TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a Roamio and a Mini 6 years ago and the Mini died last week, replaced it with a Mini Lux. Setup was a bit difficult, had to reboot several times. Finally got a screen that said the Mini Lux did not have the same "Tivo Experience" as the Roamio, so it asked if I wanted to downgrade the Mini Lux to the same experience as the Roamio. I said yes and now the Mini Lux is up and running.

I did not know anything about the Tivo Experience, so I searched and saw some posts on this forum that suggest the old experience is better than the new one. I apparently can upgrade the Roamio and the Mini Lux to the new experience. Is that a good idea or is the old version really better? Also saw several terms with which I'm not familiar, what is Hydra, T3 and T4?

Thanks,
b

·
FUBAR
4,896 Posts
You're on the best UI, TE3 (Tivo Experience 3). Don't bother upgrading to TE4 (the current UI previously know as Hydra), because if you do and don't like it you'll lose all your recordings when you downgrade. It will run slower on Roamios and you lose the ability to transfer shows from a PC, if you care about that. You'll also lose the Tivo live guide, only the grid will be available.

The only real advantage that I've seen with TE4 is commercial auto-skip for shows that have skip data - I get this on TE3 with another app called kmttg. If you're not familiar with this, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll also lose the Tivo live guide, only the grid will be available.
The only real advantage that I've seen with TE4 is commercial auto-skip for shows that have skip data - I get this on TE3 with another app called kmttg.
Thanks for the reply. I have always had commercial skip, TE4 skips automatically? And what is the live guide?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I got to really like the auto-skip on my Bolt and just updated my Roamio to Hydra as well.

I stopped moving video to TiVo this year, and run a Plex server instead. It all depends on your use case. Auto-skip when on the treadmill is great. No distraction, just running.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Live Guide is just a non-grid view of the TV guide. It's not available with TE4. Some people think it's a deal breaker to not upgrading to TE4.
Thanks, I have the same guide as shown in your photo, that seems a good reason to stick with TE4.

The remote on the Mini Lux has a couple of buttons not found on my older remotes. They must be just for use with TE4, since they do not appear to be doing anything now with my TE3. For example, there's a large green Skip button that does nothing, I have to push D for commercial skip. And there's a blue button with a microphone icon, I'm guessing that's for audio commands, but it doesn't seem to be working.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Thanks, I have the same guide as shown in your photo, that seems a good reason to stick with TE4.

The remote on the Mini Lux has a couple of buttons not found on my older remotes. They must be just for use with TE4, since they do not appear to be doing anything now with my TE3. For example, there's a large green Skip button that does nothing, I have to push D for commercial skip. And there's a blue button with a microphone icon, I'm guessing that's for audio commands, but it doesn't seem to be working.
If you want to keep your guide view then you'll have to stick with TE3 (not 4).

I thought the Skip button would work just like the D button in TE3 but maybe not. Both buttons do the same thing in TE4.

The blue microphone button is the "Vox" voice control button and requires TE4. Pressing it while using TE3 may prompt TiVo to ask you to upgrade to TE4 (I'm not sure if a Mini will prompt you since the host TiVo is on TE3). Be careful how you proceed since if you do upgrade but then you then want to downgrade back to TE3 you will lose all your recordings, One Passes and settings (it basically does a factory reset in order to downgrade).

Note: as you've already discovered, a Mini and a host have to be on the same version. So upgrading/downgrading one will require the same on the other.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to keep your guide view then you'll have to stick with TE3 (not 4).

I thought the Skip button would work just like the D button in TE3 but maybe not. Both buttons do the same thing in TE4.

The blue microphone button is the "Vox" voice control button and requires TE4. Pressing it while using TE3 may prompt TiVo to ask you to upgrade to TE4 (I'm not sure if a Mini will prompt you since the host TiVo is on TE3). Be careful how you proceed since if you do upgrade but then you then want to downgrade back to TE3 you will lose all your recordings, One Passes and settings (it basically does a factory reset in order to downgrade).

Note: as you've already discovered, a Mini and a host have to be on the same version. So upgrading/downgrading one will require the same on the other.
Yes, thanks, I meant to say "stick with TE3."

The Skip button is definitely not doing anything on my set. But there may be an issue with my remote, I can't get it to control TV power and volume, I've gone through Remote Control Setup 3 times, tried every code. It worked fine with my old remote.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,602 Posts
The Skip button is definitely not doing anything on my set. But there may be an issue with my remote
Skip only works if the show has the skip data shown in the listing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.