TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a S3 that I pulled from the trash that has a lifetime subscription and I guess TiVo will let you transfer subscriptions. My question is, can I transfer the subscription from the S3 to my Bolt? If not its no big deal. I like the S3 but I would like more tuners and the ability to use modern services.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Correction. I tried to activate it on my tivo account with no avail. Under settings I can see it has a lifetime sub. It's being used now in my room for ota. I pulled the tivo from the trash
I'll let others who have gone through the process provide further information, but others have been able to speak with TiVo and have a Lifetimed box transferred to their own account without the involvement of the previous box owner.

Good dumpster-diving there, by the way! :clapping:

·
formerly known as "unclehonkey"
2,751 Posts
Here is what I did when I picked up 2 Premiere's at goodwill with lifetime
me said:
Since you probably don't know who the previous owner was heres the best thing to do
-set them up and make sure they work
-once they are up and running let them connect for a few days (a week or so). In addition I did some forced connections.
-Then call Tivo and explain the situation. They will see that you've connected to them a few times and they will transfer them.
One thing though when you transfer them and they ask questions. One question they ask is what zip is it set up for. If you use a different zip than your actual one (I had to) make sure you give them THAT zip and not your actual.
Necessary to transfer used lifetime Premiere to my account?
Bought TiVo with lifetime at Goodwill, can't get in activated on my account
https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...hat-delight-you.478144/page-458#post-11699341

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll let others who have gone through the process provide further information, but others have been able to speak with TiVo and have a Lifetimed box transferred to their own account without the involvement of the previous box owner.

Good dumpster-diving there, by the way! :clapping:
Thanks guys. Now heres my next question, the S3 works and works great. But will tivo still move it? The S3 is fairly old and I tried to activate it under my account and wouldn't let me bc it was too old. Would this be an issue? Also, how often does tivo allow transfer of service? From a one lifetime unit to another.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Thanks guys. Now heres my next question, the S3 works and works great. But will tivo still move it? The S3 is fairly old and I tried to activate it under my account and wouldn't let me bc it was too old. Would this be an issue? Also, how often does tivo allow transfer of service? From a one lifetime unit to another.
I would think that TiVo would transfer the box, via a telephone call to customer support--it's still a fully-active model without restrictions, as far as I am aware. I would mention that you picked it up used, not knowing who the original owner was.

TiVo Lifetime transfer promotions are sporadic events--in the past few years, maybe 1 (or 2) times a year, and without notice that the promotion is going to occur or any guarantee that it ever will. The most recent promotions have been for the purchase of a new Bolt box directly from TiVo and then the transfer of Lifetime from an older box (the most recent promotion including the Roamio boxes in this) to the new box for $99--the old box then loses the Lifetime subscription (although TiVo sometimes has forgotten to deactivate an older box, especially in an earlier promotion). There has been a time eligibility requirement for this--the old box needs to be an "active" one, having connected to the TiVo mothership within a past period of time (1 year or 2?)--a good reason to have older, Liftetimed boxes connect up to TiVo periodically.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would think that TiVo would transfer the box--it's still a fully-active model without restrictions, as far as I am aware.

TiVo Lifetime transfer promotions are sporadic events--in the past few years, maybe 1 (or 2) times a year, and without notice that the promotion is going to occur or any guarantee that it ever will. The most recent promotions have been for the purchase of a new Bolt box directly from TiVo and then the transfer of Lifetime from an older box (the most recent promotion including the Roamio boxes in this) to the new box for $99--the old box then loses the Lifetime subscription (although TiVo sometimes has forgotten to deactivate an older box, especially in an earlier promotion). There has been a time eligibility requirement for this--the old box needs to be an "active" one, having connected to the TiVo mothership within a past period of time (1 year or 2?)--a good reason to have older, Liftetimed boxes connect up to TiVo periodically.
I'll keep an eye out. I just wrote an email to TiVo complaining about my Bolt. Maybe they can do something. I also expressed my concerns on preroll ads and how itll be the death of TiVo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.