TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I've read it will work. But it is an SMR drive. Coupled with being a 2.5" I doubt it will last nearly as long as a good 3.5 CMR drive in an external. But is a choice for those totally against going external. One other consideration, when shucking that pretty much voids the warranty. Also pre-assembled shuckable externals usually have a shorter warranty than a retail 3.5 even if you reassembled due to a failure. I think it is a tight squeeze in an EDGE too, 15mm. Fits fine in a Bolt.
The 15mm won't fit inside Edge. Must be 7mm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seagate 5T ST5000LM000 from Costco works OK. You have to shuck it first then put it in Edge. I purchased a few from Amazon that failed.
I have 2 edges.
These 5T drives have been working OK for me. I put a couple of heat sinks on top of them and all has been good.
I think the Newer ones from costco have been quality tested better. I keep my recordings duplicated on each edge and use tivo web transfer to keep them the same. If 1 drive fails I'll just put in another and recopy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.