TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 ea Roamio's OTA that I purchased one year ago, have been happy until now. The one in our bedroom is wireless and will not connect to TIVO to get the guide updates. The one in the living room is ethernet and only because I bought a mini for the media room, before the mini it was wireless as well. TIVO support had me take the one having issues and plugging in the ethernet cable, still would not connect. They sent out a replacement and rec.last Saturday and the very same thing is still happening, got support back on the phone Sunday and did the same things as before and said they would ship another and it arrived this morning and the same thing, back on the phone again and guess what ?, going to send me another one to try.Would anyone recommend just going with the Bolt ? or is there another newer something in the works and should wait.Thanks.

· in the other Alabama
20,962 Posts
Swap the Roamio units and test a service connection. Also, there is a test in the Roamio that doesn't need to get guide data. You might try it to see if it also fails.

Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Internet Connection. Also, in the same display there is a Network Status display. Compare the two. Except for the MAC ID and the last octet of the IP Address, they should be identical.

One more thing: using TiVo Online (http://online.tivo.com/start/watch/JustForMeTVE) can you transfer files between the two units?

· TDL shepherd
17,899 Posts
At some point I’d consider trying a different router, or resetting the router. If doing the latter, start by backing-up the router configuration, documenting any customizations if not already done, resetting the router to defaults and updating it to the latest firmware. Then try getting just the problematic Roamio connected, wired connection first.

Though pondering it, before nuking the router, you could try direct-connecting the Roamio to your modem, if that’s possible with your setup.

I’d also compare IP settings on your Roamios, to make sure they’re configured for the same network ... but different IP addresses. And confirm that the IPs don’t conflict with any other devices on your LAN.

· Registered
492 Posts
Occam's razor would say that three successive replacement devices all failing to work is not a hardware problem with the replacement device, which leads to a network issue, and given that you are seeing failures on both the wireless and wired connections, I'd look next at the router. I'd power-fail everything first- including the ISP modem (if not combined with the Router) bringing the modem / router back up first, allowing a few minutes for things to stabilize, then power each Roamio one at a time, making sure the first Roamio can connect to the TiVo service, then power up the second. A reset to factory defaults on the router may be needed. Pure speculation, but the firewall settings tables may be corrupted, or something else that is blocking communication to the outside world.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swap the Roamio units and test a service connection. Also, there is a test in the Roamio that doesn't need to get guide data. You might try it to see if it also fails.

Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Internet Connection. Also, in the same display there is a Network Status display. Compare the two. Except for the MAC ID and the last octet of the IP Address, they should be identical.

One more thing: using TiVo Online (http://online.tivo.com/start/watch/JustForMeTVE) can you transfer files between the two units?
We cannot get pass the initial setup, they all check off and done and two screens later no antenna with this zip code, have always used the same one. Over the last week have tried as many as twelve.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I don't understand is the TIVO in the living room hooked via ethernet direct from my HughesNet modem works just fine can update with no problems. So why then if I remove this box that works and put a replacement in there and it does not. When I first ordered the mini I had this same problem and TIVO sent a replacement and it worked fine. TIVO suggested running setup via ethernet and that is what I have done with the last two. The other one will be here tomorrow and will try again.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not totally know what happen, tried the BR Roamio yesterday to run TIVO service connection via wifi and changed the connection from 2G to 5G and it ran all the way through, had no reason to change this setting, was rec. a great signal, lesson learned. We also had a few channels that changed their frequencies 2 weeks ago, think this is where it all started, all though the LR was never a problem. So I have a third box showing up today that i will return, want to keep the original because of our recorded shows. I want to thank those who have tried to help, this is a great forum and I also sent an email to TIVO support thanking them as well.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have to ask, where is In the other Alabama, I live here in Alabama.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hughes net, eh? How's that working for you? I'm guessing it is expensive and/or slow. <30mb ?
Hughes net is all we have out here were we live, it gets the job done for the price. I wish we had access to some super fast internet. I purchase 20GB per month for $50.00 and those speeds are 20 to 30 MB, but I use them up in the first 5 to 7 days and then I get throttle to around 3 MB. We get a 50GB bonus per month that is good from 2AM to 8AM. We only watch OTA and Netflix. With the slower speeds the Netflix pic isn't the best but watchable and sometimes, not often it will buffer and not watchable, just watch a recorded program then.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We had gotten the original box to finally get the guide updated and all was good, but then the what to watch and the search functions were not working. The forth box showed up and and set it up with no problem, just like it's suppose to. We will be sending the original box back and hope no more issues for a long time, we do like out TIVO's. Thanks again to the folks trying to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.