TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not really new, had it about 4 years ago with directtv... now im going back and learning that tivo is not going to be making directtv recievers anymore? Anyways, I found a guy selling one and wanted you thoughts and opinions on it. its a Phillips DSR708 80gb.... he's asking $65. Is this a good deal? Are they good recievers? better than the Directtv DVR's? Will they transfer shows to the pc? Will I have to pay TIVO for service or do I pay DirecTV? seems so much has changed over the years I dont know where to begin.

Daniel

· Dumb Blond
38,739 Posts
The DSR708 is a fine product. $65 does not seem unreasonable to me. Most people like them better than the corresponding non-TiVo product (R15), though opinions differ.

No transferring of shows or any network features unless you "hack" the box. You pay DirecTV for "DVR Service", not TiVo.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is this reciever going to be better than the one direct tv would send me with new service? I called directtv before you replied and she said id have to pay tivo for the dvr service.... im so confused... i dont know if I should spend the $65 for the Dtvio, or just take the DVR they give me when I sign up for DTV service...

· Just hangin'
12,629 Posts
If you get one from DirecTV, the R15, it will be considered a lease. If you get the used unit, you most likely will have to get a new access card from DirecTV ($20). Also, before buying that unit, you need to verify that there is no outstanding balance against it.

Which one is better is a subject that is discussed quite often. If you haven't had a TiVo based DVR before, then the R15 will work for you.

For more info about the R15 go here.
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JimSpence said:
If you get one from DirecTV, the R15, it will be considered a lease. If you get the used unit, you most likely will have to get a new access card from DirecTV ($20). Also, before buying that unit, you need to verify that there is no outstanding balance against it.

Which one is better is a subject that is discussed quite often. If you haven't had a TiVo based DVR before, then the R15 will work for you.
How do I know if there is a balance? I guess my confusion lies in who I pay DVR service to. If its a DirecTivo, do I pay Tivo or Direct TV? If I have to pay Tivo, Im not going to do it... but if its directtv, then its the same price as if I took their Dvr, which I can justify as I would rater have tivo instead of their dvr....

· Dumb Blond
38,739 Posts
You pay all to DirecTV - TiVo is out of the picture as far as your interaction. The price is the same whether it's TiVo-based or NDS-based (R15, etc.)

How do you know? Well, if you can get the serial number you can try calling DTV and asking. I think the DVR40 is not a "RID" (Receiver ID) box, so there is not a separate RID number, but if there is, you probably need that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.