TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just tried my upgraded Tivo hard drive in my machine - failure! :mad:

After numerous attempts to just simply get a linux disc to boot in my PC I feel like chucking them in the river!(Tivo & PC). I frequently get a big red box with the message "Invalid copy!"
The Tivo powers up, there is no Tivo "cartoon" it goes to The blue Tivo main page and imediately disappears to reveal live TV.
I have assumed that my backup from which I restored is at fault. I still have my original Tivo drive (40Gb) which does work in Tivo and which I suppose I should try to use now.
When I come to read the guides they all seem to detail making a backup or restoring from one. I want to restore from my original Tivo drive but this did not work as it said it did not exist (tivo.bak, I assume). What is the command to use? " All ideas gratefully accepted.

· tivoheaven.co.uk
2,882 Posts
To make a copy of the settings and system from your original drive, boot from the LBA48 CD and use the following command:-

mfsbackup -l32 -so - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s NNN -r4 -xzpi - /dev/hdY

where hdX is your original drive, NNN is the size of the target drive in GB and hdY is the target drive.

Then, if the target is > 137GB run copykern, choosing hdY and kernel option 1 to copy the LBA48 kernel and initialise the swap.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can't get Blindlemon's command line to work (this will be ME not IT).
To verify:
mfsbackup -l32 (is this an "l" as in lemon?) -so ("s" "o" as in sierra oscar?) -/dev/hda l (is this the pipe symbol?) mfsrestore -s400 -r4 -xzpi- /dev/hdc

I'm using a 400 Gb Samsung on secondary master, Tivo "A" drive in primary master.

I receive usage options followed by a Restore failed: -:Success (whatever that means)

Where am I going wrong?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're probably correct about the spaces. I'm keen to try it out but I just can't get my pc to boot from any of my linux discs.
I have spent hours on this over the past week, I don't mind having a go myself, you live and learn but when the poxy thing won't even boot.....
The strange thing is that at some point or other all my discs have booted, some only 2 hours ago. I can hear the disc being searched for its boot record for a couple of mins but then ....not found.
My bios can "see" my 2 hard drives and the CD.
Sometimes on the rare occassions when it boots I think I've found a reason / answer, if only.
Any ideas anyone?

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Have you got all your devices jumpered correctly to "Master" and "Slave".
I had similar problems when I did an upgrade because I'd neglected to put everthing on the right IDE channel - one combination doesn't work in my system.
I've also had the horrible moment when your Tivo won't boot because the drive is misjumpered.
Take a deep breath and start from first principals checking the jumper (and the right way up for the diagram) and then connecting the device.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your help, my Tivo has risen from the ashes (well the river bed anyway). The single biggest problem I had was that my pc wouldn't boot into linux, well it did - sometimes, but there was no pattern to it. I have a new DVD-RW in it - and therein lies the problem, when I connected the old drive instead - it booted every time!
Mikerr was indeed correct about my misinterpretation of Blindlemon's command line, I've often been called a spaceman but I guess now it must be true!

Another victory for the Tivo Community Forum! :D :D :D

· Regurgitated user
314 Posts
SJC said:
...Mikerr was indeed correct about my misinterpretation of Blindlemon's command line, I've often been called a spaceman but I guess now it must be true!...
We've all been there. I remember when I was a lot younger typing "rm -r / tmp"on a customer's live machine. The space between / and tmp changed this from a command to clear the tmp directory into one that started in the root directory and deleted everything below it and incidentally delete a file called tmp in the current directory.

Ouch!!! It took years to live that one down :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.