TiVo Community Forum banner
561 - 580 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Roamio OTA just stop reading the cable card. All I get now, is cable card was just removed, been working for the last 10 months. Booo
I'm thinking about modifying an OTA - did you get your box to start reading the cable card again?

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
I gave up after several hours and with help from two different, very Nice and patient Tivo Tech people. I just don't trust that box.
Question-how was the TiVo connected to the internet? I bought a Bolt and tried to downgrade it and it wouldn't work and I tried it six time while connected via MoCA. So I connected it via Ethernet and it downgraded first try. Ended up returning it anyway as I decided to keep my Roamio for now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Question-how was the TiVo connected to the internet? I bought a Bolt and tried to downgrade it and it wouldn't work and I tried it six time while connected via MoCA. So I connected it via Ethernet and it downgraded first try. Ended up returning it anyway as I decided to keep my Roamio for now.
I am sorry sir. I did not see your question. It was hooked up by ethernet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I picked up a Roamio OTA 1TB over through the cyber Monday deal. There also happened to be a Roamio basic on CL for $20 so I grabbed that this weekend. The Tivo I ordered direct showed up today and I stopped at the Verizon Fios store to grab an M CableCard.

Moved the cable card bracket from the cheap box to the one with lifetime and hooked everything up per the included directions (except the part that says antenna) The link lights on the RJ45 port light up but nothing on the front, and nothing comes up on the connected TV. Since this is my first TiVo I wasn't sure if I missed some secret handshake so I plugged in the basic, which I have not yet transferred to my name (and haven't decided if I should), The link lights turn on in addition to the lights on the front of the box through the grille. The TiVo logo also flashes on the screen but doesn't go anywhere and eventually goes black. Which I'm sure has to do with me not paying for that box to have service.

Does this mean my TiVo directly from them is broken right out of the box? (I'm thinking yes, I just want to confirm before I coordinate the replacement) Also I can hear something move around when I tilt the box... and no I did not drop a screw in there.

Should I be transferring the basic to my name? I wasn't sure if that raises any red flags for TiVo, it seems like they don't care about the roamio trick at this point. I figured for $20 that is a cheap cable card bracket and other spare parts so who cares if it is in my name for resale.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh just to be sure, any TiVo purchased from them should not need any special online activation per their website and the papers in the box. Has there been any cases in the past where they failed to activate it in advance?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I wonder if there might be a benefit of trying to do the initial setup OTA and not cable--at the very least, to see if the box is working. If it works, then trying cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't actually have an antenna to use right now... which should be interesting when I call tech support tonight. I figured if I turned the box on without coax connected at all it should still display something on the TV. The front panel not lighting up and the fact that If I pick up one side of the box I can hear something roll around inside makes me think the box was DOA and I never stood a chance. I have a hard time believing that without an antenna nothing would display on the screen.

I had considered that I might need to set it up as an antenna first though. Old rabbit ears and roof top antennas are not the same as the new stuff correct? i guess I could make a very temporary poorly built DIY antenna.

·
in the other Alabama
20,926 Posts
I had considered that I might need to set it up as an antenna first though. Old rabbit ears and roof top antennas are not the same as the new stuff correct? i guess I could make a very temporary poorly built DIY antenna.
The cable card bracket, as you may have seen, is just a 90 degree adapter. It should not affect your initial setup and you should have a full lineup and guide data in OTA mode. Your screen will be empty, but the streaming services don't care.

It sounds like a bad box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the tech support email made me a bit angry, but that must have been the easiest phone call I've ever had. Pretty quickly figured it was dead without the usual 20 minutes of how inexperienced is the customer I'm talking to type questions. While I was pretty bummed the first thing I ever purchased from TiVo was DOA on arrival that phone call was much better than I think I've ever had with any company.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I don't actually have an antenna to use right now... which should be interesting when I call tech support tonight. I figured if I turned the box on without coax connected at all it should still display something on the TV. The front panel not lighting up and the fact that If I pick up one side of the box I can hear something roll around inside makes me think the box was DOA and I never stood a chance. I have a hard time believing that without an antenna nothing would display on the screen.

Nope--the old antennas can work just fine; that's what I'm using, from the pre-DTV days (but the unscrupulous middle-of-the-night antenna telemarketers don't want you to know that, preferring you to think that their $49.99 antenna is a tech. "wonder").
So the tech support email made me a bit angry, but that must have been the easiest phone call I've ever had. Pretty quickly figured it was dead without the usual 20 minutes of how inexperienced is the customer I'm talking to type questions. While I was pretty bummed the first thing I ever purchased from TiVo was DOA on arrival that phone call was much better than I think I've ever had with any company.
Cool--hopefully they're just shipping you out a replacement box with you returning the bad?

FWIW, I purchased a Roamio OTA refurb. from TiVo 2 years ago, and it seemed new, and has performed without any issue straight out of the box. Hopefully, you just got the 1-in-a-million lemon and you'll be good to go shortly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope--the old antennas can work just fine; that's what I'm using, from the pre-DTV days (but the unscrupulous middle-of-the-night antenna telemarketers don't want you to know that, preferring you to think that their $49.99 antenna is a tech. "wonder").

Cool--hopefully they're just shipping you out a replacement box with you returning the bad?

FWIW, I purchased a Roamio OTA refurb. from TiVo 2 years ago, and it seemed new, and has performed without any issue straight out of the box. Hopefully, you just got the 1-in-a-million lemon and you'll be good to go shortly.
Pretty much everything you just said. While digging though some old boxes looking for some coax to hack up into an antenna I found a set of rabbit ears. Plugged it into my TV and let it do the scan and voila TV stations over the air... As you said I was lead to believe we needed new hardware for the Digital signals. From an engineering standpoint I never understood that, but it didn't impact me enough for me to do any research.

Yup, no wait on hold, confirmed my box was broken in under 5 minutes and set up shipping the old and new boxes. I was expecting to have to do some kind of deposit to avoid having to wait for mine to get to them before they ship me a new one, but he just set it up no questions asked.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Yup, no wait on hold, confirmed my box was broken in under 5 minutes and set up shipping the old and new boxes. I was expecting to have to do some kind of deposit to avoid having to wait for mine to get to them before they ship me a new one, but he just set it up no questions asked.
That's pretty amazing--perhaps in the circumstances, the rep. thought it best to bend over backwards. (Of course, TiVo has the ultimate control, by simply shutting the box down, if need be. ;) )

Fingers crossed for you--it really is a nice box/system (and sorry for the frustrating and rocky start). :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well got the new box this weekend and got it all setup with the G1100 router and a mini over MoCA and everything works perfect now (as far as I've found). I did have an issue where it was only playing audio but I could see the guide, but I just had to power cycle the box and it's been fine since. My main gripe is with as long as it took me to get a functional box, the first thing I saw on startup is that there is a new (better) sale. Now I'm debating if I want to get the Bolt with All-in and transfer my recordings and return this box... or attempt to get a $50 credit for the OTA, which it sounds like they are making you return the box anyway.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
:up::up::clapping: But also, frustrating, between the sales.

The good news is, you're still within the initial box free return/refund period. You could call TiVo and see if the rep. will give you a credit back for the $ difference and, when you likely are told no :(, simply order the box you want under the new sale, holding onto and using the old until the new arrives and you set it up (transferring any recorded shows you want to keep over to it)--just keep the return deadline for the old box in mind.

561 - 580 of 617 Posts