TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't horrible... but it wasn't particularly good either. And most definitely not the Quantum Leap that I remember. I didn't expect that, but this fell below even my lowered expectations.

In the original show, Sam typically leapt into ordinary people with ordinary problems, and he and Al worked together to put right what went wrong in their ordinary lives. This was the antithesis to that... it was so over the top ridiculous. A undercover cop as a getaway driver getting involved in the theft of the Hope friggin' Diamond with the help with a bomb using an ungodly amount of C4, then having to get rid of the bomb by dropping it into a manhole? My eyes couldn't stop rolling through the whole episode. It was way, way, WAY too corny and over the top for it to have any semblance of the QL that I know.

The scenes from "the future" (our present) were frankly superfluous, an excuse to have a NCIS/CSU like "investigating team," one where every member of the team is deliberately written to be annoyingly "quirky." The original show was all about the past... the times that we got a glimpse of "the future" were few and far between. When episodes these days are shorter than even in the original series, to spend an inordinate amount of time in the future are an unfortunate diversion from what the show should be about.

Unlike the original, which went to great effort to do a nuanced portrayal of whatever time Sam leapt into... this felt like they leaned heavy on cliched references to sell that Ben was in 1985. Sam would slowly figure out the who, what, when, where, and why... but in this, because of the much shorter amount of time the show dedicates to "the past," they needed to rush Ben to immediately figure out some of that, and the way to do is is lean on cliched references.

I'll watch next weeks episode, but I'm obviously not really caring much for this.

·
Random Nobody
7,761 Posts
Uh.... The original pilot episode had Sam leaping into an X3 pilot. Let's see if they move away from primarily stunt situations for the bulk episodes. And from the upcoming previews, it looks like that might be the case. But even then, Sam leapt into non-ordinary folks regularly. Lee Harvey Oswald, Elvis Presley, Dr. Ruth (!!!) etc.

Though I do have trepidation about the "modern day" part of the show. In the original, it was used sparingly, with Al being the only conduit for the most part. I take that to be that modern audiences want a better "hook" to keep their long term attention.

I didn't see an overuse of cliche to set the era. It looks like they filmed the outdoor stuff around Los Angeles City Hall (the car chase), it didn't take much "dress up" to set the 80s. One thing that gives me a bit of hope is that music in the original was very important. It looks like this episode also leaned into that heavily. Though in the original, Sam was also a musician, but they haven't set up new guy as being musically capable, yet (if at all).

--Carlos "Oh boy!" V.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original pilot episode had Sam leaping into an X3 pilot.
You're right, but even there it wasn't like he leapt into a Top Gun pilot in the middle of a jet fight, then land and defuse a nuclear bomb... it was just "fly a plane really fast," which just happened to be the guy's ordinary job. It wasn't so "action movie" as this was.
I didn't see an overuse of cliche to set the era.
I dunno... the "Double Feature" marquee, the portable TV showing Live Aid (and the poster for the same), the people using a Walkman... all those felt like very cliche'd or very "surface" references to that time period (and all very convenient to be seen in the span of about 30 seconds after leaping in). The original would typically rely less on "surface" references like that and more on properly setting the overall "feel" of the era, or at least that's how I felt.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It seemed to be pretty abrupt for a first episode, especially with all the present/future stuff going on. It might have worked better as a two-hour premiere or a two-parter to set things up better.

It didn't help that I didn't find either Ben or Addison to be all that interesting.

It looks like "oh, sh*t!" is going to be the new "oh, boy!"

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bomb was patently ridiculous. Not only are manholes usually fairly shallow, but I would expect that dropping a bomb into one is just likely to spray more road and other debris everywhere at ballistic speed.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
I give it credit for being far better than it could have been.
They gave the proper fan service and respect to the original, Sam and Al, and having Al's daughter be part of it is a plus.
I thought the use of music and set pieces was well done, and I do enjoy the added focus to the present day, that will help widen the core cast to more than 3 people, and they made really solid casting choices IMNSHO.
I'm in for the season

I noticed 1 specific actor of a certain stature in the cast that we did not see and I assume that they will be playing Al's daughter
Interestingly enough they no longer appear on the cast list, but were on it before the pilot aired.

Reactions: gchance

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
That seemed like a very small explosion for that much c4. But I’m not going to have a c4 explosion search in my browser history 🙂 seemed like it should have taken out the entire block

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
As a fan from way back in 1989, I have high hopes for this iteration of the series. That said, I think this pilot could've been helped by being longer. There was way too much crammed in to one hour.

