TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to release a tuner from a TV that I have a Mini connected to it but I want to know if there's a way to release any tuner a Mini is using from the Bolt.
I have 6 Mini's connected to my network and sometimes I don't release the tuner from Mini itself but want to access all 4 streams at once on my Bolt (watch multiple sporting events etc at once w/the ability to rewind is an example) but sometimes one or more of the tuners are being used by a Mini.
Is there a way to force a release of a tuner from a Mini using the Bolt interface/box?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I know how to release a tuner from a TV that I have a Mini connected to it but I want to know if there's a way to release any tuner a Mini is using from the Bolt.
I have 6 Mini's connected to my network and sometimes I don't release the tuner from Mini itself but want to access all 4 streams at once on my Bolt (watch multiple sporting events etc at once w/the ability to rewind is an example) but sometimes one or more of the tuners are being used by a Mini.
Is there a way to force a release of a tuner from a Mini using the Bolt interface/box?
Put the mini on standby.
Edit: grammar

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
The only way that I’m aware of would be to force reclamation of the tuners by starting additional recordings.

Being able to broadcast a ‘Standby’ command to all Mini’s would be useful. Short of that, maybe the mobile app or KMTTG offers an alternative.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
Or maybe play with some of what’s discussed in this thread and you could tell Alexa to sleep all your Mini’s?

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Assuming you're on TE4, this is what works from my Roamio.

Press Right to display the tuners
Select the one in use by a Mini
Press Info
Select Options
Select Watch Now
Change channel as you wish

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Assuming you're on TE4, this is what works from my Roamio.

Press Right to display the tuners
Select the one in use by a Mini
Press Info
Select Options
Select Watch Now
Change channel as you wish
Ok. What that does is change the tuner I'm currently using to watch whatever station is on the tuner the Mini is using. It doesn't help with what I'm trying to accomplish- releasing that tuner via the Bolt.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
That just records what's on that tuner.
Understood. But as you set more shows to record right now, eventually either the BOLT is going to tell you that you can't record, or the tuner will be stolen back from the Mini in order to effect the recording. (At least that's how I thought it worked.)

Once you have recordings on all the tuners, stop and delete the temporary recordings and then check tuner status. (Did the Mini keep or steal a tuner back, or are they all available?)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Understood. But as you set more shows to record right now, eventually either the BOLT is going to tell you that you can't record, or the tuner will be stolen back from the Mini in order to effect the recording. (At least that's how I thought it worked.)

Once you have recordings on all the tuners, stop and delete the temporary recordings and then check tuner status. (Did the Mini keep or steal a tuner back, or are they all available?)
I could give that a try...a lot of work when it seems like it should be something you should be able to do without all those steps from the Bolt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I could give that a try...a lot of work when it seems like it should be something you should be able to do without all those steps from the Bolt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this isn't what you asked for, but you could use a smartphone to control your Mini(s) while sitting in front of your Bolt. The Tivo App has a Remote Control that can control each of your Tivos.
hm - I don't have my phone w/me upstairs where the Bolt is but I do have a tablet so I just d/l the app to it and after trying 5 times w/my email and pword all I get is "A network error occurred. Please try again". So that's not an option...frustrating the app doesn't work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts