TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll describe last night as it happened. Turned TV on and saw two recorded shows I wanted to watch, gotham and orville. I briefly started gotham then changed my mind and decided to watch orville first. After I was done watching Orville I deleted it and went to recorded shows Gotham was gone. I checked recently deleted and suggestions incase it moved itself, it's nowhere.

This has happened twice now, so not just a random fluke, both times the same thing, watched less than a minute of a recorded show, switched to another, and the first show was gone. Last time I went to the guide and bookmarked it but that didn't do anything, just added it to a not available category.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,308 Posts
How full is your Shows list? Do you use Keep Until I Delete alot? Is Recent Deleted empty? Do you have suggestions enabled? Do you have a lot scheduled to record over the next 3 days?

Otherwise, may not have an explanation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How full is your Shows list?
22%

Do you use Keep Until I Delete alot?
I don't think I have anything set that way, if so certainly not a lot.

Is Recent Deleted empty?
Right this minute it is, yes. After I delete a show it does show up there tho, apparently not for long tho since it's empty now.

Do you have suggestions enabled?
Yes.

Do you have a lot scheduled to record over the next 3 days?
I'm not sure how to check that or what is defined as a lot. Every day I have a bunch of news shows set to record starting at like 4am going all day except the early afternoon when there's none on (that I never actually watch the recordings of, but I like to be able to hit the livetv button to switch to the news quickly if I have TV on in the background). I also have 1-3 primetime shows record most nights. Plus I have one old re-run show set to record.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Is you unit using the original hard disk, or has the drive been upgraded/replaced? Some people with upgraded drives have been reporting erroneously early deletions.

Another possibility is your provide has somehow erroneously tagged the show with CCI of 0x03 - Copy Never - in which case the Tivo is required to poof the show after 90 minutes.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
That's just dastardly--is that or anything similar ever used?
Almost never seen in nature. It used to be occasionally seen just due to station/cable provider ignorance or error, but rarely, and not in a very long time. Some MLB channels have used it deliberately in recent years, no idea if they've continued.

It's unlikely long-shot to the OP's problem, but it's a mechanism that *can* poof shows unexpectedly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I upgraded the hard drive when I first bought it years ago to I think 1TB. (I tried going into settings to find these details now, it doesn't show size, just shows variable up to 477 HD hours as recording capacity). Never had an issue and never filled it up.

The other time this happened was was the season finale of criminal minds. So if it was that CCI thing, my local fox did it for gotham and CBS for criminal minds. How would I check that? I assume "proof the show" means delete it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been thinking about what to do about this if nobody happens to know a solution. I want to test if it's 100% repeatable, and don't want to wipe any more recordings as I'm already annoyed about missing gotham, so I could set up some recordings of some other shows I don't care about to test if the same thing happens to them. Let's say it does tho - if it's just me, does that mean my tivo is broken?!?!? Any options for repair? Or let's say this is something that affects everyone, or everyone with my model tivo, how does one actually report a "bug"?

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,107 Posts
just shows variable up to 477 HD hours as recording capacity).
That would be a 3TB drive. Can't help with the real issue as I've never experienced it.

·
My One Time
15,817 Posts
I would start by disabling suggestions. Then record a bunch of shows and delete them and see how long they stay in the deleted recordings folder.

To the community, suggestions recording will cause shows to get permanently deleted from the deleted recordings folder, yes?

At least that could be why Gotham wasn't in the deleted shows folder.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
By any chance, have you transferred shows to your TiVo box from your PC? Under some circumstances, this has been known to seemingly corrupt the TiVo box's database such that shows become unplayable.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
If you are going to test other programs to check for repeatability, also check the Deleted Programs folder and the History folder. This is probably not related, but if I transfer a program from another TiVo, there is no entry in History when I delete it. Otherwise it indicates "Can Be Recovered" until I kill it, when it changes to "Deleted".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.