TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Smartypants
2,486 Posts
RayJ said:
Gary, that was a great help.

One more question...

Since I have a single length of RG6 already in the wall, should I use it to pull a string? It seems all the talk about the sticks assumes I am starting from scratch.

And by the way, I have a concrete slab (no crawlspace) and this is on the first floor with no access to the space between the floors. In other words, I'm flying relatively blind.

Thanks
With no access above or below you are in a tough spot. I would NOT use the existing cable to a string. Going around bends is a bear. Short of pulling down drywall the easiest thing would be to use exterior wiring to the room or adjacent room. Whats on the other side of the wall or nearby? closet? garage? exterior? and run the wire around the baseboard if needed. The simplest route isn't always the most direct a closet or spare bedroom on the other side of the wall can hide a multitude of sin.

· Smartypants
2,486 Posts
One other option if you are dead set on running the wire in the wall and are having problems fishing. This will require a little extra work run the cable into the upper floor using the "closet method". Drill a hole up thru the ceiling as close to the wall as possible (right on the wall line if possible). Fish the wire down into the room outside the wall. Next drill into the wall as close to the ceiling as possible. then cut a groove connecting the holes just big enough for the wire . Next fish the wire down the wall. when you get to the fire break inside the wall come outside the wall again and go back in below the break cutting a groove between the exit and entry points. repeat as needed. This will require small repairs of the grooves all less than 2" x 1/4. if you are careful you can repair this with a little dry wall mud and tape. I don't have any Idea how to handle the horizontal run between floors.

If you have good capentry skills you could remove the baseboard and cut a groove on the back of the baseboard for the cable and reinstall, but that is generally more of a pain than its worth, other options are flat cable , tucking cale between wall and the tack strip if you have wall to wall. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.