TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Jon J. is correct .... Guide Data is delivered via satellite, so without a subscription you'll lose that information.
That's not my experience or understanding.

·
Dumb Blond
47,547 Posts
puffdaddy said:
On what do you base this statement?
How about the fact that my DirecTiVos haven't been connected to a phone line in a year and a half and still get guide data?

Maybe you think that the DTiVo will pick up program information from the OTA signals? That does tell you what show is on that channel NOW (usually) but doesn't contain info about the future or on other channels.

·
Registered
312 Posts
litzdog911 said:
How do you think it works?
I know how it works for my setup, but mine is different from stock systems, and I lose track of "how it works."

Some folks don't disconnect their sat feeds when deactivating service. Others don't connect the sat feeds with an inactive card inserted to fill up the guide data (and then disconnect the feeds, swap in their other card for which the DVR tier has not yet expired, and record OTA). Still others don't disassemble tivoapp and devise interesting patches.

So indulge my failing memory, how do you think it works? ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
stevel said:
How about the fact that my DirecTiVos haven't been connected to a phone line in a year and a half and still get guide data?
No argument that guide data arrives via the SDD, but what makes you think that a year and half after canceling service your DirecTiVos won't still get guide data? That's all I was asking.
Maybe you think that the DTiVo will pick up program information from the OTA signals? That does tell you what show is on that channel NOW (usually) but doesn't contain info about the future or on other channels.
I don't think they do read PSIP (as far as I know, atscapp doesn't bother with that). I was simply asking what evidence you had that the guide data would "stop," once service was canceled.

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
puffdaddy said:
On what do you base this statement?
He's right in that in all cases the guide data goes away eventually. I've had a couple that did get new data even without service, for quite a long time, but sooner or later ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have both basic cable and direct TV… On the Direct TV with TiVo box the RF input does not recognize cable…So without Direct TV Service I think the box is worthless. I recommend that you sell it on ebay- you could probably get 50 to 75 bucks for it.

Louie

·
Heavy User (of TiVo)
990 Posts
bonscott87 said:
When I deactivated my old Hughes E-86 the guide was immediately wiped. It's not a DVR so a DVR might keep the guide data for a couple weeks but will eventually run out.
I was told that my E-86 could not use the PSIP guide data broadcast by OTA digital stations.

Can you confirm that with your experience?

·
Done.
3,105 Posts
Budget_HT said:
I was told that my E-86 could not use the PSIP guide data broadcast by OTA digital stations.

Can you confirm that with your experience?
That is correct (I think). PSIP data *is* used to map the stations properly but it's not used for actual guide data. Now it could be that none of my local stations use PSIP for guide data and that wouldn't surprise me at all so maybe PSIP guide data works, but I don't really know. But when a station has had to change it's frequency assignment and thus changed the PSIP data stream you have to rescan for OTA channels to pick it up again.

I used the E-86 as OTA only for a while and have just recently unhooked it. But I can always fire it back up as an OTA only receiver if needed say during the fall network season.

·
Heavy User (of TiVo)
990 Posts
bonscott87 said:
That is correct (I think). PSIP data *is* used to map the stations properly but it's not used for actual guide data. Now it could be that none of my local stations use PSIP for guide data and that wouldn't surprise me at all so maybe PSIP guide data works, but I don't really know. But when a station has had to change it's frequency assignment and thus changed the PSIP data stream you have to rescan for OTA channels to pick it up again.

I used the E-86 as OTA only for a while and have just recently unhooked it. But I can always fire it back up as an OTA only receiver if needed say during the fall network season.
Thank you.

When we got our 2nd HD TiVo, the E-86 went into retirement, so it is not handy to pull out and test right now. I did try to use it for a time in our RV but the RF part of the remote seemed to want to control the built-in stereo system (cheapie provided by RV manufacturer) and it was too annoying to use.

I did like the flexibility of the E-86 with 4x3 TVs in terms of letterbox or pan and scan. It seems many newer units are lacking in that regard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.