TiVo Community Forum banner

Would you buy Tivo again [YES] OR Generic (non-subscription service) DVR [NO] OR NEITHER

• Yes (Tivo Box)

• No (generic DVR non-subscription box)

• Neither

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer of Tivo since 2005. Decided that the subscription service is not worth keeping at the current rate given that we have a DVR with our cable provider. I thought one could at least record manually using the Series2 DT 80hr, but the on-screen prompts indicate that a subscription is required.

Is there any way to bypass this subscription requirement? Our household has paid about $3500 to tivo over the years so it is disappointing that the box is pretty much a brick now. We still have the analog Tivo box, but I could never figure out how to hook up a digital to analog converter to it so that has been a brick for a long time. I have owned phones after stopping carrier service and they still worked as a wifi device, app device, etc.

I am not sure why anyone would be a Tivo customer. Their 'customer service' when attempting to cancel service is very sketchy. Very disappointed in Tivo and will never use their services again.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Our household has paid about $3500 to tivo over the years so it is disappointing that the box is pretty much a brick now.
Ouch and this is why we've always purchased lifetime service for our TiVo's (S1, S3 and now Roamio). Far cheaper if you plan on keeping/using the TiVo long enough (and we always have with 7 years on the S1's, 8+ years on the S3's and over 2 years now on the Roamio).

Scott

·
wait.. I did what?
14,628 Posts
OP, You can buy a Series 2 with Lifetime for under $100 if you really wanted one.
I can't imagine how you spent that much on Tivo service over the years since if you're keeping a box Lifetime has always been the better value.
However I would like to thank you for your multi-year support of Tivo's bank accounts.

:)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
What are you paying for your cable company DVR? My company charges $20/month, which is more than the most expensive Tivo subscription. Knowing I would probably keep Tivo for several years, I spent $200 on a lifetime box which will last me indefinitely and has zero subscription costs. It's already saved me at least $4,000 over what I'd have paid the cable company. I really don't see how you have any basis for a complaint over Tivo costs when lifetime has been available as long as I can remember.

Would you complain that Honda is a terrible car company because you chose to pay $65,000 to lease one for 13 years rather than buy one for $15,000?

Besides the cable company DVR and Tivo, Windows Media Center on an old Win 7 computer is pretty much your only "free" option. I ran a system like that for years and would take a lifetime Tivo over it any day.

·
Tivo Hawaiian Style
816 Posts
What are you paying for your cable company DVR? My company charges $20/month, which is more than the most expensive Tivo subscription. Knowing I would probably keep Tivo for several years, I spent $200 on a lifetime box which will last me indefinitely and has zero subscription costs. It's already saved me at least $4,000 over what I'd have paid the cable company. I really don't see how you have any basis for a complaint over Tivo costs when lifetime has been available as long as I can remember.

Would you complain that Honda is a terrible car company because you chose to pay $65,000 to lease one for 13 years rather than buy one for $15,000?

Besides the cable company DVR and Tivo, Windows Media Center on an old Win 7 computer is pretty much your only "free" option. I ran a system like that for years and would take a lifetime Tivo over it any day.
It does depend on the box you get. I have 4 lifetime TiVos dead, and two old ones still working along with newer ones, only the last one, the Bolt was done monthly. Why, because there are now so many options out there for on demand viewing, it will likely be the last TiVo I buy.

Every other device I have apps work much better and faster and have a lot more selection. With on demand viewing, recording is becoming obsolete.

Lifetime service is a lot more than 200 bucks and it's only the lifetime of the box, which could die tomorrow.

Also when people lease cars, they don't keep leasing the same one, the idea being you getting a new car at the end of your lease when you start a new one. And sorry but 15k Honda, my last one was 30K.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I have the receipt for my $200 Roamio OTA with lifetime. Another $20 makes it work with cable.

Paid $8k for my used ‘03 Civic my kids are still driving. Paid $12k for my ‘01 new. Don’t think I could ever pay $30k. Point taken on turning over leased car every couple of years. But my point is pay as you go is far more expensive than lifetime.

Anyway, I understand where you’re coming from regarding switching to streaming. I’m right there with you. I’m probably 50% streaming, 50% OTA, 0% cable these days. But if you stick with cable, TiVo is still the cheapest option.

·
Tivo Hawaiian Style
816 Posts
Which is why I’m still on cable, they are the only real providers of highspeed internet here, maxed at 300 Mbps. Spectrum recently taking over waiting for prices and packages to settle. They do need a no sports package. Would cut cost in 1/4.

Some of us are no longer interested in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.