TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 36 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It sounds like you have the connections in each room correct, but what remains unknown is how these two rooms connect to each other. Do you know where the coax runs to these rooms come together, and can you report whether they come together at a splitter or amplifier, and what the model # for the device is? And do you have a PoE MoCA filter in place? (More on PoE MoCA filter here: Why? & How?)

If you live in a "multi-dwelling building," you may want to review > this post <, highlighting proper connectivity in such a situation.

Also, have you tried connecting a laptop or PC with an Ethernet port to the remote MoCA adapter to see if they could make a successful network connection through to the router and Internet?

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Good point re: Mini, I'd forgotten that was in the mix.

Have you tried connecting the Mini via coax/MoCA, even without the Roamio being able to connect to your MoCA network?

Note that you can verify that your MoCA adapters are working, eliminating concerns with connecting coax lines & equipment, by connecting them directly using a single coax cable between their coax input ports. You'd disconnect the "bridging" MoCA adapter's coax port from your main coax lines for the test, but its Ethernet port would remain connected to a LAN port on your router. And you'd need a laptop or some other device with an Ethernet port connected to the "client" MoCA adapter to verify connectivity through the adapters.

Additionally, you can verify the bridging MoCA adapter is functioning and the Mini capable of connecting via MoCA by directly connecting the Mini to the bridging MoCA adapter's coax in port, and then configuring the Mini for a MoCA connection ("Connect using MoCA").

These confirmation tests can be useful in eliminating possible concerns with the components involved, and may help direct your troubleshooting focus.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I have the Ethernet coming from the Tivo bridge into the Ethernet port on the roamio. All lights are on.
My prior posts focused on verifying the MoCA adapters are properly connecting, but your "all lights are on" comment would seem to indicate they are. Testing the connection by attaching a laptop or PC to the "client" MoCA adapter's Ethernet port would help in determining if there's a configuration issue with the Roamio or a MoCA/network connection issue.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I have the coax coming from the wall with my splitter, then one end of the split coax into the modem the other into the bridge ... In my living room I have a cable coax coming from the wall into the splitter with one end going into the Tivo bridge and the other end into the roamio coax connection
Just touching all bases, can you report what these two splitters inside the rooms show as their supported frequency range? (You should see something printed on their labels along the lines of "5-1002 MHz.")

And you will want/need to find that central location where the coax lines come together... to identify the connecting components (especially to determine if an amp is involved), similarly note the frequency range supported, and to figure out where that freshly ordered PoE MoCA filter will need to be installed.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I was just wondering if maybe it was the router?
Honestly, it *could* be as simple as misconfiguring the IP setup, or the Roamio having issues with same; I kinda jumped on the MoCA thing since that seems the most frequent roadblock and your symptoms appeared to match -- but then every issue may appear to be a nail to a hammer. ;)

fcfc2's suggestion...
I would try using the normal DHCP settings on the Roamio and reset the router if necessary to start over.
... to initially give DHCP a try (allowing the Roamio to automatically receive an IP address assigned by the router) is a good one. Configuring static/reserved IPs for the TiVo equipment usually comes later, when customizing the setup for the longer term or to address a connectivity issue.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Where do you stand on testing the MoCA adapters using a direct coax cable connection between them? Or connecting a Mini directly to the bridging MoCA adapter's coax port and configuring the Mini for MoCA? (The Mini will complain when it can't find a compatible host DVR to which to connect, but it should still prove MoCA network connectivity.)

When you've successfully connected the MoCA adapter or Mini as MoCA clients, you should then be able to move them to their intended location and see whether the MoCA connectivity remains. If not, then you'll need to do the coax line tracing previously discussed.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
How do I connect the two MoCA bridges to test them?
Per above...
Note that you can verify that your MoCA adapters are working, eliminating concerns with connecting coax lines & equipment, by connecting them directly using a single coax cable between their coax input ports. You'd disconnect the "bridging" MoCA adapter's coax port from your main coax lines for the test, but its Ethernet port would remain connected to a LAN port on your router. And you'd need a laptop or some other device with an Ethernet port connected to the "client" MoCA adapter to verify connectivity through the adapters.
  • A coax cable between the adapters;
  • the bridging MoCA adapter connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on your router;
  • and some Ethernet-capable test device connected to the Ethernet port of the client MoCA adapter (ideally a laptop or PC with an Ethernet port).
You'd then verify the laptop has wired connectivity via the MoCA adapters (making sure to disable any wireless adapter on the laptop/PC), and optionally test the throughput across the MoCA segment.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I got the POE filter and it is at the junction right before the cable comes into the house so it is at the POE on the outside of the house.
When you say "the cable" I'm hearing that this is the only line coming into the house from the cable provider. That's good, as the MoCA filter located there will prevent your MoCA signals from traversing out onto your provider's premise and possibly into your neighbor's homes.

The preferred location for the PoE MoCA filter is on the input to the splitter* (coax distribution device) to which that line coming from your cable provider connects, to improve the performance of your MoCA network by minimizing any unnecessary travel of the MoCA signal. And sometimes the PoE MoCA filter can be placed a bit deeper in the coax network if the MoCA network's scope allows, further improving performance by limiting the MoCA network to just the coax runs where it's needed. (Another poster just linked a diagram with just this sort of configuration, here.)

