TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the new Fire TV Cube (Gen 3) that has the HDMI “IN” port, and how well does it work with a TE3 Roamio?

I’m looking to retire a Harmony Hub because of the unreliable nature of Alexa asking Logitech to turn on my TV and then set all the input settings to make sure the correct HDMI port is selected and the sound bar is turned on, etc.

It seems that Logitech is the weak link in my scenario.

I can ask Alexa to “Turn on the TV” which is connected to my Harmony routine to turn on the TV, set it to the HDMI port the Roamio is on, and then make sure the sound bar is turned on and its input correctly set.

Frequently when I say “Alexa, turn on the TV”, Alexa says, “OK” but the LEDs on the Harmony Hub never blink. I interpret this to mean that either Logitech’s servers didn’t respond to Alexa’s request, or Logitech’s servers didn’t send the request to my hub. If I say “Alexa, turn on the TV” a 2nd time, it usually works and I see the lights blink on the Harmony hub and then all is well. Sometimes I have to ask 3 or 4 times…it’s frustrating so I’m looking for a way to eliminate the Harmony.

I’ve read the new 2022 Gen 3 Fire TV Cube can control a “cable box” via HDMI-CEC. My Roamio is connected to my OTA antenna (not cable tv). So I’m curious, if I plug my Roamio’s HDMI OUT to the Cube’s HDMI IN, then the Cube’s HDMI OUT to my LG OLED TV’s HDMI-ARC: Will the Cube (via HDMI-CEC) be able to turn on my TV to the Roamio input and make sure the sound bar is turned on, all via the magic of Alexa and HDMI-CEC?

I have no interest in trying to control the Roamio with the Cube’s remote…I’ll still use my awesome Tivo peanut remote when I’m watching shows recorded on my Roamio. I would just like reliability with the voice control to turn on my TV and I’m thinking that the Harmony is the unreliable part of this scenario.

I read somewhere the Logitech is stepping away from the Harmony remote line, so I don’t expect Harmony’s reliability to get any better any time soon…it’ll probably get worse…so I’m looking for alternatives.

Anyone have experience with the new Gen 3 Cube and a Roamio? How well does it work?

·
Registered
8,163 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's looking like HDMI-CEC is not exactly reliable either...but it seems like the only way I'll know is to try it. Or, maybe I'll retire the Harmony and use a Broadlink RM Pro to IR-blast the necessary commands to my system to switch between the FireTV and the Tivo. It might be more reliable than Harmony...I'll try the Broadlink option first since I already have one. Still intrigued by what the above article had to say...and the ability to watch both FireTV and Tivo without jumping across HDMI inputs on the TV still sounds tasty...;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have it and it works great! It allows me to put at the last link to the TV. Have multiple inputs going to Onkyo then to the TV. Romio being one. I can tell Fire TV to go to Tivo and it switches inputs on the receiver and Tivo is displayed. I can't control the Tivo but I don't care. I'm getting away from Tivo for recordings.

I have a Harmony hub in the bedroom and it was a pain to setup but I can tell Alexa to turn on the TV and go to any channel by name or number. I can't go to a set volume I have to say set volume up or down. It works and I like it but I have a Gen 2 Fire TV on that TV as well and find myself using it more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts