TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
15,669 Posts
As for the show, I sure hope that people in real life are not as careless as these people are. Traveling through time is a highly critical (dangerous) thing to do. Imagine developers of AI cars being careless about the software. Imagine NASA and companies like SpaceX being as careless as the Quantum Leap people are. Software amateurs install software without testing but professionals know how to test software. They go through QA.

In this case, they could have and should have done some test leaps. Perhaps using animals at first. And people might say that it might have required too much time to develop a way to do such tests. Professional software engineers spend much time developing tests. After animals they could have and should have done some test leaps of just a few days or something like that; at least to determine things such as whether there is a problem with memory. The software should always be tested prior to deployment into production.
To be fair though, it WASN'T ready. They were in beta, they were running simulation after simulation according to the tech guy, and were like a year out before they would do test subjects.

But I do have a question for you: how would animal leaps work? You could run the animal through the leap process but talk about a shock. And how would the animal come back? Dog has to help someone out of a fire? Cat has to make sure the kitten pees in the litter box?

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
15,669 Posts
How does a person come back? The person has no control. Someone or something else is in control.

You are missing the important point. Complex systems such as that need to be tested. How to do that can be a challenge. The issues you mention would need to be considered. Criticizing a test such as you do here is easy. It is not easy to develop a relevant test but that is part of software and hardware development.

How are people observed? Other than the hologram, I have seen no way to determine that the person leaped successfully.

As I said, comments such as that are very easy to make.
And this is why I have problems sometimes with these threads. You realize my post was a silly response, expecting silly answers, right?

Well sure, Dr. Sam Becket never returned home. Dr. Sam Beckett on the other hand...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts