TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It's a three way, I thought it was a four way because there are four rooms with cable but when I went back outside, I noticed it was a three way. But I will take a picture.
Gotcha. Though I'm MUCH more interested in that extraneous MoCA filter now. It should be removed, regardless of what the label says. If this MoCA filter is installed between your 2-way and 3-way (corrected) splitters, then that is VERY LIKELY what is blocking the MoCA signal from traveling from your bridging MoCA adapter to your rooms. (Heck, the only place a MoCA filter should be on your setup* is on the input to the initial 2-way, where you've already placed the new MoCA filter, so a MoCA filter in any other location at that central junction would be problematic.)

I'm talking about this thing...
the splitters are 5-1000 MHz two way and three way isolation splitters, so that may be the problem. Also I don't think this is it, but on one of the splitters, the main one that splits cable and internet there is some kind of adapter on it that looks sort of like the POE I bought, (meaning its round and has a male and female end). There's also a sticker on it that I could not totally read because it's wrapped around where it is attached to the house. But the part I can see says, "Do not Remo...) which I assume is "Do not Remove" but underneath the words "For..." but I can't see what's behind that. I assume that is some kind of adapter cable companies use to route internet through the cable into the home, but I don't know for sure.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It's a three way, I thought it was a four way because there are four rooms with cable but when I went back outside, I noticed it was a three way. But I will take a picture.
Hmmm... That does beg the question of how you're getting cable in 4 rooms with just 3 outputs from that second splitter -- or were you including the cable modem as one of the "four rooms with cable"?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Bicycle part Electrical wiring Cable Rim Electrical supply
Automotive tire Microphone Coil spring Audio equipment Bicycle part
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Microphone Coil spring Audio equipment Bicycle part
Bicycle part Electrical wiring Cable Rim Electrical supply
Hmmm... That does beg the question of how you're getting cable in 4 rooms with just 3 outputs from that second splitter -- or were you including the cable modem as one of the "four rooms with cable"?
Yeah I was including the cable modem room. Also it took a little while to get the pictures, it's dark out and I was struggling. Here they are. There's the POE adapter which is in front of the two way splitter which sends one cable out to the internet (I guess the modem) and the other into the three way adapter for cable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Only meant to upload three, but a bunch more uploaded. It's the POE going into the Two-way (which has the label on it)-going into the three-way and also one cable out to the internet. The other cable is going into the three-way, with three separate branches out.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
See attached for my interpretation of your pics. (may need to click on it to see it full-sized)

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

I don't love the splitters, the new PoE MoCA filter could be moved to the input of the 2-way, but that old MoCA filter MUST GO. Remove this old MoCA filter and connect the coax directly to the 2-way's output, and then see how your Roamio/MoCA connection goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Great news. No mysterious hidden splitter to find.
Thanks. Tomorrow I'm going to get some new splitters, move everything, take off the MoCA adapter and try it again. It's getting late so I'm going to hit the hay. Just one more thing, and you don't have to respond soon because it's after 11 here and I'm bushed, removing that old MoCA adapter won't mess up my internet will it? I mean what's if for since I don't have MoCA in the house? I know last year our cable provider started providing this new service called FIDO, which is basically like Dish's Hopper where you can pause and watch in other rooms and share downloaded shows, etc. Could this be why this was installed, to help with the upgrade if I wanted to shell out $26 extra a month?

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It likely has to do with a past whole home DVR setup similar to what you're doing. Who knows why; what we do know is that it's getting in your way.

I'm confident that removing it won't affect your Internet connectivity (assuming you have a modern modem); but it could easily be put back and a new plan of assault drawn-up in the unlikely event that it does affect your Internet.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
See attached for how I believe your setup should be connected, per your earlier posts ... and with splits as currently configured.

Rectangle Product Font Slope Line

p.s. Note that if you had additional Ethernet-capable devices at your Roamio location, rather than connecting the MoCA adapter directly to the Roamio, you could instead connect both the MoCA adapter and Roamio to a network switch with enough open ports to connect the additional devices.

Also, if that extra room isn't in use, then the 3-way splitter could be downsized to a 2-way to preserve signal strength -- both the cable TV signal heading to the Roamio and the MoCA signal.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going to get some new splitters, move everything, take off the MoCA adapter and try it again.
You may want to just give removing the old MoCA filter a try and see how it affects your MoCA connectivity. If you are able to establish MoCA connectivity, you can then check your MoCA stats to evaluate the quality of the MoCA connection and whether upgrading your splitters is needed.

See this post for info on checking MoCA connection quality from a Mini.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
See attached for how I believe your setup should be connected, per your earlier posts ... and with splits as currently configured.
Also, if that extra room isn't in use, then the 3-way splitter could be downsized to a 2-way to preserve signal strength -- both the cable TV signal heading to the Roamio and the MoCA signal.
If you stick with a 3-way splitter, the signal to your Roamio may benefit by using an unbalanced 3-way splitter (e.g.), effectively two 2-way splitters in sequence, feeding the Roamio line from the low-loss output.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
there is some kind of adapter on it that looks sort of like the POE I bought
Just for background, that "POE" you bought is a MoCA filter: it blocks MoCA signals from passing through and reflects them back in the direction from which they came. (Think Gandalf and an uncharacteristically cooperative Balrog deep within Moria.) This is great for your new MoCA filter, properly placed to allow MoCA signals to travel between your modem run and the runs of your 3-way splitter. Unfortunately, your older, graying MoCA filter located for some other past purpose, where the MoCA signal originating somewhere downstream of the 3-way splitter was NOT desired or needed on the cable modem run, is getting in the way and needs to be removed.

p.s. Speaking of graying... I'm not educated on what you might do to improve the longevity of components exposed to the elements (i.e. your new MoCA filter and upgraded splitters).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just for background, that "POE" you bought is a MoCA filter: it blocks MoCA signals from passing through and reflects them back in the direction from which they came. (Think Gandalf and an uncharacteristically cooperative Balrog deep within Moria.) This is great for your new MoCA filter, properly placed to allow MoCA signals to travel between your modem run and the runs of your 3-way splitter. Unfortunately, your older, graying MoCA filter located for some other past purpose, where the MoCA signal originating somewhere downstream of the 3-way splitter was NOT desired or needed on the cable modem run, is getting in the way and needs to be removed.

p.s. Speaking of graying... I'm not educated on what you might do to improve the longevity of components exposed to the elements (i.e. your new MoCA filter and upgraded splitters).
Sorry been out all day. Finally replaced splitters, moved POE, and got rid of old MoCA. My internet is out, the modem is off-line. So should I put the old MoCA back on.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Sorry been out all day. Finally replaced splitters, moved POE, and got rid of old MoCA. My internet is out, the modem is off-line. So should I put the old MoCA back on.
Yeah, been otherwise occupied, here, as well.

You can put the old MoCA filter back in place to see if it helps your Internet, yes. (As previously discussed, if we break something, revert and plot new course.) Fingers crossed it restores your connection.

So... can you tell me the brand and model number of your cable modem? I'm wondering if it has issues with MoCA. (One possible theory of what went wrong with your Internet connection would have a positive spin: *IF* your cable modem is older and isn't designed to cohabitate with MoCA signals, loss of your Internet connection may mean you had a functioning MoCA network. The way things have been going, though, I wouldn't place too big a bet.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
My internet was out after the changes so I decided to do some trouble-shooting to see where the problem was. I had the MoCA bridge set up by the modem, so I powered everything down and took the bridge off to see if I could connect. Still couldn't connect, then I went and put the old MoCA adapter back on outside-it gave me a wireless signal but no LAN signal, and the wireless said "connected but with errors". I then looked at those old Regal splitters. Though they said 5-1000MhZ on them the decibel reading said 130db per line or something or another. I can't remember the exact wording. I looked at all the MoCA splitters and they have only 3.5db so I went back to the old splitters. My TV then became clear again, but I still had connectivity issues. So I took the POE off Now I'm back to my original setup like I showed in the pictures, and wireless, LAN, everything is perfect. So I start thinking about that old MoCA adapter that I put on and I remember about three years ago, we did put a whole home DVR system in there supplied by the cable company as a free trial for thirty days but we didn't keep it because they gave us the main DVR and wanted us to lease the client DVRs. So that was probably the reason for the MoCA adapter and if that's the case, maybe the house is already MoCA enabled. So I tried to run the Roamio with just the bridge, no MoCA bridge by the modem and got the NO2 no router found. I then went and tried to configure the mini with out the Roamio straight into the co-ax and got to "Connect via MoCA" then it took a while, went through the motions, and asked if I used DHCP and get everything automatically, etc before it finally gave me a NO2 error. So I don't know, is the house already MoCA configured?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It's an ARISS TM822. When I run the network diagnostics on the Roamio w/bridge it says that ports 37,80,7288,7287,8080,8081,5223 need to be open (all TCP). This is also without the MoCA bridge at the modem. This is why I'm thinking the house is wired for some type of MoCA.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.