TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
As a fan from way back in 1989, I have high hopes for this iteration of the series. That said, I think this pilot could've been helped by being longer. There was way too much crammed in to one hour.

Overall I liked it. A bit rough, but better than I expected and I have to remember to compare it to the original pilot, not the later seasons after it found it's footing.
I think that Ben and Addison were missing chemistry, and I hope that improves.

I enjoyed seeing the project in the present day and I had always hoped in the original series that we'd have gotten more glimpses than we did. Hell, we didn't see anything of the future until the leap back in Season 3 or 4.

I'm a bit sad, I was hopping for Sammy Jo and not one of Al's daughter helping Ben. But Sammy Jo would be 55 in the new series.

I loved the 80's music, but the rest of the soundtrack was so meh.I really want to hear the theme music and see an intro.

I guess that they learned that not telling the leaper about the future didn't make a difference. Otherwise Addison wouldn't have given Ben the whole rundown like she did.

I agree that the bomb in the sewer was bad and why did Addison have to disappear before the bomb went off? In the past Al would've just stood there and walked through the ensuing explosion. I kind of missed that.

I liked the twist that Addison would've been the leaper and Ben the obsever. Not so much them being engaged. But that can provide some conflict going forward.

In the previews for the season there was a very brief shot of what looks like
Tom in Vietnam

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Meh. It's been over 25 years. I certainly hope they didn't just blow away the dust and turn on the machine. I expect they were advancing it to try to better control the leaps. It will be interesting to see what they say about this. I can't remember if the opening episode of the original talked about the waiting room or not. I think it was at least a few episodes before they made it clear Sam switched places with people and they were back in a room and looked like Sam. The original show required the viewer to not dwell to much on the science behind the show. The "science" was as much fantasy as anything and had Al using a blinking translucent glowing Leggo controller. And perhaps there are still some limitations you mentioned. They had that one blonde guy watching over things while Addison stepped away for a bit, and he didn't transmit himself, instead just watching Ben. Since Addison was supposed to be the leaper, perhaps parts of the system were already calibrated for her? I'm all for having other people being able to project back too. It opens up more interactions and character development.
I rewatched the original Pilot Genesis a couple of weeks ago, and I don't recall any talk of the waiting room in the pilot since Al was under orders not to reveal too much to Sam the future or the project in general. But as I wasn't thinking about it directly, I might have missed it.

If I remember, Addison told Ben that he'd been working on this for the past 5 years. So they didn't just blow the dust off the gear and start it up.

Is it true that this was really supposed to be the third episode?
No, this was a new episode written and filmed when the network? felt the original pilot wasn't up to snuff. So they moved teh original pilot (San Francisco Earthquake) to teh 3rd episode. At least that's my understanding.

Reactions: bobcarn

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
To be fair though, it WASN'T ready. They were in beta, they were running simulation after simulation according to the tech guy, and were like a year out before they would do test subjects.

But I do have a question for you: how would animal leaps work? You could run the animal through the leap process but talk about a shock. And how would the animal come back? Dog has to help someone out of a fire? Cat has to make sure the kitten pees in the litter box?
Not to mention Cat leaps into Dog, or mouse, or elepant. How would you observe it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts