TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

my 250gb drive appears to be failing so I thought it would be a good idea to copy all the info inc recordings to a new 250gb drive. I'm using the dd command but does anyone have any idea how long this should normally take and will the dd command do a complete copy ie. >137gb kernal etc?

cheers

Gary

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
Yes, it will copy everything - dd makes an exact sector-for-sector copy of the drive.

I would expect 250gb to take anything from 12-18 hours to 2 weeks depending on the speed of your PC and the number of bad sectors on the source drive. Have you tried using MFSTools? That would be a lot quicker if your drive isn't full.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it took a little over 26 hours - but job done (238mb copied). just got to send the 250gb media drive to rexo for replacement.

blindlemon - do you happen to know if rexo have any of these drives currently in stock?

cheers

Gary

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
They normally have both SP2514N and HA250JC - although I very rarely have to RMA an HA250JC :up: - and will usually send out a replacement within a couple of days of receiving the faulty drive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - thanx for info.

Sorry to ask and a little off topic but thought I would install a turbonet card while I'm changing the HD but could anyone please point me in the best direction for info on how to do the install?

cheers

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.