TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hard drive crashed on our TiVo and I replaced it with a new 2 TB unit I bought on eBay. Everything worked fine till we had a power outage and all the recorded content disappeared. This never happened with the original hard drive and I’m at a loss to explain it. It has happened twice now. Can anyone help with this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you - was not aware of this device - checked amazon and there are many sizes - could you please advise how to know which one would be best? Wouldn’t need backup power for more than a minute as we have a whole house generator that kicks on when we lose power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you - was not aware of this device - checked amazon and there are many sizes - could you please advise how to know which one would be best? Wouldn’t need backup power for more than a minute as we have a whole house generator that kicks on when we lose power.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
How did you replace the drive? An image that you obtained (maybe here) or copied the 'old' drive?

If it was an image, did you do a Clear+Delete+Everything since the re-image?

It's likely required...

-KP

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Any idea what might cause content to disappear on TiVo Premiere with replaced hard drive after power failure but does not happen on Roamio?
If it was an image, did you do a Clear+Delete+Everything since the re-image?
I'm guessing this as well as someone else reported something similar (did not do a Clear and Delete Everything after replacing a hard drive).

Scott

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The hard drive crashed on our TiVo and I replaced it with a new 2 TB unit I bought on eBay. Everything worked fine till we had a power outage and all the recorded content disappeared. This never happened with the original hard drive and I'm at a loss to explain it. It has happened twice now. Can anyone help with this issue?
A few questions...
  • The new HD did it come with the TiVo software installed or did you copy the software from the original TiVo drive?
  • Was guided setup run with the new drive?
  • How long ago and approximately how many recordings were on the drive before the power outage?
  • You said it happened twice how long between?
  • What is the TiVo Account Status of the DVR in system information.
  • Does the first 3 digits of the TiVo service Number in system information match the TSN on the DVR?
If the Media Access Key is all 0's yes you need to run the Clear and Delete Everything to initialize the hard drive with the DVR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few questions...
  • The new HD did it come with the TiVo software installed or did you copy the software from the original TiVo drive?
  • How long ago and approximately how many recordings were on the drive before the power outage?
  • Does the first 3 digits of the TiVo service Number in system information match the TSN on the DVR?
If the Media Access Key is all 0's yes you need to run the Clear and Delete Everything to initialize the hard drive with the DVR.
Forgot to check this thread - thanks so much for all the info - will have my husband check all this - one question - the new hard drive is recording content but loses it after a power failure - doing a clear and delete will fix that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few questions...
The media access key is not all zeros and the si indicates the storage capacity of the new hard drive

·
wait.. I did what?
14,631 Posts
The media access key is not all zeros and the si indicates the storage capacity of the new hard drive
Multiple people asked nicely, I'll ask again since you haven't answered.. did you do a Clear and Delete Everything? that's required when you put a drive or image from another Tivo into your unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Multiple people asked nicely, I'll ask again since you haven't answered.. did you do a Clear and Delete Everything? that's required when you put a drive or image from another Tivo into your unit.
I so appreciate all the responses, help and suggestions - did not know a clear and delete was necessary when installing a new hard drive - will definitely do that ASAP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.