TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a TiVo Bolt 1TB that died while we were watching it. Just "poof" and it was gone, like we flipped a switch. It's clearly something with the main circuit board inside the TiVo itself -- were it a hard-drive failure, it would've given us all kinds of "recording can't be found" errors and video-skipping and other such nonsense. So I'm 99.9% sure the hard-drive in there is still good.

So... How do I get the onepasses and recordings off of this drive? Ideally, I'd like to plug it into my PC (or Mac) via a USB-to-SATA connector of some sort, and copy stuff off... (Although, if I have to provide 12-volts, I guess I'd have to physically install it into my PC, yeah? USB doesn't do 12-volts...)

Anyway, I know that Windows cannot directly read a TiVo hard drive -- they use different file-systems. However, I'm sure there is software that someone has invented out there that will let Windows read what's on this drive, no? I just need to know where to get this software...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Laurence MacNeill
Ball Ground, Georgia, USA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alternatively -- can I take the hard-drive out of my dead TiVo Bolt and put it into the new TiVo Bolt that TiVo just sent to me? Would that be the easiest thing to do? Just swap drives and keep all my old stuff? Or would the new TiVo Bolt recognize that it's not the original drive and do something stupid like format it?

Thanks,
L.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha... That would've been too easy.

It's been a very long time since I've hacked a TiVo -- adding space to my TiVo Series 3 back when it was brand new was the last time I did anything...

I remember there was some software that would read and write to TiVo hard drives back then, but I can not for the life of me find it anywhere... I think it was called WinMFS, but all searches for that have failed... It looks like it's been discontinued?

So what has replaced WinMFS?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,611 Posts
Everything on the Tivo drive is encrypted and only that box can decrypt it, so there is no other way to get stuff off if it cannot run.

WinMFS does not work for anything newer than Series 3 (Tivo unsupported).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all my recordings and OnePasses are just gone? Seriously?! There's NOTHING that will read this ****ing hard drive?!! What a load of ****! What the **** happened to goddamn TiVo and their hackability?!!?!! ****ing ********!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,611 Posts
It has been this way since Tivo even started. Encryption to preserve copyrights, etc.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
So all my recordings and OnePasses are just gone? Seriously?! There's NOTHING that will read this ******* hard drive?!! What a load of ****! What the **** happened to goddamn TiVo and their hackability?!!?!! ******* ********!
How much do you want to spend? There are disk duplicators, under $50, that will duplicate a drive. I just made a duplicate of my laptop 1TB 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive. This was with a Win 10 laptop. I can't make any promises, but it's something to think about. There is a lot of data in NVRAM with a TiVo, so I don't know how it will act with a cloned drive.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
So I have a TiVo Bolt 1TB that died while we were watching it. Just "poof" and it was gone, like we flipped a switch. It's clearly something with the main circuit board inside the TiVo itself -- were it a hard-drive failure, it would've given us all kinds of "recording can't be found" errors and video-skipping and other such nonsense. So I'm 99.9% sure the hard-drive in there is still good
That's not true as drives can fail catastrophically without any warning signs. Did you try pulling the drive and testing it with the manufacturer's software in a PC?

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.