TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,584 Posts
It generally doesn't save anything in the way of server resources because (a) the image will be cached locally and (b) if caching is disabled the original image being on the same page will still have the browser optimize the retrieval and only grab it once.

It generally makes things more confusing to determine what a reply is all about when the image is now not visible.

Actually I suppose it possibly requires slightly more CPU time on this site to determine to present a real img tag or a link to the image based on being inside or outside of a quote tag.

The only benefit is it cuts down somewhat on the length of a page of postings, which might aid people who print them out for whatever reason. There are times I've thought it'd be nice if quoted images could be reduced in size, too.

But honestly the link-only-when-images-are-quoted does rather annoy me much more than having the images there.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,584 Posts
David Bott said:
It cuts down on the thread rendering within the browser which makes for an issue when the thread is rendered. Ever notice the shifting of the browser window when images are called? Thus the processing on the browser end. More of an issue on slower machines or slower connections.

Personally when I browse a thread and find and image duplicated over and over again, I actually do not like it. I find it redundant.
That begs to be a user-controlled option.

I mean, why not just make all images only links? Why not just remove all graphics from the page entirely? That'll make a serious difference in the load of YOUR server. ;)

Heck, get rid of all links to avsads.com and the page will load a lot quicker more often; I can't count how many times I see that being the cause for the final rendering being delayed. It's almost been enough to make me write a Firefox plugin to remove any references to that site.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.