* I'm still interested to learn the model number of that initial splitter, as it's the most critical component in your coax network, aside from the MoCA bridge.

The splitters are good, they came directly from Tivo and say "Tivo MoCA splitter" on them.
They *should* be good, but don't exclude the possibility they're faulty if/when everything else has been ruled-out.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I've been powering down the router, then the bridge, then the modem and powering back up in the opposite direction. Is that an effective way of doing it?
Power-up should be (where applicable):
  1. Modem
  2. Router
  3. Network Switches
  4. MoCA bridge (or TiVo DVR w/ MoCA bridge)
  5. MoCA adapters
  6. Other TiVo devices
Power-down could be in the opposite order, but is of less importance.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
The splitters are good, they came directly from Tivo and say "Tivo MoCA splitter" on them.
They *should* be good, but don't exclude the possibility they're faulty if/when everything else has been ruled-out.
the splitters are "Starburs Technologies MoCA 2.0 2-way splitter
A quick note re: your splitters; nothing authoritative, just wanted to provide a data point to buttress the "careful with assumptions" case.

See this thread: Moca diconnects and splitters are not all equal

If you have any splitters rated even for 5-1002 MHz, you may give them a try in place of the Starbursts -- though not yet having identified your distribution point component, I'm not sure you're yet at the "upgrade all splitters" phase.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Just retried it with the Roamio, same NO2 problem. Ports need to be opened on the router
Don't assume anything needs to change on the router. That's very likely just the Roamio unable to establish a network connection with the router owing to the MoCA adapter not making a connection back to the bridging MoCA adapter. Right?

Do you have any other Ethernet-capable device that you could connect to the client MoCA adapter in order to test its MoCA connection?

Alternatively, can the Mini establish a MoCA connection connected to the coax line in place of the Roamio's MoCA adapter?

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
I put the POE filter before the cable and internet coax, so it's before all the cables splitting into the rooms.
Given that you're establishing your MoCA network at your cable modem (and router) location, the PoE MoCA filter would need to be on the input of that initial 2-way splitter, just as you say you've done, to ensure the MoCA signals can travel from the modem location up and through that 2-way over to your 4-way splitter and its downstream locations.

There is a main splitter outside that splits the cable coax and the internet coax. From the cable coax there is a four way splitter that splits into the different rooms with cable.
Oh, ok, good. Can you report the model #s for those splitters outside, and their supported frequencies printed on their labels? (e.g. "5-1002 MHz")

Aside from some unexpected cabling issue (bad cable or connectors, coax run not actually connected), the specs on any/all splitters need to be reviewed, possibly upgrading to known good MoCA-compatible versions. (Verizon or Holland branded MoCA 2.0-rated models are recommended.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
Is there any chance you could take a picture of those splitters and that "Do not Remo..." device, and post back?

Short of that, I'm leaning very heavily towards that "Do not Remo..." device being a whole home filter (i.e. MoCA filter), and am very curious exactly where it is sitting in your coax hierarchy?

Is it somewhere between that initial 2-way splitter and the 4-way?

p.s. That cylindrical component likely has printing that says "Do not remove... Required for Multi-room DVR" or something similar. Do this... REMOVE IT ... but keeping your PoE MoCA filter in place on the input to the initial 2-way splitter. (Later, if this proves to be a breakthrough, if you're still inside the return window for your new MoCA filter, you could move this newfound old MoCA filter to where your new filter is properly installed for your setup, the input to the initial 2-way, and return your new filter.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It's a three way, I thought it was a four way because there are four rooms with cable but when I went back outside, I noticed it was a three way. But I will take a picture.
Gotcha. Though I'm MUCH more interested in that extraneous MoCA filter now. It should be removed, regardless of what the label says. If this MoCA filter is installed between your 2-way and 3-way (corrected) splitters, then that is VERY LIKELY what is blocking the MoCA signal from traveling from your bridging MoCA adapter to your rooms. (Heck, the only place a MoCA filter should be on your setup* is on the input to the initial 2-way, where you've already placed the new MoCA filter, so a MoCA filter in any other location at that central junction would be problematic.)

I'm talking about this thing...
the splitters are 5-1000 MHz two way and three way isolation splitters, so that may be the problem. Also I don't think this is it, but on one of the splitters, the main one that splits cable and internet there is some kind of adapter on it that looks sort of like the POE I bought, (meaning its round and has a male and female end). There's also a sticker on it that I could not totally read because it's wrapped around where it is attached to the house. But the part I can see says, "Do not Remo...) which I assume is "Do not Remove" but underneath the words "For..." but I can't see what's behind that. I assume that is some kind of adapter cable companies use to route internet through the cable into the home, but I don't know for sure.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
It's a three way, I thought it was a four way because there are four rooms with cable but when I went back outside, I noticed it was a three way. But I will take a picture.
Hmmm... That does beg the question of how you're getting cable in 4 rooms with just 3 outputs from that second splitter -- or were you including the cable modem as one of the "four rooms with cable"?

1 - 19 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.