TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Been a life long TiVo customer since the original. Still have my original Comcast Cable Card from 3 generations ago. Here's my dilema? I have a Roamio and 2 Mini's in my home running the old interface. I have the latest 4k TVs setup. I can't watch anything in 4k or even 1080p on my TiVo boxes. I'm just wondering why I'm still watching 720p all these years. I tried YouTube TV in a trial over the summer and couldn't believe what I've been missing out on.

I read the Edge posts and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of issues there and really no future moving forward. So I have a few questions for you smart folks on this fourm:

1. Does Edge/Xfinity support 4k w/ a cable card
2. Can I use the old interface w/ Edge and will support SPS30S hacks to skip 30 seconds ahead (the one feature I love)
3. Is there something new on the horizon w/ TiVO that I should wait for
4. Or....do I just cut the cord and go w/ YTV

I've used TiVo for close to 20 years and it's hard to break old habits when it works so well. My Roamio has been running straight from day 1 w/o any problems. It's been so reliable.

Thanks all for your input!

/Eric

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,656 Posts
Roamio is still better than the Bolt or Edge. Its due to the laptop drives used in them and the newer UI, hydra/TE4/v21. Hard drive failure is common and hard to replace with another laptop drive. Edge is v21 only. Tivo also removed the transfer feature most of us loved.

Roamio can do 1080p. I use 1080p myself. Its in the video settings. Just don't use auto.

·
tabasco rules
16,637 Posts
Hi there. Been a life long TiVo customer since the original. Still have my original Comcast Cable Card from 3 generations ago. Here's my dilema? I have a Roamio and 2 Mini's in my home running the old interface. I have the latest 4k TVs setup. I can't watch anything in 4k or even 1080p on my TiVo boxes. I'm just wondering why I'm still watching 720p all these years. I tried YouTube TV in a trial over the summer and couldn't believe what I've been missing out on.

I read the Edge posts and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of issues there and really no future moving forward. So I have a few questions for you smart folks on this fourm:

1. Does Edge/Xfinity support 4k w/ a cable card
2. Can I use the old interface w/ Edge and will support SPS30S hacks to skip 30 seconds ahead (the one feature I love)
3. Is there something new on the horizon w/ TiVO that I should wait for
4. Or....do I just cut the cord and go w/ YTV

I've used TiVo for close to 20 years and it's hard to break old habits when it works so well. My Roamio has been running straight from day 1 w/o any problems. It's been so reliable.

Thanks all for your input!

/Eric
your limited to 720p by comcast using a cablecard, so a new tivo won't help. i also agree roamios are the preferred boxes, unless comcast begins to offer 1080p or 4k to cablecard users in the future (they won't, they actually downgraded to 720p not that long ago).

i'm upgrading to google fiber, moving more towards streaming and ota, and leaving comcast tomorrow - x1 boxes are okay and might improve your picture quality if you can grab a 4k box (unlikely here, limited supply), but they don't interest me due to the added expense on top of an already outlandish monthly bill - i've had it with comcast.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,656 Posts
Even though the cableCo had locked to 720p, the Tivo can upscale to 1080p.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,656 Posts
so tivo can upgrade a 720p signal to make it the same quality as if a 1080p signal was sent directly from comcast?
Yes, (not exactly the signal, just the output) as long as Auto is not selected, only 1080p and nothing else. Tivo will record "as is" and the playback (or Live TV) is upscaled.

·
tabasco rules
16,637 Posts
...(not exactly the signal, just the output)...
exactly - sure, upscaling a 720p signal to 1080p provides a small amount of improvement, but it's nothing compared to having a native 1080p signal (or 4k signal) from the source - it's lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: bill875

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Broadcast and cable is still maxed at 720p/1080i so even YTTV is just up scaling.

The only true 4k (besides very limited cable content like maybe 1 sports event a week from Fios) is streaming such as Netflix, Disney+, Amazon, etc.

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
exactly - sure, upscaling a 720p signal to 1080p provides a small amount of improvement, but it's nothing compared to having a native 1080p signal (or 4k signal) from the source - it's lipstick on a pig.
It provides no improvement at all that I've seen, tried both on a Roamio. The Comcast compression is better than it used to be, but there's no visual difference with my Tivo and a 55" LG OLED at 720p or 1080p.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas. It is staggering that manufacturers have been touting and selling 4k TV's for well over a decade and now 8k TV's yet there's so little native 4k content to watch on these shiny new tele's. When you do get 4k it's compressed by the folks like Comcast and others.

When will that gap be filled if ever. Seems like a money and greed issue!

I think for now, I'm sticking w/ my Roamio until it dies and then figure it out from there.

Thanks again all,
E

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas. It is staggering that manufacturers have been touting and selling 4k TV's for well over a decade and now 8k TV's yet there's so little native 4k content to watch on these shiny new tele's. When you do get 4k it's compressed by the folks like Comcast and others.

When will that gap be filled if ever. Seems like a money and greed issue!

I think for now, I'm sticking w/ my Roamio until it dies and then figure it out from there.

Thanks again all,
E
The advantage of a 4K TV is in being able to take advantage of the higher video quality from streaming sources and, most particularly, UHD Blu-ray discs. And even then, it is not the 4K resolution that matters most--even though four times that of HD, you will not see an appreciable difference unless you have a very large screen (e.g., 85") and/or sit within six feet of the TV--but rather the HDR (high dynamic range) and WCG (wide color gamut) that are available on UHD content. At some point, HDR may come to cable or broadcast TV on HD signals; if that happens you will be glad you have a 4K TV.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Edge is v21 only. Tivo also removed the transfer feature most of us loved.
I just took advantage of TiVo's "Upgrade for Bolt Customers" offer and purchased an Edge for $99. It arrived three days ago. I have been trying to transfer about 10 "Last Man Standing" episodes from one of our Bolts to the Edge. The programs show up in the "To Do" list on the Edge but not in "My Shows." I've posted this in the Edge forum and no one has said anything about the Edge not having the transfer feature. So is that why I haven't been able to transfer shows from my Bolt to the Edge?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,656 Posts
I just took advantage of TiVo's "Upgrade for Bolt Customers" offer and purchased an Edge for $99. It arrived three days ago. I have been trying to transfer about 10 "Last Man Standing" episodes from one of our Bolts to the Edge. The programs show up in the "To Do" list on the Edge but not in "My Shows." I've posted this in the Edge forum and no one has said anything about the Edge not having the transfer feature. So is that why I haven't been able to transfer shows from my Bolt to the Edge?
Do that on Tivo Online (online.tivo.com)

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
No, the issue they are discussing is the ability to transfer shows BACK to the Tivo from a PC, and that was removed in TE4/v21/Hydra, it is not your problem.

·
leswar
244 Posts
Les, if a hard reboot is different than a restart, can you please walk me through the process?
I go thru the restart and when the tivo logo first appears on screen I pull the ac plug. I hate doing it..it's a pain and maybe not good for the hard drive if you catch it past the logo (never could figure out what the community believes).
But when I got 'stuck transfers' between tivos that was the only way to clear them.. I see others recommend doing a cancel on the stuck tivo then going ONLINE.TIVO.COM to reschedule the transfer process. I think that would be preferred if it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts