TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Meh. It's been over 25 years. I certainly hope they didn't just blow away the dust and turn on the machine. I expect they were advancing it to try to better control the leaps. It will be interesting to see what they say about this. I can't remember if the opening episode of the original talked about the waiting room or not. I think it was at least a few episodes before they made it clear Sam switched places with people and they were back in a room and looked like Sam. The original show required the viewer to not dwell to much on the science behind the show. The "science" was as much fantasy as anything and had Al using a blinking translucent glowing Leggo controller. And perhaps there are still some limitations you mentioned. They had that one blonde guy watching over things while Addison stepped away for a bit, and he didn't transmit himself, instead just watching Ben. Since Addison was supposed to be the leaper, perhaps parts of the system were already calibrated for her? I'm all for having other people being able to project back too. It opens up more interactions and character development.
I rewatched the original Pilot Genesis a couple of weeks ago, and I don't recall any talk of the waiting room in the pilot since Al was under orders not to reveal too much to Sam the future or the project in general. But as I wasn't thinking about it directly, I might have missed it.

If I remember, Addison told Ben that he'd been working on this for the past 5 years. So they didn't just blow the dust off the gear and start it up.

Is it true that this was really supposed to be the third episode?
No, this was a new episode written and filmed when the network? felt the original pilot wasn't up to snuff. So they moved teh original pilot (San Francisco Earthquake) to teh 3rd episode. At least that's my understanding.

Reactions: bobcarn

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did anyone else think that Caitlin Bassett (Addison Augustine) resembles Lake Bell?

As for the show, I sure hope that people in real life are not as careless as these people are. Traveling through time is a highly critical (dangerous) thing to do. Imagine developers of AI cars being careless about the software. Imagine NASA and companies like SpaceX being as careless as the Quantum Leap people are. Software amateurs install software without testing but professionals know how to test software. They go through QA.

In this case, they could have and should have done some test leaps. Perhaps using animals at first. And people might say that it might have required too much time to develop a way to do such tests. Professional software engineers spend much time developing tests. After animals they could have and should have done some test leaps of just a few days or something like that; at least to determine things such as whether there is a problem with memory. The software should always be tested prior to deployment into production.

·
Bill Kearney
1,993 Posts
The Al (Stockwell) character from the old series was much better. Using the girlfriend here is nowhere near as effective, and that's no insult toward the actress or using a female character. The Al character had a whole other life, with plenty of life-lessons that came into play. The boyfriend/girlfriend dynamic totally misses from this perspective.

I'll leave a season pass set up to record it but I'm not expecting much.

·
Allan
2,686 Posts
Big fan of the original, but my wife and I both thought this was awful. Aside from anything else, I truly hate shows that treat the viewers as idiots (and lately there seem to be a number of such shows). From the bomb in the manhole doing no damage to anything to one man lifting a 250 pound manhole cover (with a crowbar, no less), to being able to reach in and grab the Hope Diamond when the power goes out to, well, to pretty much everything else in the show. Yeah okay, it's sci-fi - but that doesn't mean it has to be sci-fi-stupid.

We're out.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
As for the show, I sure hope that people in real life are not as careless as these people are. Traveling through time is a highly critical (dangerous) thing to do. Imagine developers of AI cars being careless about the software. Imagine NASA and companies like SpaceX being as careless as the Quantum Leap people are. Software amateurs install software without testing but professionals know how to test software. They go through QA.

In this case, they could have and should have done some test leaps. Perhaps using animals at first. And people might say that it might have required too much time to develop a way to do such tests. Professional software engineers spend much time developing tests. After animals they could have and should have done some test leaps of just a few days or something like that; at least to determine things such as whether there is a problem with memory. The software should always be tested prior to deployment into production.
To be fair though, it WASN'T ready. They were in beta, they were running simulation after simulation according to the tech guy, and were like a year out before they would do test subjects.

But I do have a question for you: how would animal leaps work? You could run the animal through the leap process but talk about a shock. And how would the animal come back? Dog has to help someone out of a fire? Cat has to make sure the kitten pees in the litter box?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
To be fair though, it WASN'T ready. They were in beta, they were running simulation after simulation according to the tech guy, and were like a year out before they would do test subjects.

But I do have a question for you: how would animal leaps work? You could run the animal through the leap process but talk about a shock. And how would the animal come back? Dog has to help someone out of a fire? Cat has to make sure the kitten pees in the litter box?
Not to mention Cat leaps into Dog, or mouse, or elepant. How would you observe it?

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
Oh, a time traveling cat would be such a bad idea.... It's bad enough when they hold a grudge going forward, imagine being able to project revenge backwards before the infraction occurs. ;)

·
Registered
20,104 Posts
I mean to be fair it is not uncommon for the Pilot episode to be no so great, unless I don't like the plot of the show (which in this case I obviously like the plot of the show because it's Quantum Leap), I'll give it a few more chances.

·
Librocubicularist
24,939 Posts
I thought this episode was ok... I'll keep watching it.

Unlike everyone else, apparently, I am not a superfan of the original show. :) It was on from what looks like grades 8-11 for me, and I wasn't really a very regular tv watcher until after college. I am familiar with the very basic premise of the original show because my mom watched it, and I would catch an episode here or there while she was watching, but that's it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The bomb was patently ridiculous. Not only are manholes usually fairly shallow, but I would expect that dropping a bomb into one is just likely to spray more road and other debris everywhere at ballistic speed.
Not to mention aren't there sewer gases which would make the explosion ten times worse?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I liked it. As fondly as we remember Quantum Leap, our fondness colors over the fact that it was melodramatic and often over the top and gimmicky. It portrayed stylized hollywood notions of different aspects of life and society (much like most TV dramas). Network TV is 99.9% either stylized and slightly sanitized aspects of life, or overly gritty making things hyper-realistic and just as artificial. I thought the opening show pretty much captured the feeling of the original, with some interesting and, to me, welcome changes.

I like the enlarged supporting cast. It creates more opportunities for storytelling as there are more characters consistent amongst the episodes. Each character has potential for growth and storytelling. I hesitantly like the ongoing plot of why he entered the chamber in the first place. I say "hesitantly" because I suspect there will be unnecessary plot twists for the purpose of keeping the viewers returning beyond just giving them a glimpse into next week's show.

Meh. It's been over 25 years. I certainly hope they didn't just blow away the dust and turn on the machine. I expect they were advancing it to try to better control the leaps. It will be interesting to see what they say about this. I can't remember if the opening episode of the original talked about the waiting room or not. I think it was at least a few episodes before they made it clear Sam switched places with people and they were back in a room and looked like Sam. The original show required the viewer to not dwell to much on the science behind the show. The "science" was as much fantasy as anything and had Al using a blinking translucent glowing Leggo controller. And perhaps there are still some limitations you mentioned. They had that one blonde guy watching over things while Addison stepped away for a bit, and he didn't transmit himself, instead just watching Ben. Since Addison was supposed to be the leaper, perhaps parts of the system were already calibrated for her? I'm all for having other people being able to project back too. It opens up more interactions and character development.

The problem with character development in the first series was that there were only two characters that could grow. Every other character had to be fully portrayed in just one hour.
I think this comes close to how I feel. The party didn't do anything for me and I was worried.

But I actually found myself liking the characters. They won't ever be like Sam and Al, but they're good enough. Plus this Al looks great, especially in her party dress.

I have a problem with not being able to recognize people in situations where I don't expect to see them. and somehow this is related. I thought the man in the mirror looked too much like the man whose life was supposed to be saved.

I found the whole process interesting and exciting.

I do wish they could go back further in time to when music was actually good. Although at the museum, if I'm remembering correctly, they played the song from Al Pacino's Oscar clip from "Scent of a Woman".

Cars looked good, but again, back when music was good, cars looked great.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts