TiVo Community Forum banner
601 - 617 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took out the cablecard from my OTA Roamio for some testing on another machine. Now the OTA Roamio won't recognize the cablecard anymore. Anybody care to guess what happened? Short-circuit? Something fried?

More importantly, is there anyway to get the tivo to see the card again? Otherwise, it seems like I'm SOL.

Thanks.
What happened with mine is that I had to go thru several cable cards at one point about two years ago due to issues with then TWC [now Spectrum] and during one of the cable card swaps a couple of the pins inside the bracket bent and there was no fix for it.. luckily i was able to find a bracket on eBay and had that problem solved in less than a week... ever since then I have been very careful removing and reinserting a cable card

·
Registered
67 Posts

I have 1 of these left out of a Roamio with a bad motherboard, I'd take $30 and $4 for shipping. I sold out of these last time I got a bunch. I can take PayPal, these are hard to come by however they are original equipment as well so that's a huge plus for you "tinkerers"?
These little suckers are becoming a rarity and are becoming like gold !!! ... without these a Roamio becomes an OTA only unit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here I am posting finally as a long time lurker and looking for assistance! Aren't all lurkers when they finally post? I currently use a streaming service for TV and getting tired of the non-stop price increases. I have a Roamio OTA that I'm thinking of adding a cable card slot to for use of a cable card through Spectrum. Are there any limitations I should know about? Will I be able to watch one show while recording another like I do currently with my Roamio OTA? Any issues with using my Tivo Mini devices just like I have before? I wouldn't think so since they use ethernet, but, never know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I converted both of my Roamio OTAs a couple of years back using parts from eBay. Worked like a charm and did have to use a spectrum tuning adapter. Unfortunately, Spectrum raised the broadcast fees during our 1 year price lock and then after that our $89 rate for the gold package went to $139 so we left them and went back to streaming with Youtube TV which is now $64.99. The only channels I really miss are Science, Cooking and Regional Fox Sports (now Bally's). For now my Tivo's are back to OTA, but who knows, if Spectrum in my area ever runs a good deal, I may switch back.

·
Tech-no Guide
260 Posts
If you leave Spectrum for 30 days you are considered a NEW customer. So any deals you see online are available to you. I eventually go through to Customer Retention and they were able to offer the new customer specials to me. I opted for the 400mbps because I use mostly streaming services. Netflix, Prime (shared) Hulu and PlutoTV (free service). By the time you add in cable-card rentals and tuning adapters you're well above $100 again (with 400 internet).

PS: I have a Roamio cable version in the garage, I'm assuming that has all the correct parts to convert an OTA? I saw an OTA lifetime on Craigslist for $100, thought it might be worth buying and converting if I go back to cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PS: I have a Roamio cable version in the garage, I'm assuming that has all the correct parts to convert an OTA? I saw an OTA lifetime on Craigslist for $100, thought it might be worth buying and converting if I go back to cable.
Only if it's the 4 tuner Roamio Basic, which can do cable or antenna. The 6 tuner Plus and Pro versions are cable only, as in the don't have the hardware tuner for antenna signals.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
TDL shepherd
17,028 Posts
Only if it's the 4 tuner Roamio Basic, which can do cable or antenna.
Good point. Only the 4-tuner basic Roamio model (OTA- or CableCARD-capable) has the CableCARD bracket that would be needed to enable CableCARD functionality in a Roamio OTA. The Plus and Pro lack a removable CableCARD bracket, let alone the exact part needed for a Roamio OTA.

The 6 tuner Plus and Pro versions are cable only, as in the don't have the hardware tuner for antenna signals.
Less relevant, since the post related to cannibalizing the shelved Roamio to enable CableCARD functionality for a Craigslist Roamio OTA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What happened with mine is that I had to go thru several cable cards at one point about two years ago due to issues with then TWC [now Spectrum] and during one of the cable card swaps a couple of the pins inside the bracket bent and there was no fix for it.. luckily i was able to find a bracket on eBay and had that problem solved in less than a week... ever since then I have been very careful removing and reinserting a cable card
Just an update from me who originally posted Dec 2020 and lost the ability to see the cablecard with the bracket.

This eventually happened to me with 2 different tivo lifetime ota's. Never could get the tivo to re-recognized the cablecard. Something must have fried. Perhaps static electicity or whatever?

Cause is definitely the tivo itself as I inserted the bracket into a 3rd tivo (no service plan unfortunately) and the cablecard was detected.

So, be careful if you remove your cablecard for whatever reason.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can anyone else confirm that their Roamio OTAs are still functioning with this hack?

Does it work with both the new and old TiVo experiences?

Looking at doing it to a lifetime OTA using the bracket from a dead Bolt.

·
I get paid 2watch TV
6,083 Posts
As of 3 months ago, my Roamio OTA with a cable card bracket was working with Comcast.
I had a Roamio Basic that died, confirmed motherboard issue, not power supply or hard drive, took the cable card bracket out and put in one of my OTA's that my daughter ended up using with Comcast for a year, then moved out of Comcast coverage area.

