TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
As a fan from way back in 1989, I have high hopes for this iteration of the series. That said, I think this pilot could've been helped by being longer. There was way too much crammed in to one hour.

I think that Ben and Addison were missing chemistry, and I hope that improves.

I enjoyed seeing the project in the present day and I had always hoped in the original series that we'd have gotten more glimpses than we did. Hell, we didn't see anything of the future until the leap back in Season 3 or 4.
I agree with all this. I'm not that interested in whether Ben and Addison have chemistry because the fact they're engaged doesn't really mean anything to me.
I'm a bit sad, I was hopping for Sammy Jo and not one of Al's daughter helping Ben. But Sammy Jo would be 55 in the new series.
I seem to have an Emmental problem. The one from "Dynasty"? That's the only Sammy Jo I remember and I never saw her in an episode. Maybe a clip.

How does a man with amnesia know Romanian?

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
I loved the original, but even with the trailers lowering any expectations, I thought this was bad, but on par with network TV these days which I find myself watching less and less. The acting was horrible and the plotline just stupid. If it wasn't for the original, I don't think I would have even tried it after seeing the commercials.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Well, I never caught the original Quantum Leap much, so I don't have much of a history. But I saw it on the TV schedule so I just hit record. The first episode seems interesting enough. I don't see myself becoming a fan, and it's a bit too much "mix and match" to my preferences (i.e.., there is just a fine thread holding the episodes together, but each episode has very little relationship with the next one - you might get an episode in a setting that's not of much interest to you so you pay little attention to it and likely miss some key overarching plot details because e.g., it takes place in the Wild West and I don't care much for that).

But it seems fun, and I guess I can see why people like it. I probably will watch a few more episodes before I decide if it's something I'd enjoy.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
LIke others, I was a big fan of the original. Yes,it was cheesy and a little over the top, but it was a fun show and, as others mentioned, Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were just fun to watch.

I was ok with this incarnation. I liked that it is meant to be a continuation of the orignal, with direct nods to Sam and Al, among other things. I also think this the pilot would have been better served with a 90 minute or 2 hour show. Lots of setup and backstory left little time for the main story.

As far as the modern-day scenes are concerned, I am cautiously skeptical about them. But TV shows are not what they were when the original was broadcast. You can basically watch the original episodes in any order (ignoring the final leap each episode.) The only ever arching theme in the original was "can Sam find a way home." But today TV shows all must have season long arcs. We already have the big question, why did Ben choose to leap? And what did Ben and Al's daughter discover?

I will give this show a few more episodes. But, I am betting this is a show that will start to build up on my Tivo and I will either watch in bulk or they will continue to fall down the Now Playing list.

·
3,531 Posts
My guess is that Ben was not himself, or at least not his present self, when he stepped into the chamber. Someone, probably future Ben, leaped into him, and controlled him to do all the stuff that he did behind his team's back.

If this is true, then it could very well be that he was the one who brought Al's daughter in for help rather than her convincing him to keep things from his team for some greater purpose that she had discovered.

As far as the writing was concerned, I do agree with those who think it was bad. There were too many moments of fake drama, where they tried to artificially amp it up only to then resolve it moments later.

Currently I haven't bought into any of the characters' relationships with anyone else. The first episode felt to me more like a dramatic reenactment of the story behind the Quantum Leap program's resurrection rather than making me feel as if I was watching the "actual" events.

The overall story was intriguing enough for me to keep watching, though, so I will continue for now, and hope that the writing improves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My guess is that Ben was not himself, or at least not his present self, when he stepped into the chamber. Someone, probably future Ben, leaped into him, and controlled him to do all the stuff that he did behind his team's back.

If this is true, then it could very well be that he was the one who brought Al's daughter in for help rather than her convincing him to keep things from his team for some greater purpose that she had discovered.

As far as the writing was concerned, I do agree with those who think it was bad. There were too many moments of fake drama, where they tried to artificially amp it up only to then resolve it moments later.

Currently I haven't bought into any of the characters' relationships with anyone else. The first episode felt to me more like a dramatic reenactment of the story behind the Quantum Leap program's resurrection rather than making me feel as if I was watching the "actual" events.

