.

#6 ·
I have been using "join a MoCA network" rather than "create." Originally the Comcast tech used "create" and he took down the network. I started googling, realized what had happened, disconnected the TiVo to restore the network and then restarted the TiVo and joined rather than created. That was 6 weeks ago and it worked perfectly for 5 weeks.

The modem update is an interesting theory which would explain why going through guided set-up worked a Monday night but doesn't explain why I can't get it to work again. Or does it? I'm no expert.

#8 ·
While a POE filter might be an issue, the five week period of MoCA working indicates to me that it's not a primary factor in this failure.

I'm still of the mind that a Comcast update changed a status/function switch in the Modem configuration. Perhaps what was "on" is now "off" as far as MoCA and the modem is concerned. From the network troubleshooting page on the Roamio, do you see any MoCA network nodes listed? Given that the Mini's aren't working, if the Modem is still creating a network and it's linking to the Roamio, you should see it in the diagnostics page, along with the Roamio. If it's not, then you might try changing the Romio Plus back to "create a network" under the MoCA settings. It won't require going through guided setup again.

#11 ·
Over time there have been repeated reports of issues with Comcast gateways changing their MoCA settings, usually from On to Off, and the recommended fix was to contact Comcast Tech Support and request that their gateways be "white listed", which basically means removed from the periodic gateway resets which changed these settings. This would be option 1, get it white listed.
If you have the ability to create the MoCA network with your Tivo then you could simply place another MoCA filter on it's input blocking any MoCA activity either way. This would not resolve the issue of having a proper MoCA filter installed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home. I would call this mandatory on all but Fios systems, but some just say "highly recommended". Only foolish folks who don't mind being careless with their privacy and security operate without using a filter although a measure of security can be added if you use encryption with your MoCA network, however not all MoCA devices support encryption, and there are other advantages to using a proper MoCA filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.