TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am having some issues trying to get my Roamio OTA set up on a MOCA network.

I currently have the following:
1 Roamio OTA
1 TiVo mini
1 DSL modem/router
1 TiVo bridge
1 MOCA capable splitter

The Roamio OTA is in the same room as the DSL modem/router and the mini is in another room. I have tried every combination I can think of based on the info on the TiVo site and Google searches and can't get the Roamio working with MOCA.

Any suggestions on basic setup or if I am missing something I need?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Roamio OTA is in the same room as the DSL modem/router, then it will simply be connected to the router via a Cat5/6 cable and configured as an Ethernet client.
And how do I get the mini in another room to connect to the roamio? That is where I have been trying to connect with the tivo bridge and cannot get a connection

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
And how do I get the mini in another room to connect to the roamio? That is where I have been trying to connect with the tivo bridge and cannot get a connection
Ok, that's a different objective ... which I'll come back to.

But, first, just to be clear... You have the Roamio OTA setup and working at its intended location? (It's able to connect to the TiVo service via an Ethernet connection through the router, is connected to an antenna via coax for access to TV signals, and can tune your desired/expected channels?)

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
Short answer:
  • MoCA adapter at the router location, connected via Cat5/6 to the router's Ethernet LAN and via coax to the shared coax plant;
  • Mini connected to the same coax plant and configured as a MoCA client.

Longer, authoritative answer requires add'l info...

How are the two locations linked via coax? (i.e. Is a coax outlet available at each of the TiVo box locations? The coax outlets are linked through/via what coax components? Is the antenna connection to the Roamio OTA a separate coax line isolated from the home's shared coax plant?)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short answer:
  • MoCA adapter at the router location, connected via Cat5/6 to the router's Ethernet LAN and via coax to the shared coax plant;
  • Mini connected to the same coax plant and configured as a MoCA client.

Longer, authoritative answer requires add'l info...

How are the two locations linked via coax? (i.e. Is a coax outlet available at each of the TiVo box locations? The coax outlets are linked through/via what coax components? Is the antenna connection to the Roamio OTA a separate coax line isolated from the home's shared coax plant?)
Thanks for the info.
I have it set up as described in your short answer. The line from the antenna goes straight to the roamio and is separate from the rest. The coax from the MOCA adapter feeds the coax wiring throughout my home. I'm not really sure what the coax components are in the home wiring. Its the general wiring in the house that has been used for cable in the past.

The mini seems to acknowledge the MOCA but says no network connection available and doesn't see the roamio. So I don't think the MOCA network is actually working, the mini might just say that when connected to coax.

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
The mini seems to acknowledge the MOCA but says no network connection available and doesn't see the roamio. So I don't think the MOCA network is actually working, the mini might just say that when connected to coax.
Can the Mini connect to the TiVo service (via a manual/forced service connection) or access any of the Internet streaming services via the associated apps?

If the Mini is new to your account, see the following post Re: Mini activation:

MoCa with separate OTA coax

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can the Mini connect to the TiVo service (via a manual/forced service connection) or access any of the Internet streaming services via the associated apps?

If the Mini is new to your account, see the following post Re: Mini activation:

MoCa with separate OTA coax
The mini is active on my account I've been using it with a 50ft lan cable running down the hall. Trying to get the moca working to get rid of that cable.

The mini doesn't seem to be connected to a MOCA network. I'm get a MOCA network problem C33 error.

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
The mini doesn't seem to be connected to a MOCA network. I'm get a MOCA network problem C33 error.
Yep, that's the error code when the MoCA connection can't be established. And makes me wonder if the two locations actually have connectivity between them.

One quick test you may want to perform is to temporarily move the Mini to the Roamio OTA TV location where you can connect it directly via a coax cable to the MoCA adapter, eliminating the house coax from the equation. (Temporarily steal the Roamio OTA's video connection to the TV, if necessary.)

And when the direct-connect test works (it should), you'll need to look into the mystery of your home coax...
I'm not really sure what the coax components are in the home wiring.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that's the error code when the MoCA connection can't be established. And makes me wonder if the two locations actually have connectivity between them.

One quick test you may want to perform is to temporarily move the Mini to the Roamio OTA TV location where you can connect it directly via a coax cable to the MoCA adapter, eliminating the house coax from the equation. (Temporarily steal the Roamio OTA's video connection to the TV, if necessary.)

And when the direct-connect test works (it should), you'll need to look into the mystery of your home coax...
I've finally had a little time to test this out further, and I'm still having a coneconnec issue, although it is a different type.

I now have the mini in the same room with my router and TiVo bridge. I have the coax output from the bridge feeding directly into the mini.

I'm now getting an error message N02, unable to connect to the DHCP server to obtain a network address.

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
I've finally had a little time to test this out further, and I'm still having a coneconnec issue, although it is a different type.

I now have the mini in the same room with my router and TiVo bridge. I have the coax output from the bridge feeding directly into the mini.

I'm now getting an error message N02, unable to connect to the DHCP server to obtain a network address.
The Mini is configured as a MoCA client and the TiVo Bridge is also connected via Cat5/6 to an Ethernet LAN port on the router?

If the connections appear correct, power off both the TiVo Bridge and Mini then try again, making sure to power the TiVo Bridge first. A full power reset of all your gear would be the next step, to make sure there's no residual confusion about where/how the devices are connected.

p.s. Just to be sure, you have a white TiVo Bridge and it only has a single coax port, correct?
TiVo bridge. I have the coax output from the bridge feeding directly into the mini.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mini is configured as a MoCA client and the TiVo Bridge is also connected via Cat5/6 to an Ethernet LAN port on the router?

If the connections appear correct, power off both the TiVo Bridge and Mini then try again, making sure to power the TiVo Bridge first. A full power reset of all your gear would be the next step, to make sure there's no residual confusion about where/how the devices are connected.

p.s. Just to be sure, you have a white TiVo Bridge and it only has a single coax port, correct?
Well, I am now super relieved but also feeling pretty dumb. Everything is now working fine and it turned out to be a super basic networking issue. Short story: The lan cable I was using from my router to the tivo bridge was bad.

Long story: I figured it out after moving the mini out to the main location by the router and it still not getting a signal over the MOCA. After a bit of cursing, I decided to truly go back to basics and connect it directly to the router via lan cable. So I switched the lan cable from the bridge to the mini and still no connection. Switched out cable and the it worked. Then used that cable to bridge and it worked via MOCA. And finally moved it all back to other room where it started and all is working perfectly.

So the most basic thing got me all out of whack. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. The last one about moving it all to the router it what really helped me finally get it figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.