TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I haven't been paying that much attention to pricing of late and the Giant thread about hte price changes isn't even a day of light reading...


Am I missing something or is it SUPPOSED to cost more to pay for a year of service on another box then if I just go month to month?

I have an "old" S2-DT that i used before I got my 2 S3's. I was thinking of adding it back on my account but when I go to tivo.com to price it, it looks like it's 10.95 a month for a 1-year commitment (or 131.40). But if I dont make the monthly payments and opt to just pay it all right now (and give them the use of my money for a year) it costs almost FIFTY dollars more to buy a full year at $179.

Am i missing something or is that the intent of the new pricing model???

I guess there's no discount for multiple boxes if I prepay?
 

·
TiVoholic
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
There is no prepay option for MSD.
 

·
Lord of Darkness
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Whats the point with Prepay if you do not get a discount and in fact pay alot more?

Just another of the Tivo Payment Plan mysteries. :D
 

·
TiVoholic
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Nobody is telling you to prepay. If you want MSD, pay monthly. Simple. What mystery?
 

·
O2->CO2 Converter
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
wolflord11 said:
Whats the point with Prepay if you do not get a discount and in fact pay alot more?

Just another of the Tivo Payment Plan mysteries. :D
The point is you don't prepay if you get the MSD.

Cost options (highest to lowest):
1. Monthly full price
2. Prepay
3. MSD

While that may be a mystery to you, it isn't that hard to wrap your mind around.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,959 Posts
They should offer MSD prepay plans that are lower than paying monthly MSD. I'd pay $199 for 3 years on a MSD box.
 

·
TiVoholic
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Prepay for MSD does not make sense because that rate is dependent on another unit in your account. Your "3-year MSD prepay" is no longer good for 3 years if you discontinue the qualifying unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,132 Posts
Wasn't there a point where people *could* prepay and the prepaid amount was simply deducted at the MSD rate rather than the current monthly rate?

If there was, I thought there was actually some logic in doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was..
 

·
TiVoholic
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Yes, for whatever reason, there are people who REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to pay monthly. You can buy a TiVo gift card and sign up with MSD.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,959 Posts
They could just make it $5 a box no matter what, and be done with it. Or just charge me what the box really costs to make, plus 25%, and make the service free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,471 Posts
mattack said:
Wasn't there a point where people *could* prepay and the prepaid amount was simply deducted at the MSD rate rather than the current monthly rate?

If there was, I thought there was actually some logic in doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was..
Yes, you still can - use a gift subscription (non-lifetime) or a gift card.
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
mattack said:
Wasn't there a point where people *could* prepay and the prepaid amount was simply deducted at the MSD rate rather than the current monthly rate?

If there was, I thought there was actually some logic in doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was..
I did that - the logic was grabbing one of the deals where the "rebate" was taken off upfront and you did not have to maill anything in :) TiVo closed that loophole though on such deals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
c3 said:
Yes, for whatever reason, there are people who REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to pay monthly. You can buy a TiVo gift card and sign up with MSD.
I think that's the move I'm going to make actually. It's a long story....
 

·
Wizard of Oz
Joined
·
796 Posts
Everybody always seems to forget to factor in the loss of compound interest on that money if you elect to pay one lump sum in advance --- it turns out pre-pay is really not as good a deal as one might think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
parzec said:
Everybody always seems to forget to factor in the loss of compound interest on that money if you elect to pay one lump sum in advance --- it turns out pre-pay is really not as good a deal as one might think.
sometimes there are other factors besides what is the most economical choice.

ease, convenience, etc.
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
parzec said:
Everybody always seems to forget to factor in the loss of compound interest on that money if you elect to pay one lump sum in advance --- it turns out pre-pay is really not as good a deal as one might think.
you are talking just a small amount on 300$ though.
 

·
Astute User
Joined
·
17,877 Posts
Arcady said:
They could just make it $5 a box no matter what, and be done with it. Or just charge me what the box really costs to make, plus 25%, and make the service free.
Most of the public doesn't think that way though.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top