The overall story was intriguing enough for me to keep watching, though, so I will continue for now, and hope that the writing improves.
You are echoing my own thoughts, like you I am on the fence at the moment on if I keep watching. I would enjoy a storyline along the idea you put forward. I guess time will tell.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,345 Posts
I noticed 1 specific actor of a certain stature in the cast that we did not see and I assume that they will be playing Al's daughter
Interestingly enough they no longer appear on the cast list, but were on it before the pilot aired.
This was way off base since the Actor I saw is no longer listed in the cast at all, and not the one playing Al's daughter

·
Registered
182 Posts
I loved the original and watched it when it was on-air. Last year I recorded every episode since it was re-aired on one of the channels and binge watched them and they still hold up today. This new series is "ok" so far.
What I enjoyed the most of the original series was it's use of real happenings and intertwining with it. So far this series is creating characters from real times and changing what took place (the shuttle's mission was to dock with MIR and there was no one named "David" on the flight as portrayed in the episode).
I really enjoy when a character appears only to learn at/near the end that person goes on to be famous (Steven King for example) in the original series and I hope they bring stuff like that into this.
I don't recall Beckett leaping into someone famous (except for Oswald) so I'm not sure how I feel about this new series with him becoming Joe Montana.
I'm in for the ride; hope it improves; prays it doesn't get canceled before we learn just where he's trying to get to and why he didn't share anything with his fiancee.
I do like the tie-in with Al's daughter helping out.
Finally, while they haven't said he'll partake; I truly hope they, at least, get Sam home and he appears in an episode...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Here's a good list of the famous people who appeared as characters in the original show: Quantum Leap: Every Historical Figure Sam Beckett Encountered

Most of the ones where the celebrity was a significant character in the episode were after the Season 5 premiere featuring Sam leaping into Oswald. In the earlier seasons, those appearances were more incidental scenes in the larger story of the episode.

One of the things I liked about Quantum Leap originally was that it featured small personal stories for those characters and they weren't famous world-altering events. They lost me (and presumably many others) when they changed that and started doing the leaps with more famous characters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
But I do have a question for you: how would animal leaps work? You could run the animal through the leap process but talk about a shock. And how would the animal come back? Dog has to help someone out of a fire? Cat has to make sure the kitten pees in the litter box?
How does a person come back? The person has no control. Someone or something else is in control.

You are missing the important point. Complex systems such as that need to be tested. How to do that can be a challenge. The issues you mention would need to be considered. Criticizing a test such as you do here is easy. It is not easy to develop a relevant test but that is part of software and hardware development.

Not to mention Cat leaps into Dog, or mouse, or elepant. How would you observe it?
How are people observed? Other than the hologram, I have seen no way to determine that the person leaped successfully.

You can leap between species? Did Sam leap into a horse at some point?
As I said, comments such as that are very easy to make.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Finally, while they haven't said he'll partake; I truly hope they, at least, get Sam home and he appears in an episode...
Didn't the series finale of the original end with a title card or something saying Sam never found his way home?

I mean the characters in this series haven't seen that, so they don't know that trying to bring Sam home would be futile.
I could see chasing him down, having Sam talk with new Leaper, and new Leaper choosing never to return home...
Then again, as this series is rewriting history, who knows...

·
TiVo-Wobble
2,872 Posts
How does a person come back? The person has no control. Someone or something else is in control.
According to the finale of the original show, Sam did have control, he just didn't know it. The bartender (GFTW) told him as much. That is why, once Sam becomes aware, he controls his leap back to Beth to tell her to wait for Al which alters their future where they are together for 30+ years (and as we find in the new show, until Al's death) and have several children together.

It's like The Wizard of Oz where Glinda tells Dorothy in the end that she could have always gone home, but of course doesn't get that into until "plot happens".

GFTW = God, Fate, Time, or Whatever

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
15,669 Posts

You are missing the important point. Complex systems such as that need to be tested. How to do that can be a challenge. The issues you mention would need to be considered. Criticizing a test such as you do here is easy. It is not easy to develop a relevant test but that is part of software and hardware development.

How are people observed? Other than the hologram, I have seen no way to determine that the person leaped successfully.

As I said, comments such as that are very easy to make.
And this is why I have problems sometimes with these threads. You realize my post was a silly response, expecting silly answers, right?

Well sure, Dr. Sam Becket never returned home. Dr. Sam Beckett on the other hand...

·
TiVo-Wobble
2,872 Posts
And this is why I have problems sometimes with these threads. You realize my post was a silly response, expecting silly answers, right?

Well sure, Dr. Sam Becket never returned home. Dr. Sam Beckett on the other hand...
Yeah, production really screwed that one up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've KEEP forgetting to point out one HUGE difference between TOS and this one: WHERE is the person he leapt into?!
In TOS they were in a 'waiting room' and sometimes Al was able to get information from them to help Sam but there's no mention as to where the person is who he's leaping into - or how they just 'jump' back into themselves with no information (they weren't there - so how would he know he won the fight!?!?).
BIG LOOPHOLE!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts