TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem with a Thomson Tivo (PVR10UK).

Decided to dust it down from loft and rebuild it after a disk crash years ago (has crashed before).

Used my old disc tools and an old copy of the Hinsdale guide. Restored some tivo_255_turbonet.bak file not sure where i got it from. Used Mfsrestore -s 300 etc . Then copykern and option 1

Plugged Tivo into my new shiny pioneer plasma via TV scart output, just a flicker as it powers up, but no display nothing :(

Tried plugging disk back into PC and when i try to mount the image i get "please specify partition type" i thought i had specified hdb1 maybe i didn't .

How do i verify what i restored is ok? (Apart from Tivo i know!) Obviously there's the chance it died sitting up in loft. Otherwise are there newer tools and perhaps a reliable tivo image available with tivoweb turbonet modules etc?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay ive managed to mound my old Tivo image from previous disk, all looks intact..well ive mount /dev/hdb4 and there is a file system msinfo also reported ok. It's like its lots the ability to boot from the disk.
Where do i start? Anything i should be looking for like err an autoexec ini type file?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay ive loaded up my old Tivo disk (which i believe is also shagged)

Run a mfsinfo /dev/hdb

MFS Volume set for /dev/hdb
The MFS volume set contains 2 partitions

/dev/hdb10
MFS Partition size: 512 MiB

/dev/hdb11
MFS Partition size: 27661MiB

Total MFS volume size: 28173 MiB

Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 30

This MFS volume may be expanded 5 more times.

but when i type mount..

/dev/hdb7 on /mnt/hdisk type ext2 (rw)

This is the only way i am able to mound /dev/hdb any other partition ie 1-6 8-14 fails with "you must specify the filesystem type"

on this mount i can see Tivo dirs /bin /etc /dev etc etc... why isn't it visinble under mfsinfo???

Anyway does any of this info help? This is my old disk which also doesn't boot.

Wish i had left the poxy thing in the loft now, what should of taken me about 30mins has taken 2 evenings..so far, i see sky+ boxes on ebay for 100 sheets! Id really appreciate someone making me feel like im not chasing my tail! :up:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right.. ive tested both drives.

Ive possibly confused myself in the process :(

Anyway my 'old' drive sort of boots I get the Welcome Screen

Then Tivo man and "almost there.." bit of chugging then reboots back to welcome..and cycles.

Other disk i attempted to rebuild doesn't even get to Welcome screen. Both definately have data on them but you're right i think one is mountable on hdb4 the other hdb7 (incidentally using MFStools 1.1 was more successful mounting over MFStools 2.0!)

PS i remember you i bought my Tivo off you with this upgraded drive many years ago (my old disk which now loops - samsung SP1203N), i remember mailing you and you were most helpful then, as you helped me rebuild my disk back then. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok

I think my main problem is i can't seem to wipe either disks and start again as i can't mount either disks now since ive restored images onto them, ie i can't mound /hdb only hdb4 or 7 depending on drive. Which then means i can't use mfsrestore, seems to complain as im writing to a partition and not the whole disk?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might be a good start if you could let me know by pm somewhere i could possibly find an image pref with all the latest modules i would be most grateful. And see above my main problem is now ive written images i can't seem to wipe what is on there. IE i can only seem to mount /hdb4 or 7 and not just /hdb so i can't seem to use mfsrestore to reaaply tivo image.

Can i use fdisk on the mfstools cd to wipe the disks clean and start again?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all of you for your contributions...of course..why am i trying to mount the whole drive :( too many late nights!

One more thing, is anyone willing to post me or post a link to a Tivo image for a Thomson series1 pref with latest n greatest mods Tivoweb drivers for turbonet etc?

THanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
blindlemon said:
mfsrestore -s 300 -r4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdX
Ok success thanks!! I now have an image that boots and loads from my original Samsung SP1203N Drive (120gig)

Tried the same on a Barracuda ST3200822A (200Gig) drive, doesn't boot. :(

Using MFStools 1.1 with above restore command and a certain persons tivolba.bak file (W_land) What am i doing wrong, should i try the new MFStools?

tia.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Still doesn't work on that drive. To summarise:

I downloaded that link to MFStools 2.0 booted up with Seagate disk as slave (hdb)

mounted my image supplied from wonderland which is tivolba48.bak which already has the large disk support (> 137GB).

mfsrestore -s 300 -r4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

completed ok. Put in tivo (jumpered to Master again) nothing.

GO back upstairs switch to slave, run copykern option 1 y, y,y.

Back down again, back to master. Plug in. Nothing. :(

SO ive managed to get this to work fine on my <137gbdrive with that image. What am i doing wrong?

ps no worries, hope youre not flooded

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes the Seagate drive 'was' fine, i mean i had a Vista image on it previously and it booted fine in my pc before i wiped it :(

No i don't get anything from Tivo just a blank screen. And it's defo jumpered to primary, because a few times ive plugged it back into my pc and left both DVD and disk on primary and the bios has nagged about it.

Is there any way of checking with a utility the boot sector etc of my disk to ensure everything is in the right place?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nope not tried that actually. So there's no way of checking or testing apart from wacking it in a tivo to see if it works? :-/

GOing to try that maketivo bootable thing

1 - 16 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.