TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HR10-250 and a ReplayTV installed in a closet about 15 feet from where I watch TV. I have been successfully using a Radio Shack Room-To-Room IR repeater to control both the HR10-250 and the ReplayTV.

Because my wife does not like the Room-to-Room transmitter sitting on top of the TV, I decided to purchase the RF Remote Converter from WeaKnees. The transmitter for this device is located in a replacement battery that fits inside the remote control. The battery is fully charged.

It seems to control the ReplayTV fairly well, but not as well as the Room-to-Room, but is very unreliable when controlling the HR10-250. Sometimes I will have to push a button several times before anything happens. I'm using the original remotes for both units.

Has anyone had success with the RF Remote Converter controlling an HR10-250? Is this thing a POS or do I just have a bad unit?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have fooled around with this thing for 2 days now and I'm having no more luck than when I installed it on the first day.

I don't believe RF interference is a problem for me because the light on the unit that indicates it is receiving an RF signal stays off until I press a button on the remote.

The unit works flawlessly with a ReplayTV unit, but that is not what I purchased it for.

With the HR10-250 remote, the unit only responds to about 1 out of 3 button presses and sometimes it more like 1 out of 20. I have tried using the remote within a few feet of the receiver with no improvement. The RF light comes on when I press the buttons on the remote, but the HR10-250 does not respond most of the time. I have also tried positioning the RF Remote Converter receiver at various positions and distances from the HR10-250, and also used the little IR blaster with about the same success.

The Radio Shack Room-to-Room IR repeater works flawlessly with both the HR10-250 and the ReplayTV, so I guess I will just stick with that and send the weaKnees unit back.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's as bad as what you've been experiencing, but the HD TiVo drives me nuts because it seems like a lot of my button pressing isn't getting sent to the TiVo. The indicator light blinks every time and my Denon receiver works great, so I just assumed it was the TiVo.
But my TiVo works perfectly with the IR repeater from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the IR transmitter across the room and it works perfectly.
Across the room in a closet is about 2 feet away. I did place the IR receiver on an upper shelf in the closet and then put the IR blaster at several locations in front of the TiVo, but I still could get no reliability from the unit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still using the Radio Shack IR repeater with no problems after 14 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.