TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When swapping out 1TB to 2TB on Roamio Plus, can I keep cable card pairing information?

I do not care about the recordings, only pairing, the season pass is already backed up using kmttg.

I understand the cable card info is on the drive and if I remove old HD and insert new HD (swap) I likely need to pair up again. These days that process is painfully long.

Might I instead be able to use DVRBARs and not select root, use MFSTools 3.3?

Thanks

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
739 Posts
If you use MFSTools (specifically the MFSCopy function, followed by MFSAdd and MFSAddfix to expand the space to fit the new bigger drive) you will have an effective copy of the existing drive - so you won't have to redo GS or cablecard pairing (and also keep your recordings).

Just a warning, depending on how much is on the old drive it can take quite some time.

Edit: Snerd and I wrote our comments at the same time - use his link for more information, very useful.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
If you use MFSTools (specifically the MFSCopy function, followed by MFSAdd and MFSAddfix to expand the space to fit the new bigger drive) you will have an effective copy of the existing drive - so you won't have to redo GS or cablecard pairing (and also keep your recordings).
Up to 4TB you don't even need to expand the drive afterwards. The mfscopy function in MFS Tools will take care of that in one step. You can skip the 'a' in the '-ai' mfscopy command line if you don't care about the actual recordings, but if your 1TB drive still works I would just copy the whole thing.

DvrBARS does NOT expand into additional space during a restore and it wasn't written for Roamios or later. Its Full Backup/Restore mode would work, but it wouldn't save any time and you would need at least 1TB of space on your computer to hold the temporary image.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Hi,
When swapping out 1TB to 2TB on Roamio Plus, can I keep cable card pairing information?
I do not care about the recordings, only pairing, the season pass is already backed up using kmttg.
I understand the cable card info is on the drive and if I remove old HD and insert new HD (swap) I likely need to pair up again. These days that process is painfully long.
Thanks
Any hardware change will lose pairing. But you may not notice unless you have premium channels. I swapped a hard drive and waited a year before getting it paired again. Sorry your feed is so slow. Mine does it in five minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You, everyone!

To keep cable card pairing info, by consensus, I should and will use MFS Tools.

Just now I made the usb boot disk fromv3.3. Another thought. I used DVRBARs a long time ago and was so tickled or impressed with its cleanliness simplicity speed and features - had to ask about that too.

After I swap 1TB for 2TB and finish, I will post success for the next to review.

In the moment, just tonight, I was rerouted to help a friend who's down-hard with a broken carver tfm 55, keep telling him dont run at 2-ohm continous high vol, without magic smoke will appear. I have one can loan so that now makes me his *best* friend tonight! ;-)

·
Cheesehead
11,539 Posts
Any hardware change will lose pairing. But you may not notice unless you have premium channels. I swapped a hard drive and waited a year before getting it paired again. Sorry your feed is so slow. Mine does it in five minutes.
I had no idea one was supposed to re-pair the cable card. I put a 3TB drive in my Roamio Plus about three years ago. Just swapped drives, no PC-based tools used. I don't have any premium channels, just expanded basic cable. Still got all my channels.

I checked the cable card Conditional Access screen and it shows Val: ? 0x45
So I guess that means it isn't paired. Oh well. Is there any reason to do it at this point? Just for the unlikely event I add premium channel?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I had no idea one was supposed to re-pair the cable card. I put a 3TB drive in my Roamio Plus about three years ago. Just swapped drives, no PC-based tools used. I don't have any premium channels, just expanded basic cable. Still got all my channels.
I checked the cable card Conditional Access screen and it shows Val: ? 0x45
So I guess that means it isn't paired. Oh well. Is there any reason to do it at this point? Just for the unlikely event I add premium channel?
Like I said, I waited a year. But if you get free time.... BTW, that 0x45 means that card has been paired 45 times.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
One more thing ...

JoeKustra : Hey, I will also (first) swap in a "bare" 2TB to see if pairing will remain as I do not have premium channels. Very curious...
That might prevent the copy of your original 1T2 to 2TB from working. I believe the point of the copy/clone is to make the larger drive match an info stored in the TiVo flash memory so that it won't automatically format the drive.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
In the moment, just tonight, I was rerouted to help a friend who's down-hard with a broken carver tfm 55, keep telling him dont run at 2-ohm continous high vol, without magic smoke will appear. I have one can loan so that now makes me his *best* friend tonight
Wow, I haven't thought of Carver amps in years! I remember wanting one way back when. I think it was the cube one (M400?). :)

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone, All went well.
Thank you ALL for all the comments for Roamio Plus hard drive swap from 1TB to 2TB HD.

I received a bad 2TB WD purple drive from Amazon, that caused several days of anguish, no fault to Amazon.

By the time I received a functional 2TB drive, Roamio, true to legend, broke in fair mutiny; seems the family relation between motherboard and hard drive swore unclean.

As I held Tivo suddenly went really noisy (sounds like front end wheel bearings on a 4x4, complete with sloppy steering aka comparable to - Tivo freeze frame and lock/reboot etc...flickiering lights on Roamio front). Scary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.