TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
I doubt if there is anything you can do to salvage any of the recordings. One very slight possibility would be to use a program like SpinRite to try and fix it (similar to your own ideas, only that program is actually good!). But since the drive contents had gotten so bad that your box would not even boot with that drive, I'd bet that anything that affects those bad sectors will not enable TiVo to read the drive again. The problems with the drive contents have to be much worse than just a few bad programs.

Cannot hurt to try though, since everything is already lost.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Thanks for the input. Would spinrite actually work with the LINUX based TiVo hard drive? I went to the website and it appears its an MS-DOS based application.
You will have to contact them for more information, as I have not used my copy for several years. If I recall correctly, the program can access virtually any drive because it does not depend on the formatting.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Spnrite will often "repair" discs that nothing else can touch. No, it cannot replace data that is already gone, but it works in such a way that the drive often becomes usable again even if some files are lost or truncated. The goal here is to try and get the TiVo to actually boot again, then he can try to save any programs that still exist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.