TiVo Community Forum banner
581 - 600 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read this forum and got the courage to convert my Roamio OTA with a lifetime subscription to install a cable card reader into the slot. Bottom line: It was successful, and I am now viewing and recording Spectrum cable TV, and it works brilliantly. But it took a few tries with Spectrum to get the cable card to pair correctly. Their staff is not well versed on setting up cable cards, so be prepared for an hour or two on the phone.

I am trying to give back a little to this community, here is my story if anyone is interested:
I bought a used Roamio Basic off of Ebay for $40 and swapped the card drive out of the bottom and installed it into my Roamio OTA. It was as people previously stated, it was 4 screws and very easy to do. The Basic also had an upgraded fan and harddrive, so while I was at it I swapped the fan (it was noisy) and the internal harddrive from 1TB to 2Tb, which was also pretty simple if you are willing to spend a few minutes untethering harnesses and taking out the motherboard. You can't get to the bottom screws of the fan without removing the whole board, which is a brilliant design (sarcasm), but I digress : )

Then I reran the startup process and reset the OTA box to receive cable input vs. antenna. It then takes you through some menus to download the TV guide for your local channels. Do all that first, then hook up the cable tuner and insert the cable card into the Tivo. You will get the default screen to call your cable provider with the card ID and the host ID, so that they can pair the device.

One thing that tripped me up a bit was the physical setup. I never previously had a Tivo that used cable input, so I only got it to work after I hooked up BOTH the COAX cable and the USB cable to the back of the Tivo, both coming out of the Cable Tuner box. I am not sure if that is obvious to most people but for some reason I thought I only needed just the USB connection between the Tivo and the Tuner. I think the USB connection supports the decryption of the cable signal, but the coaxial cable connection is needed to have the Tivo receive the actual cable signal. Anyway, I am by no means an expert, but this is a recent data point (May 2019) that it is still possible to do this.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great to hear! It sounds like Spectrum is using a digital tuning adapter. I thought only Verizon FiOS used those. And yes it would need connected as well as the coax. Comcast doesn't use them at least not in my area.

One thing I want to know is does the new Bolt OTA have the same set up can you add the cable card to it?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Glad it worked out. Not the best way to hook it up due to massive signal loss through tuning adapter. But if it ain’t broke ...

·
TDL shepherd
17,028 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is a fairly old thread, but does anyone know if the PCMT-134-02-L-D-RA-02-SL Adapter can be used to successfully convert a Bolt OTA to use a cablecard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bolt and Roamio Basic/OTA CC are interchangeable if that is what you are asking. On a transfer to a roamio ota the back two screws from a bolt do not thread as they are too large. I am not sure the correct size. I am sure its in the forum somewhere.

·
in the other Alabama
20,926 Posts
I know this is a fairly old thread, but does anyone know if the PCMT-134-02-L-D-RA-02-SL Adapter can be used to successfully convert a Bolt OTA to use a cablecard?
I forgot to mention before, but I bought a used Roamio on eBay for $25 (plus shipping) and pulled the cable card bracket to use in the Roamio OTA. With an OEM bracket, the front two screws are captive, which may explain the size difference. The bracket from eBay has regular screws.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Bolt OTA doesn't have any of the supporting hardware to support cable tuning. It also lacks the MoCA connection of the other Bolt models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys, I have happily used a cable card with my Roamio OTA for more than a year not but now I am having some serious problems with my channel-guide channels being deleted and replaced with incorrect channel listings.

Tonight, the list of changes included deleting CBS both HD and SD !!. My cable company still sends CBS to the same old channels but Tivo now identifies those channels as a CW channel located about a hundred miles away. The guide says this station is "WCBIDT3 8" for my cable channel 8 and WCBIDT3HD 708" for my cable channel 708. The "DT3" part seems like OTAish terminology . Could Tivo be sending me OTA channel listing updates that are being translated into my cable channel guide?

Assuming that was the case (and I realize that I am really grasping at straws) I considered trying to use the guided setup to switch to OTA and then use guided setup again to switch back to cable so that I might get a new channel guide for cable in my market..... but I didn't for two reason A) I was afraid I might lose cable card pairing.... (and getting pairing setup initially was a BIG problem) B) I cannot find how to do a guided setup any longer; I thought there was a menu setting for this and I remember switching between OTA and cable setup a few times when I was having trouble getting the cable card paired more than a year ago.... Did Tivo remove this option for Roamio OTA during the last year or so?

Anyway.....Is there anyway that I can somehow manually set my cable channel 8 to show a schedule for CBS? Or does anyone have any ideas about how I may once again obtain a correct channel guide? As you might imagine, I am reluctant to complain to Tivo about my cable-based channel guide being incorrect in my OTA Roamio!

·
in the other Alabama
20,926 Posts
Hi guys, I have happily used a cable card with my Roamio OTA for more than a year not but now I am having some serious problems with my channel-guide channels being deleted and replaced with incorrect channel listings.
Anyway.....Is there anyway that I can somehow manually set my cable channel 8 to show a schedule for CBS? Or does anyone have any ideas about how I may one again obtain a correct channel guide? As you might imagine, I am reluctant to complain to Tivo about my cable-based channel guide being incorrect in my OTA Roamio!
It sounds like someone in your zipcode (or DMA) sent in some changes that screwed up your guide. A guided setup does not affect your cable card. A CPI&TDL may brick your box - don't do it. You might try a change of zipcode or provider for now. Start sending in forms. I have seen changes happen in three days lately.

If you post your zipcode and provider I can provide suggestions. Also, a second opinion can be found using zap2it.com (Gracenote), titantv.com or tvguide.com (CBS Interactive). When you send in the form, they want to know where you got your information.

Report a Lineup Issue

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Tonight, the list of changes included deleting CBS both HD and SD !!. My cable company still sends CBS to the same old channels but Tivo now identifies those channels as a CW channel located about a hundred miles away. The guide says this station is "WCBIDT3 8" for my cable channel 8 and WCBIDT3HD 708" for my cable channel 708. The "DT3" part seems like OTAish terminology . Could Tivo be sending me OTA channel listing updates that are being translated into my cable channel guide?
Sounds like you just need to report the lineup issue for your cable company to TiVo.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks a million JoeKustra for advising me on what changes were safe to do! I played with "Guided Setup" changing zipcodes each time and I think I found a correct channel line-up! Even though I live 30 or 40 miles from Leeds AL, I was on the "Spectrum Leeds Standard Cable" configuration. When I tried Alabaster's Zip 35007, I was given the choice for either Leeds or "Spectrum Fairfield Standard Cable" and choosing the Fairfield configuration seems to match what I had before someone or something screwed-up the Leeds configuration!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to confirm, adding a cablecard bracket still works for a Roamio OTA. I'm about to upgrade my Bolt's hard drive and want to see if I can get my OTA to work with the cablecard in my Bolt while it's unplugged and out of commission. I tried with a friend a while back and they couldn't get it to work but they were on Comcast. I think it may have been more a Comcast issue so since I have Verizon Fios I may try to see if it will work. I just want to make sure it still works before doing all the extra work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spectrum installed my cable card in Oct 2018 and it is still working. I had bought and installed a used Roamio cable bracket from ebay and then requested that Spectrum install a cable card instead of a new DVR when they hooked-up my cable.

It took 4 trips with 3 different installers over a couple of weeks but it finally worked. The last installer owned a Tivo himself and he was get it to work in just a few minutes...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Spectrum installed my cable card in Oct 2018 and it is still working. I had bought and installed a used Roamio cable bracket from ebay and then requested that Spectrum install a cable card instead of a new DVR when they hooked-up my cable.

It took 4 trips with 3 different installers over a couple of weeks but it finally worked. The last installer owned a Tivo himself and he was get it to work in just a few minutes...
Glad to hear it still works. I went ahead and tried it but still couldn't get it to work so it wasn't just a Comcast issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took out the cablecard from my OTA Roamio for some testing on another machine. Now the OTA Roamio won't recognize the cablecard anymore. Anybody care to guess what happened? Short-circuit? Something fried?

More importantly, is there anyway to get the tivo to see the card again? Otherwise, it seems like I'm SOL.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have 1 of these left out of a Roamio with a bad motherboard, I'd take $30 and $4 for shipping. I sold out of these last time I got a bunch. I can take PayPal, these are hard to come by however they are original equipment as well so that's a huge plus for you "tinkerers"?

581 - 600 of 617 Posts