TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I haven't been paying that much attention to pricing of late and the Giant thread about hte price changes isn't even a day of light reading...

Am I missing something or is it SUPPOSED to cost more to pay for a year of service on another box then if I just go month to month?

I have an "old" S2-DT that i used before I got my 2 S3's. I was thinking of adding it back on my account but when I go to tivo.com to price it, it looks like it's 10.95 a month for a 1-year commitment (or 131.40). But if I dont make the monthly payments and opt to just pay it all right now (and give them the use of my money for a year) it costs almost FIFTY dollars more to buy a full year at $179.

Am i missing something or is that the intent of the new pricing model???

I guess there's no discount for multiple boxes if I prepay?

·
TiVoholic
3,070 Posts
There is no prepay option for MSD.

·
Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts
Whats the point with Prepay if you do not get a discount and in fact pay alot more?

Just another of the Tivo Payment Plan mysteries. :D

·
TiVoholic
3,070 Posts
Nobody is telling you to prepay. If you want MSD, pay monthly. Simple. What mystery?

·
O2->CO2 Converter
2,657 Posts
wolflord11 said:
Whats the point with Prepay if you do not get a discount and in fact pay alot more?

Just another of the Tivo Payment Plan mysteries. :D
The point is you don't prepay if you get the MSD.

Cost options (highest to lowest):
1. Monthly full price
2. Prepay
3. MSD

While that may be a mystery to you, it isn't that hard to wrap your mind around.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
They should offer MSD prepay plans that are lower than paying monthly MSD. I'd pay $199 for 3 years on a MSD box.

·
TiVoholic
3,070 Posts
Prepay for MSD does not make sense because that rate is dependent on another unit in your account. Your "3-year MSD prepay" is no longer good for 3 years if you discontinue the qualifying unit.

·
Registered
26,132 Posts
Wasn't there a point where people *could* prepay and the prepaid amount was simply deducted at the MSD rate rather than the current monthly rate?

If there was, I thought there was actually some logic in doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was..

·
TiVoholic
3,070 Posts
Yes, for whatever reason, there are people who REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to pay monthly. You can buy a TiVo gift card and sign up with MSD.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
They could just make it $5 a box no matter what, and be done with it. Or just charge me what the box really costs to make, plus 25%, and make the service free.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
mattack said:
Wasn't there a point where people *could* prepay and the prepaid amount was simply deducted at the MSD rate rather than the current monthly rate?

If there was, I thought there was actually some logic in doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was..
Yes, you still can - use a gift subscription (non-lifetime) or a gift card.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
mattack said:

I did that - the logic was grabbing one of the deals where the "rebate" was taken off upfront and you did not have to maill anything in :) TiVo closed that loophole though on such deals

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
c3 said:
Yes, for whatever reason, there are people who REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to pay monthly. You can buy a TiVo gift card and sign up with MSD.
I think that's the move I'm going to make actually. It's a long story....

·
Wizard of Oz
796 Posts
Everybody always seems to forget to factor in the loss of compound interest on that money if you elect to pay one lump sum in advance --- it turns out pre-pay is really not as good a deal as one might think.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
parzec said:
Everybody always seems to forget to factor in the loss of compound interest on that money if you elect to pay one lump sum in advance --- it turns out pre-pay is really not as good a deal as one might think.
sometimes there are other factors besides what is the most economical choice.

ease, convenience, etc.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
parzec said:
you are talking just a small amount on 300$ though.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Arcady said:
They could just make it $5 a box no matter what, and be done with it. Or just charge me what the box really costs to make, plus 25%, and make the service free.
Most of the public doesn't think that way though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts