TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddenly yesterday, with no other changes, my Series 2 Toshiba box is having issues with the remote control.
If I move down once, it will try to move down between 3 and 9 times (instead of once). If I use the knob on the box the cursor moves properly.

I tried replacing the batteries to no avail... I restarted the TiVo box twice.

Is this a known issue at the box?
Is it more likely to be with the remote itself?

I have a Pronto, so I'll program a key to duplicate the function of the remote control to narrow it down to the remote or not.

Since I now never use it as a DVD player, I was wondering if the Series1 remote control will work with it, or whether any newer peanut shaped Tivo remote works with my box...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What Jimspence said but also turn off all the lights and close your blinds/curtains and any other electronics (especially the Wii).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Funny, I have been experiencing a similar issue with my Series2, and it started around the same time. I was wondering if an unannounced update to the TiVo is causing a bug in the IR sensor.

With both my original TiVo remote and my Harmony 810 (which definitely means it's not the remote), signals are either not being detected (annoying when I want to stop fast-forwarding) or sometimes detecting multiple button presses (particularly annoying with the 30-sec skip). If I get up close, it's not as much of a problem, however. It's just as if the sensitivity of the IR sensor is out of whack.

At first, I thought it was being caused by my SlingBox's IR blaster, but I removed it and still had the problem.

I have a Wii, but it's hardly ever used and the IR bar is quite a distance from the TiVo, so I doubt that's causing any interference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was having the exact same problem - turns out one of my other remotes was sitting in a little wire basket with just enough pressure to push a button.

Searching the forums always works!

Thanks guys/gals!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts