TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well the original poster was asking about an EDGE so pretty much everything I suggested was considering that. The 15mm will fit in an Edge but a really tight squeeze, cover may not close completely and have to leave out part of a bracket. A 2.5 9/9.5mm will fit but largest capacity 9/9.5 disk based CMR is 2TB I think. However they were also interested in 6TB and up, the 5TB 15mm 2.5 SMR drive is CLOSE but there is NO 2.5" disk based drive larger than 5TB. I will stick with my original recommendation, external, CMR 3.5, Sata to Sata (skip the Esata connecting to the enclosure), then can go as large as you want at least 14TB, maybe 20. It's not tough really, once you have the correct enclosure, cables, drive about 1/2 hour to an hour.

By the way, forget about SSD for an Edge, at least as far as I know. Edge is TE4 only. There are a few people testing large capacity SSDs in Tivos but TE3 ONLY. As far as I know no SSD will work with TE4 (if I am wrong, if anyone got one to work please post). So if true no SSDs in Edge, TE3 capable Tivos only.
Why no SSD's in TiVo's with TE4?

·
Registered
11 Posts
They don't work on TE4. Nor do most SMR drives. Nor do some external that use eSata. Te4 is a pain for drive updates/replacements, especially with Bolt or Edge. Pretty much use a CMR drive only. That goes for TE3 also, though a bit more flexible. Anything else, good luck.

FYI no reason to use an SSD in a Tivo anyway. Unless just a fun experiment. They would wear out much faster than a regular drive and speed is meaningless, Tivos use Sata 1 speed.
TiVo is sending a 2TB edge as a replacement for $200. I figured weaknees wants $200 for a replacement 2TB drive so it wasn't a terrible deal. Plus they are transferring my lifetime subscription too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2 edges.
These 5T drives have been working OK for me. I put a couple of heat sinks on top of them and all has been good.
I think the Newer ones from costco have been quality tested better. I keep my recordings duplicated on each edge and use tivo web transfer to keep them the same. If 1 drive fails I'll just put in another and recopy.
I did not realize until I started reading the forums that the drives had to be so particular. If I could have picked up a new drive and installed it over the weekend I would have done that, but the replacement for $200 is just easier and I get the latest hardware as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.