TiVo Community Forum banner

Remote control power on both TV and Receiver?

3744 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JHawk
I set up my old Sony S1 SVR-2000 remote so that clicking the power button power down (or power up) both the TV and the A/V Receiver (a second later). It didn't always work, sometimes leaving one or the other ON but when it did, it was convenient.

I don't remember how I set this up on the Sony.

Is it possible to do this with the peanut remotes (in my case, for the HD Tivo)?

Thanks,
Gary Davis
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I don't think so. The power button can only be tied to one device on the peanut remotes. More fancy universal remotes can do what you want.

I personally have a Harmony 880, which can be overkill for some people, but since I had 6 remote controls, this allows me to condense everything into one remote. And it runs macros.
gardavis said:
I set up my old Sony S1 SVR-2000 remote so that clicking the power button power down (or power up) both the TV and the A/V Receiver (a second later). It didn't always work, sometimes leaving one or the other ON but when it did, it was convenient.

I don't remember how I set this up on the Sony.

Is it possible to do this with the peanut remotes (in my case, for the HD Tivo)?

Thanks,
Gary Davis
Yes,

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter TV code
2. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, enter AUD receiver code
3. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter AUD receiver code again
Thanks, Edmund. That did it. Now, when I click Power, it turns off the TV, I quickly point the remote at the receiver and it goes off too. The same goes for turning both on.

Gary
Aus1ander, the Tivo remote is for my wife. I use an old Radio Shack 15-1994 which I program with my PC using a JP1 cable and software (see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/). It's big and clunky but works good for all my devices.

Gary
Yes,

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter TV code
2. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, enter AUD receiver code
3. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter AUD receiver code again
I can enter many product numbers and still have Power to the TV (Panasonic HD) and Audio (Yamaha) up and down but cannot turn off/on my Yamaha Receiver. Am I asking too much? It seems others have achieved all three steps, what have I missed?

I have a Harmony 880 and am tired of the hours it takes to set up. Any IR Remotes others would suggest (generic platform)? All those other bell's and whistles are not desired.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jerry
Its not the fault of the tivo remote, it the yamaha use of two key power scheme, one key for ON and another for standby. The tivo remote won't give something the yamaha oem remote doesn't even give you. a power toggle.

This goes for onkyo & HK av receiver too.
I can enter many product numbers and still have Power to the TV (Panasonic HD) and Audio (Yamaha) up and down but cannot turn off/on my Yamaha Receiver. Am I asking too much? It seems others have achieved all three steps, what have I missed?

I have a Harmony 880 and am tired of the hours it takes to set up. Any IR Remotes others would suggest (generic platform)? All those other bell's and whistles are not desired.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jerry
If you have a S3 or TiVo Glow remote you can try the learning feature of the remote. If that fails you can try a code search. See link for instructions.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport...eature_of_the_TiVo_Glo_or_Series3_Remote.html
I only had to do step one to get my peanut to control the TV power, a/v receiver power, and a/v receiver volume?:p

RCA TV and RCA receiver:up:
Its not the fault of the tivo remote, it the yamaha use of two key power scheme, one key for ON and another for standby. The tivo remote won't give something the yamaha oem remote doesn't even give you. a power toggle.

This goes for onkyo & HK av receiver too.
Hmm does this apply to me?

I think I have it set up right - I can turn off tv and control volume on the receiver (Yamaha RX-V3800), I even tried the tip above where you program the TV PWR again with the receiver code, but ....

when I push TV PWR, the sound from the receiver turns off for about 2 seconds - then it turns on again! What is going on here? any way to fix?
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I picked up a glo remote on the cheap at Best Buy. For the life of me I can't get it work with my Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver. Any one have a work around since the last post?

TIA,

JHawk (sad at the moment)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.