TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Serious TiVo User
1,181 Posts
The IR wand is a help as it gets the signal straight to your set top box - but as I've discovered this week, not essential as mine seems to have stopped working due to some heavy handed rewiring (yanking) behind the boxes last week. I've had to change to front IR blaster and so far I haven't missed a single channel change. Thankfully, I have a spare from an old Philips US TiVo but that requires hours of box opening so I'll make do for now!

As you say, people do throw away the strangest things, but the chances are what you got was a house clearance where the person clearing the house didn't have a clue as to what a TiVo was - I mean look at it - it doesn't have any buttons or knobs, and nowhere to insert anything so how can it possibly be useful? ;)

I'm sure you'll be using your TiVo soon and wondering how you ever got by without it (I know I did when i started using mine - but that was way back in the past now at the end of 1999.

And if you don't think it's your cuppa, you'll easily turn a tidy profit on the bay of e's if you chose to shift it on.

One word of advice (probably useless but hey): If you ever want the TiVo in the RF chain, make sure your Freeview box is the first after the aerial and then pas it's output to TiVo. It was the other way round in the sheet provided by TiVo in their initial distribution and caused no end of problems with Freeview signal degradation.

One other point that you may have picked up in other threads already - currently for some reason, TiVo's automated suggestions, which used to be incredibly accurate (for me anyway) has recently, for no explainable reason turned into a pile of dɐɹɔ - so suggestions may not be the killer selling point that it used to be...

·
Serious TiVo User
1,181 Posts
Oh, what a shame you didn't even give it a go, especially after the help we gave you get it up and running. I was sure when I suggested you sell it on that you'd at least try it for a day or two first and be convinced at how much better TiVo is than anything else on the market even after all this time.

I now sincerely regret and apologise to other forum members that I jokingly made the suggestion of selling the TiVo on e-bay as quite a few people put in quite a bit of advice about getting this up and running for this newbie only to find out that it seems he's only interested in making it financially viable anyway. Sorry, lads & lasses.

Oh well, you live and learn I suppose. Some are just out there for the money. At least he was decent enough to thank us for our efforts - far more than most would do and that at least makes him an OK guy my eyes I suppose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.