TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
eversio11 said:
We have DirecTV service in the living room and one of the bedrooms. This is the standard one LNB sat. dish.
You have a dual LNB. A dual LNB refers to the number of outputs on the LNB and not the number of LNBs on the dish.

eversio11 said:
Now, if I order the DirecTV DVR 70 hour, can I record one show and watch one live show, or just record one and not watch another?
You can only use one tuner if you replace on of your existing receivers. You must add a multi-switch and run more coax if you want to use both tuners.

eversio11 said:
I also read somewhere that you can connect both a cable source and DirecTV source to the same standalone Tivo and get both programming at the same time. Does this enable me to record more or watch more because I have seperate sources?
That is for people who don't get locals via DirecTV. With some creative wiring, you can watch one show while recording another. There will be limitions and it won't be user friendly.

eversio11 said:
I know the DirecTV DVR doesn't have the exact TivoToGo feature, but does it have something similar?
If you want to hack it, then it has something similar. If you don't, then just add an external DVD recorder.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
eversio11 said:
I just read through the very useful LNB and multiswitch FAQ and I think I understand a little better.
Thank you for reading the FAQ first. Most people don't.

eversio11 said:
However, if I use a multiswitch, say 4 outputs (1 living room receiver, one bedroom receiver, 2 for my DVR) I can watch 4 seperate programs while still only using a single dual LNB?
Yes. With an 8 output switch and 8 tuners, you can watch 8 different programs. There are people here with 8 DirecTivos (16 tuners/16 different programs recording at the same time).

eversio11 said:
Do I have to pay DTV the extra room cost per month
Yes. You are paying a mirror fee for an additional receiver. They don't care how it is connected to the system.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
eversio11 said:
That fee is per tuner, not per receiver, right? So it would be $10/month for the dual tuner plus the $5.99/month.
Wrong. It's per access card. The DirecTivos have 1 access card, therefore 1 mirror fee.

eversio11 said:
Also, there shouldn't be a conflict with how many inputs I get for the multiswitch should there? I'll only have the two cables going in, but it doesn't matter if I get 3 or 5 inputs in a multiswitch and some of them are unused?
If you get a 4, 5 or 6 input swich just make sure you use the SAT A inputs only.

eversio11 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a 2x5 multiswitch, or any 2x anything multiswitch, and the most common I've seen is 3x8.
The 3rd input is for antenna. Ignore it.

eversio11 said:
I think I'll be getting 2 R15 DVRs
After all of this work at a Tivo forum and you are going with the non-Tivo solution. Please look at the R10s.

-Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.