Reactions: megz1623

·
Registered
65 Posts
As of 3 months ago, my Roamio OTA with a cable card bracket was working with Comcast.
I had a Roamio Basic that died, confirmed motherboard issue, not power supply or hard drive, took the cable card bracket out and put in one of my OTA's that my daughter ended up using with Comcast for a year, then moved out of Comcast coverage area.
Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
ROAMIO OTA with Motorola Cable Card - won't work

My Bolt died and so I went to switch my Comcast/Xfinity cablecard (Motorola) to my Roamio OTA (TCD846000). Bought the adapter from the guy on eBay that I found out about from here, and installed it. It recognized the card, but said I needed to call my cable provider to start cable service for this device. I did, and had multiple calls with support and "Advance Repair," where they said they could "see" the card on their end, and that it looked like it was paired and should be working, but it wasn't. No channels are connecting. They are sending a repairman out today, but I may have to pay a service fee for that, which I'd rather avoid.

Anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
Thanks!

·
wait.. I did what?
14,205 Posts
ROAMIO OTA with Motorola Cable Card - won't work

My Bolt died and so I went to switch my Comcast/Xfinity cablecard (Motorola) to my Roamio OTA (TCD846000). Bought the adapter from the guy on eBay that I found out about from here, and installed it. It recognized the card, but said I needed to call my cable provider to start cable service for this device. I did, and had multiple calls with support and "Advance Repair," where they said they could "see" the card on their end, and that it looked like it was paired and should be working, but it wasn't. No channels are connecting. They are sending a repairman out today, but I may have to pay a service fee for that, which I'd rather avoid.

Anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
Thanks!
Yes, almost 100% they don't know what they're doing and not provisioning the card correctly.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, almost 100% they don't know what they're doing and not provisioning the card correctly.
Any insight as to what I can do to steer it in the right direction? The tech is here now, and cle
The field tech came and, after over 3 hours of fiddling around, repeating the same steps, calling 10 or 15 different tech support lines (for the field techs) and his supervisor, and disconnecting my cable internet multiple times without warning, etc., he was not able to get it working.

If anyone has any advice about how to get it working, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If anyone has any advice about how to get it working, I'd appreciate it.
When you call customer service, ask to speak to the CableCard support because you are having issues pairing a new card. It always has to be a special higher tier of support to work on these things and most of the time, the first level tiers usually will escalate such requests without taking too much time asking basic questions.

You generally do not actually need a technician on site to troubleshoot or pair a new card. For one, most techs these days (and depending on your area) don't carry tuning adapters or cablecards on them / in their vehicle, even when phone support directly requests it in their internal ticket notes. For me, I had to goto one location for a cable card ("we had one left, no tuning adapters") and another spectrum location to get a tuning adapter ("we had one left, no cards")

If your TiVo troubleshooting/help screens show a strong RF signal, then there shouldn't be much a technician can do to help improve the signaling/pairing requests. The majority of cablecard installs are with pairing and the technicians offsite (phone support) and their direct management sometimes.

If you have support clear out all cablecard information on your account along with tuning adapters...then they can attempt to re-add their serials, host IDs, AND data IDs, etc...and if it still doesn't work. they need to try again...and probably again. and probably again... got no where and it's been 30 minutes? Call tomorrow or when you have another 30 minutes to spare, and do it again.

Cable Card pairing issues sometimes does come from incorrect entry/error. However many of the techs who are super friendly on the phone swear (claim) up and down they are entering information in all the correct fields on their end. And these are techs that have experience troubleshooting CableCards. I think whatever the system/software/backend support uses for CableCard pairing, in itself is actually a piece of garbage technology and doesn't sync information properly when techs and support reps are trying to do their own job. I really do think a lot of these problems are not just human error with who you are working with, but rather the system itself doesn't work often or perhaps maybe the "order" of how things are added/inputed is what the problem is, I am not sure.

But it is very strange how you can talk to 5-6 people (who confirm they have spent years adding/troubleshooting cablecards and claiming TIVos customers are no strangers to them) take forever sometimes not even resolve the case after spending hours over the phone.... but then, there's that one even more special tech on the phone that gets the card paired and added, resolving the case within 15-20 minutes.

For the TiVo user, sIt's an actual mission to add a new cablecard/TA pair to an account. But don't give up. It took me a week to get my first TiVo Roamio Pro & TA to work when we first moved to this house a few years ago. For our second TiVo for our theater which was a Premiere XL and TA. It took months where I kept giving up and trying again. Sometimes the CableCard would work, but the TA wouldn't pair. Then it would pair but break the first/Roamio's TA. Then back and forth. Strange **** that after 3 techs coming to this house, it was one lucky night at 11pm I had a spectrum tech fix everything over the phone. (again that extra even more special tech lol) I never had been so happy and annoyed at the same time.

Try not to blame any techs tho or get too discouraged. I believe the complications are really not the tech's fault and the cablecard experts they connect you with that are trying to set things up, are really are doing their best job most of the time. Most support reps are good people, it's sadly the frustrating ones that leave the worst mental scars for us when it comes to calling a support line.

The good news is, most of the time once it's finally setup, and you don't keep adding new CableCards or changing your TV packaging, the Card and TA should stay synced on the account and you never have to worry about it again until you want a new TiVo or the tuning adapter fries itself somehow.

TLDR: don't give up, call support every other day and request cable card support. work with technician 33 minutes or so every call. if they can't get it working. repeat and call support every other day. it will eventually pair. on-site technicians can't do any magic, if your RF signal is good on TiVo and they've already been to your home once, you don't need them again to find some magic that doesn't exist. They need cablecard techs on the phone just like you do.

601 - 617 of 617 Posts