Overall I liked it. A bit rough, but better than I expected and I have to remember to compare it to the original pilot, not the later seasons after it found it's footing.
I think that Ben and Addison were missing chemistry, and I hope that improves.

I enjoyed seeing the project in the present day and I had always hoped in the original series that we'd have gotten more glimpses than we did. Hell, we didn't see anything of the future until the leap back in Season 3 or 4.

I'm a bit sad, I was hopping for Sammy Jo and not one of Al's daughter helping Ben. But Sammy Jo would be 55 in the new series.

I loved the 80's music, but the rest of the soundtrack was so meh.I really want to hear the theme music and see an intro.

I guess that they learned that not telling the leaper about the future didn't make a difference. Otherwise Addison wouldn't have given Ben the whole rundown like she did.

I agree that the bomb in the sewer was bad and why did Addison have to disappear before the bomb went off? In the past Al would've just stood there and walked through the ensuing explosion. I kind of missed that.

I liked the twist that Addison would've been the leaper and Ben the obsever. Not so much them being engaged. But that can provide some conflict going forward.

In the previews for the season there was a very brief shot of what looks like
Tom in Vietnam

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the original, they said that not everyone could just step into the imaging chamber... they said that the chamber had to be specifically tuned for the specific neurons and mesons in the observer's brain. There was at least one instance where Al wasn't available, and they had to scramble to try and get someone else (Gooshie, IIRC) into the chamber, and it only partially worked. They didn't seem to mention anything like that here, and that should have been an issue if Ben was originally supposed to be the observer.

Nor did they talk about the "Waiting Room," which is where the person being leapt into would be held. That seemed to be a more major oversight, or change, compared to the original.

·
Random Nobody
7,761 Posts
Nor did they talk about the "Waiting Room,"
I knew I was forgetting something. Considering this is the same universe as explicitly mentioned in the script, and there were major plot points that used the room in the original, I wonder why they dropped it. They would have known about the undercover cop when they started interviewing the leap target.

--Carlos V.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
The scenes from "the future" (our present) were frankly superfluous, an excuse to have a NCIS/CSU like "investigating team," one where every member of the team is deliberately written to be annoyingly "quirky." The original show was all about the past... the times that we got a glimpse of "the future" were few and far between. When episodes these days are shorter than even in the original series, to spend an inordinate amount of time in the future are an unfortunate diversion from what the show should be about.
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I found the 'future' scene's far more interesting than the 'past'. The upside, they held my attention, and I'm interested in how the story plays out. The downside, is that's notable because te 'past' scenes didn't really hold my attention at all. I found myself giving no figs about the 'past' plot, for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Maybe this could have been remedied by spending more time in the past, making it better. But I'm concerned that if they went that route, and still missed as they did in this episode, that I might lose interest. We'll have to see how it goes. Can't overly judge a reboot by the first episode, since it's really hard to satisfy both old and new viewers in a single swing.

·
Birthday Hug Monkey
27,801 Posts
I liked it. As fondly as we remember Quantum Leap, our fondness colors over the fact that it was melodramatic and often over the top and gimmicky. It portrayed stylized hollywood notions of different aspects of life and society (much like most TV dramas). Network TV is 99.9% either stylized and slightly sanitized aspects of life, or overly gritty making things hyper-realistic and just as artificial. I thought the opening show pretty much captured the feeling of the original, with some interesting and, to me, welcome changes.

I like the enlarged supporting cast. It creates more opportunities for storytelling as there are more characters consistent amongst the episodes. Each character has potential for growth and storytelling. I hesitantly like the ongoing plot of why he entered the chamber in the first place. I say "hesitantly" because I suspect there will be unnecessary plot twists for the purpose of keeping the viewers returning beyond just giving them a glimpse into next week's show.

In the original, they said that not everyone could just step into the imaging chamber... they said that the chamber had to be specifically tuned for the specific neurons and mesons in the observer's brain. There was at least one instance where Al wasn't available, and they had to scramble to try and get someone else (Gooshie, IIRC) into the chamber, and it only partially worked. They didn't seem to mention anything like that here, and that should have been an issue if Ben was originally supposed to be the observer.

Nor did they talk about the "Waiting Room," which is where the person being leapt into would be held. That seemed to be a more major oversight, or change, compared to the original.
Meh. It's been over 25 years. I certainly hope they didn't just blow away the dust and turn on the machine. I expect they were advancing it to try to better control the leaps. It will be interesting to see what they say about this. I can't remember if the opening episode of the original talked about the waiting room or not. I think it was at least a few episodes before they made it clear Sam switched places with people and they were back in a room and looked like Sam. The original show required the viewer to not dwell to much on the science behind the show. The "science" was as much fantasy as anything and had Al using a blinking translucent glowing Leggo controller. And perhaps there are still some limitations you mentioned. They had that one blonde guy watching over things while Addison stepped away for a bit, and he didn't transmit himself, instead just watching Ben. Since Addison was supposed to be the leaper, perhaps parts of the system were already calibrated for her? I'm all for having other people being able to project back too. It opens up more interactions and character development.

The problem with character development in the first series was that there were only two characters that could grow. Every other character had to be fully portrayed in just one hour.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
The scenes from "the future" (our present) were frankly superfluous, an excuse to have a NCIS/CSU like "investigating team," one where every member of the team is deliberately written to be annoyingly "quirky."
THAT'S IT! While I was watching I was thinking they're doing the same thing that the Macgyver and Magnum PI remakes did...team effort! but yea now I realize they all did that and this for the NCIS/CSU ensemble cast feel. I didn't like how the team each had scenes where they doubted themselves only to be reassured seconds later. I didn't like how slick and backlot set it all looked. I didn't like a lot of it, but I'm giving it another shot because I was a big fan of the original.

Speaking of the waiting room, I posted this in the remake announcement thread, but now that we know this is a continuation of the original...where is Sams body? Sure he never made it home, but if he was still leaping a new personality would be popping up in Sams body locked away in some military hospital somewhere since the project was abandoned. How long was it abandoned? Al only died a year ago, did he abandon Sam in the past? Hope some of this is touched on, but they probably want to stay away from the original connections except for the name drops.

Is it true that this was really supposed to be the third episode?

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...where is Sams body? Sure he never made it home, but if he was still leaping a new personality would be popping up in Sams body locked away in some military hospital somewhere since the project was abandoned. How long was it abandoned? Al only died a year ago, did he abandon Sam in the past?
That was the plot of the last episode of the original series. There was no one in the waiting room. It turned out that Sam started to leap as just himself, not leaping into anyone, and Al the Bartender (“god, or fate, or time”) revealed to Sam that if he continued to leap, the leaps would be self-directed, but would get much harder going forward.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
That was the plot of the last episode of the original series. There was no one in the waiting room. It turned out that Sam started to leap as just himself, not leaping into anyone, and Al the Bartender (“god, or fate, or time”) revealed to Sam that if he continued to leap, the leaps would be self-directed, but would get much harder going forward.
Whew, glad it isn't as dark as I was thinking.

·
TiVo-Wobble
3,285 Posts
Alright, here it goes. I can see I'm not alone here in my love for the original series, glad to see that. One of my favorite shows of all time. I'm not saying the original was one of "the best" shows ever (hell, Knight Rider is also on my list if that tells you anything) but for me, Quantum Leap was such a fantastic show with a majorly strong hook for making it a weekly, essentially non-linear show. The show often shone a lens on real issues that spanned the decades and commented on those issues in a relatively lighthearted, but often thought provoking way. Someone commented earlier that celebrities were also involved in-show but that was really only in the last season as the producers/network were trying to stave off cancellation and wanted to spice things up. Many fans often see that as a major deviation away from what really made the show, Sam jumping into the lives of relatively average people.

When I first heard about a reboot/new series, I was very happy that someone out there thought enough of the show/premise to take another crack at it. Then I became afraid that they would screw it up and I have waited with fear/anticipation for this new show. Now having seen it, I will say it was better than I expected, but certainly a product of its time. I just re-watched the first 4 episodes of the original show (thanks Peacock/NBC) so I could see how well my memory has held up and to better compare them. IMO, what did and will continue to drive the most criticism of the show is that for those of us comparing it to the original, and certainly those who watched it first-run, is that today's version is made for the current short attention span world of the typical viewer. It has to jump in straight away, there's no real time for long setups and slow reveals of backstory/character history b/c they'll lose the audience that's geared for information overload and if they get bored, they'll move onto something else. So I get that they had to be flashy with the over the top story of a Hope Diamond robbery and explosives and all that. Hopefully that will settle down a bit soon but I have my doubts. The cast is decent so far, but man it just screams diversity casting. NOT saying that's a bad thing, it's just so overt. There's simply no comparing a new cast to the magic of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, that was such a good match. And sure, it's nice to have more players in the mix as others have said.

So, I'm intrigued so far and will continue with it to see where it goes. I wasn't expecting greatness or perfection or a repeat of what came before, and I do appreciate that it's not a straight up reboot but a continuation so as to honor the original show's legacy.

Finally, the chatter about Bakula may be true about him not being involved but I could also see it being a big diversion to hide a stunt casting for a future episode where he does show up/crosses paths with our new leaper. Maybe Sam could end up being the new Evil Leaper? ;)

·
Birthday Hug Monkey
27,801 Posts
Alright, here it goes. I can see I'm not alone here in my love for the original series, glad to see that. One of my favorite shows of all time. I'm not saying the original was one of "the best" shows ever (hell, Knight Rider is also on my list if that tells you anything) but for me, Quantum Leap was such a fantastic show with a majorly strong hook for making it a weekly, essentially non-linear show. The show often shone a lens on real issues that spanned the decades and commented on those issues in a relatively lighthearted, but often thought provoking way. Someone commented earlier that celebrities were also involved in-show but that was really only in the last season as the producers/network were trying to stave off cancellation and wanted to spice things up. Many fans often see that as a major deviation away from what really made the show, Sam jumping into the lives of relatively average people.

When I first heard about a reboot/new series, I was very happy that someone out there thought enough of the show/premise to take another crack at it. Then I became afraid that they would screw it up and I have waited with fear/anticipation for this new show. Now having seen it, I will say it was better than I expected, but certainly a product of its time. I just re-watched the first 4 episodes of the original show (thanks Peacock/NBC) so I could see how well my memory has held up and to better compare them. IMO, what did and will continue to drive the most criticism of the show is that for those of us comparing it to the original, and certainly those who watched it first-run, is that today's version is made for the current short attention span world of the typical viewer. It has to jump in straight away, there's no real time for long setups and slow reveals of backstory/character history b/c they'll lose the audience that's geared for information overload and if they get bored, they'll move onto something else. So I get that they had to be flashy with the over the top story of a Hope Diamond robbery and explosives and all that. Hopefully that will settle down a bit soon but I have my doubts. The cast is decent so far, but man it just screams diversity casting. NOT saying that's a bad thing, it's just so overt. There's simply no comparing a new cast to the magic of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, that was such a good match. And sure, it's nice to have more players in the mix as others have said.

So, I'm intrigued so far and will continue with it to see where it goes. I wasn't expecting greatness or perfection or a repeat of what came before, and I do appreciate that it's not a straight up reboot but a continuation so as to honor the original show's legacy.

Finally, the chatter about Bakula may be true about him not being involved but I could also see it being a big diversion to hide a stunt casting for a future episode where he does show up/crosses paths with our new leaper. Maybe Sam could end up being the new Evil Leaper? ;)
Nah. Sam would never be the Evil Leaper. He's too much of a boy scout. :) But I too think that there's likely some diversion so that he can make a surprise appearance. Though I do wonder if a modern equivalent of an evil leaper would ever surface.

The original show would jump right into things too, and like standard TV shows, they'd have over-the-top stories (like jumping into Lee Harvey Oswald). I believe that what made the original show so compelling is that both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were just so likable as actors it was hard to not like a show with them in it. The shows themselves were genuinely good, and their own charisma as actors made you want to keep tuning in.

While I liked this first episode, it wasn't great, but also... it was a first episode. All shows' first episode tends to be rougher than what comes later. I'll remain optimistic for now because I didn't see any egregious flaws, but also because I want to see if Sam makes an appearance, though I don't expect it would happen until much later in the season.

After the original series aired, I'd catch reruns on USA. I realized they were going through the series in order, and when they started from the beginning, I recorded them all on VHS. I had my VCR set up to record daily and I'd put two episodes on a tape. I printed out labels in color, with different colors and dates/episode titles. On the shelf, they looked pretty awesome all lined up. I think most got trashed now once I fully moved away from VCRs. <sigh> I think I figured I'd buy them on DVD and then decided not to because I'd see if I could just get them into a streaming library.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts